Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Installing Creative Cloud app with Parallels on Mac

Community Expert ,
Mar 18, 2019 Mar 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I have only been using Adobe software for 30 years, but I am stumped on this one.

I am trying to install only the Creative Cloud app on Windows, which I run through Parallels on my iMac. I am getting a message saying the installer can't be run from a network drive, and sure enough, when I look in the Windows File Explorer, the location is    > Network > Mac > Home > Downloads.

This is not an office network. It's something that Parallels is doing on a single computer. Office 365 installed without a hitch.

Hardware: iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017)

OSX: High Sierra 10.13.6

Windows 10.1809

Parallels 14.0.1-45154

I need to be able to either:

• Install the CC app through a "network" or
  • Find a way to move the installer to a non-network location (I tried Desktop) or
  • Another solution?

Here are my screen shots:

~ Jane

ACP on the forums

Adobe Certified Instructor: InDesign, Illustrator, Acrobat

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happened when you tried to drag it to your Windows desktop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jane, when you install on the Parallels virtual machine are you utilizing the steps listed in Learn how to download your Adobe Creative Cloud apps to begin the download and install process?  Also, you mentioned that the User Downloads folder is mapped to the Downloads folder on the Mac.  Is it mapping to Users/<UserName>/Downloads, Jane?  If so, is there a way to turn this mapping off?  To most closely emulate a Windows computer, I would recommend that you verify the User files are being stored within the Virtual machine. 

If successful, Jane, you may want to consider mapping different folders to allow easy transfer of files and documents between the Host OS and the Virtual Machine.   I typically keep one folder in my macOS User documents folder specifically for transfer files to and from virtual machines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To Test Screen Name

I tried the desktop and it was the same — it’s also on the “network”.

To Jeff A Wright

Jeff, this sounds like what I need to do, but I need better steps. I used to be an expert in DOS and even in Windows, starting with the 2.0 text-driven version. But when OpenType came out, I dropped Windows (was that CS2 or CS3?) and have become less and less proficient in it over time.

Why do I need Windows now? Because of the way Acrobat differs on Mac and Windows, especially with Office. I installed Windows a few months ago when I was working on an Audition project with another ACP and needed to have it for that project. I mostly work on Mac.

So your questions:

• Is there any way to turn the mapping off? I don’t know how, but that would be awesome, especially since the other potential solution of getting the CC app to install on my “network” is beyond my control and will probably never happen.

• The user files appear to be mapped, as I can see all my files that I’ve done on the Mac side in Windows File Explorer. That was not true when I used VMWare and Windows on my old Mac. I don’t like the way it is now; I would prefer to keep them separate. I don’t know how to change it.

• With VMWare, I would just copy a file from Finder and paste it to Windows File Explorer and vice versa. Using one folder for transfer is a good idea, once the main part is solved.

• I don’t know the steps to turn off the mapping. Can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks, Jeff and TSN!

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the update, Jane, I have not used Parallels for several versions, but with VMWare I am able to configure the settings under Sharing preference within each VMs settings.

Jane, I did find the following help document which discusses setting up the shared folders in Parallels at KB Parallels: Unable to see Mac Shared folder in Windows .  The screenshots of the Sharing setting appears to also give you the ability to adjust if folders such as the download folder are mapped to the Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't observed any such mapping (doesn't mean you don't have it, but I didn't have to turn it off). How do you open a desktop view? I ask because Windows Explorer normally just shows "Desktop" rather than any actual folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To Test Screen Name and Jeff A Wright

It says “Desktop” for the location. In Windows File Explorer I can see the objects on my Mac desktop, and when I go back to the Mac, I can see the objects on my Windows desktop.

I did try lauching the CC app installer from the Mac desktop. As expected, it failed.

I have a little bit of reading to do first, it appears. I may wait until morning when I am fresh.

Thank you both!

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 15, 2021 Jan 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had similar issue and then success after changing the download location from '\\Mac\Home\Downloads' to local disk 'C:\Users\myname\Downloads'.

OSX: High Sierra 10.13.6
Parallels: Version 16.1.2 (49151)

Windows 10 Home

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2021 Mar 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you it works now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2022 Nov 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much. this simple solution worked like a charm, Your brilliant.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, if you're using "Coherence" I'd turn it off. It did try it once and didn't like the way I could no longer tell whether things where happening in the VM or on the Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe you can make a new folder on C: and use that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2019 Jun 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As stated by the prior response, I dragged the installer file to the C: drive on the virtual machine and it worked perfectly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2019 Aug 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometime the simplest answer of all is the best one and the only right one. Well done!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2022 Apr 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found the solution to this problem. Don't run the install files from your downloads folder, or any folder that is shared with your Mac. I copied and pasted into my Program Files with admin access and then the installation file ran just fine. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 22, 2022 Aug 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get an erorr sayi sng this version is not support for this operatiing system do you have a download link for the version your using? Im running Windows 11 on Parallels 18 bevlieve I downloaded the arm 64 bit version but no matter what I try and do I get errors when installing Move to program files for install and gave permissions. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 23, 2022 Aug 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you on an M1/M2 Mac?

And where do you run the download from?

I downloaded the arm 64 bit version   ... Of what?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 01, 2023 Jan 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Brilliant thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines