• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Installing Creative Cloud Desktop but I got Error 13 an issue permission on my MacBookPro, why?

Explorer ,
Aug 26, 2013 Aug 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Adobers,

I bought my Creative Cloud plan, and I'm going to download and Installa the Creative Cloud Desktop App before getting all the CC softwares I need. But when I download the "CreativeCloudInstaller.dmg" on my new MacBookPro Retina with OS Lion 10.8.4 and I start the procedure, the package during the installation ask me for my Mac account password to make some changes... after then it show me an error message: Error 13... something related to a permission issue in writing in a folder for cookies.

Please, see the screenshot:

Screen Shot 2013-08-26 at 10.12.21 PM.png

PS: I have tried all suggestions found in this forum... verifying permission with Utility Disk, writing in the Terminal the codelines suggested, creating a new user on my mac etc... nothing worked for me!

Thanks a lot!

Marco

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Aug 27, 2013 Aug 27, 2013

Hi Romit,

thanks to Maurizio (Apple Store Business, Firenze - Italy) I got the right fix to the issue I found during the installation of the #CreativeCloud Desktop App.

So, when while installing the CC Desk App, we got the "Error Starting Creative Cloud - cookies dir: cannot make folder /cookies: Permission denied (error 13)" alert message pop-up, we are experiencing a problem in folders Read&Write permission with our Administrator User account on our Mac.

http://f.cl.ly/items/0t1v2w0S3I1b1S1w1G46/Screen%20Shot%202013-08-26%20at%2010.12.21%20PM.png

Well, before fix this issue, we need to un

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Marco Lodovichi,

Please enable root account and try installing from there: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1528 .

Regards,

Romit Sinha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Romit,

thank you for your reply... but I do not have any "chackbox" to enable the root user in my Directory Utility Window, as you can see in the screenshot attached:

http://f.cl.ly/items/0I0B1G0C1w0y2H393z0D/Screen%20Shot%202013-08-27%20at%201.16.17%20AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry Romit... I found this other suggestion:

"You should be in the Directory Utility at that point where you will see Enable Root User under the Edit menu.

So, you should see "Directory Utility" named next to your Apple menu..."

Now I'm going to enable my Root User.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Marco Lodovichi,

Please find the attached screenshot:

root.PNG

Regards,

Romit Sinha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Romit,

I have done the installazion under the Root User, and it run nicely and I can sign in after to Adobe CC and browser the Apps to install... but if I switch back to my administrator account I can find there the CC Desktop and if I launch it I still get the same error13... again and again... every time I click OK, the error message pop up again shortly endless!

Also if I try to sign in to the Adobe CC I got a server error, obviously.

http://f.cl.ly/items/0N2t1a0i460i0L3D3z0O/Screen%20Shot%202013-08-27%20at%2012.42.10%20AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please follow the mentioned steps:

1. Navigate to Library/Application Support/Adobe and give full permission to everyone.

2. Navigate to ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe and give full permission to everyone. (http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/access-hidden-user-library-files.html)

3. Library/Preferences and give permission to everyone

4. ~Library/Preferences and give full permission to everyone (http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/access-hidden-user-library-files.html)

For unknown server error please follow the mentioned kb: http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/unknown-server-error-launching-cc.html

Restart your machine and try to launch the software.

Regards,

Romit Sinha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I need to access hidden files before... and after give to all them you told me full permission. But all the above procedure have to be done under the Root User? Or under my Administrative User where I'm experiencing the issues?

Also how can I manage to give full permissions to folders after showing hidden files?

Thanks again,

Marco

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try these steps from the account where you are experiencing this issue.

Please refers the mentioned kb showing steps to implement permission: http://www.macinstruct.com/node/415 on folders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok Romit,

I was gone to the folders you told me, selected and clicked cmd+i and via the Get Info File I switched for "everyone" to "Read&Write" permission.

Restarted my Mac... launched the app again, but nothing to do it seems:

http://f.cl.ly/items/420r101D0q243H2y341G/Screen%20Shot%202013-08-27%20at%202.08.53%20AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here you can see an example on how I have done the folder permissions change:

http://f.cl.ly/items/00333t093303222F3w2b/Screen%20Shot%202013-08-27%20at%202.15.17%20AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Marco Lodovichi,

Please refer the mentioned thread for similar issue: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1264415 .

Regards,

Romit Sinha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 27, 2013 Aug 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Romit, yes I tried before what the other thread suggest...

I have launched the commends in my Terminal, but nothing is changed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 27, 2013 Aug 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Romit,

thanks to Maurizio (Apple Store Business, Firenze - Italy) I got the right fix to the issue I found during the installation of the #CreativeCloud Desktop App.

So, when while installing the CC Desk App, we got the "Error Starting Creative Cloud - cookies dir: cannot make folder /cookies: Permission denied (error 13)" alert message pop-up, we are experiencing a problem in folders Read&Write permission with our Administrator User account on our Mac.

http://f.cl.ly/items/0t1v2w0S3I1b1S1w1G46/Screen%20Shot%202013-08-26%20at%2010.12.21%20PM.png

Well, before fix this issue, we need to uninstall the CC Desk App and we have to know that the #CreativeCloud Desktop App is trying to make a "cookies" folder at this path (in our Mac😞
/Macintosch HD/Users/[your user]/Library/Application Support/Adobe/

The issue: the App has no permissions to create the /cookies/ folder inside the /Adobe/ folder - So, we just have to fix the permissions for /Adobe/ folder giving our Administrator User Account a "root access" to that folder!

Press and hold the Alt/Option key while clicking "Go" in the Finder menu (that's how the usually hidden user ~/Library/ folder will appear listed in this menu); click that folder Library, and select the /Application Support/Adobe/ folder by one-click on it; Then click the Command key + i key (cmd+i) to Get Info about that folder.

Go to "Sharing & Permissions" area at the bottom of the window, unlock it at the bottom right corner of the window and give to all the names listed "Read&Write" permissions.

Finally, click on the little gear symbol at the bottom of the window to apply changes to all the items inside the folder. Lock it again and close the window.

Reinstall the #CreativeCloud Desktop. Now it will run properly!

Hope this really help you, 'cause that workd for me. 😉

Thanks,

Marco Lodovichi

http://f.cl.ly/items/1q3h2H3h143V3O0N0S0M/Screen%20Shot%202013-08-27%20at%2011.14.17%20AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2013 Dec 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

marco como estas .

hice todas las indicaiones que tu propones pero aun no he podido solucionar nada, si me puedes ayudar por favor .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2014 Nov 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Marco your solution worked perfectly!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 27, 2014 Dec 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much, this worked out great for me!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2013 Dec 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This can occur because the ownership for the directory that the Adobe uses to install support files into is set incorrectly. You can verify this by bringing up a terminal window and typing:

ls -ld ~/Library/Application\ Support/Adobe

^   ^ (these are lower case L's, not upper case I's)

A correct result will look like this:

drwxr--r--  27 <your username>  staff  918 Dec  7 00:05 /Users/<your username>/Library/Application Support/Adobe

(The user and group are correctly set to <your username>:staff)

and an incorrect one will look like this:

drwxr--r--  27 root  wheel  918 Dec  7 00:05 /Users/<your username>/Library/Application Support/Adobe

(The user and group are incorrectly set to root:wheel)

If you don't know your username, first type:

whoami

The result will be your current username

You can now fix the incorrect ownership by typing this:

sudo chown <your username>:staff ~/Library/Application\ Support/Adobe

(Don't actually type the angle brackets around the "your username" part; replace it with your real username - ie. the result from "whoami")

This command changes the ownershp of that folder to <your username> as a user, and <staff> as the group. Because of the "sudo" in the previous line, you'll have to type your logon password to authenticate and run the command.

You can re-run the directory listing command to make sure your changes worked:

ls -ld ~/Library/Application\ Support/Adobe

You should now be able to reinstall Adobe CC without issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 24, 2014 Apr 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I also encountered the same error on my Apple Mac Book Pro running OSX Version 10.9.2 (Mavericks). First I encountered the "Error 13" where the Creative Folder was unable to complete the Installation and came up with a message "Error Starting Creative Cloud" Cookies Dir Cannot Make Folder /Cookies Permission Denied (Error 13). First I followed the below procedure :-

1. Completely Uninstall the Adobe Creative Cloud from the Applications.
  2. Click on the Finder and Go to Folder ~/Library/Application Support
  3. Right Click on the Folder and Click on Get Info (cmd+i) and refer to the "Sharing & Permission"

Abode CC Cloud.png

1. Unlock using your Password the Sharing and Permission Control.
  2. Add the Username that you have logged in and make sure it has "Read and Write Access" Refer to "Sriharshaa Prabhakar"
  3. Click on the "Small Settings Icon" and Select "Apply to enclosed items"
  4. Click on Lock
  5. Install the Adobe Creative Cloud.

I also encountered an error while logging into the Creative Cloud after successful installation. I chose the below method to resolve the issue"-

1. Quit the Adobe Creative Cloud from the Task Bar above.
  2. Click on the Finder and Go To Folder ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe
  3. Right Click on the Folder OOBE and Click Get Info.
  4. Rename the Folder to OOBE.old
  5. Launch the Adobe Creative Cloud
  6. Loginto to the Adobe Creative Cloud and chose the Application that you want to Install.

Thanks for all the help and hope the procedure above helps people who are looking for step by step approach to solve this silly installation issue.

Regards,

Sriharshaa Prabhakar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2014 Jun 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Someone at Adobe - HELP! 

I have a BRAND NEW iMac, and the installer dies with the is same error message:

Error Starting Creative Cloud

cookies dir: cam not make folder /cookies: Permission denied (error 13)

I tried the fix above: making the directory Read & Write -- no luck.  BTW: needing to do this workaround is a complete failure on Adobe's part building their installer.

How about you FIX THE INSTALLER!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2014 Jun 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue with the installer is ridiculous! I've followed all the different items in this thread, and the installer and cloud continue to fail.

Adobe needs to get their poop in a group with this installer and NOT force their customers to spend an entire morning attempting to continually install this software package!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2014 Aug 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't get the CC app going either. Have tried all the suggestions in this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 06, 2014 Aug 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I FINALLY got it to work.  I found a link to install JUST Lightroom, and ran that installer.  That installer fixed the core issue, so when I tried CC Installer, it then worked.

Basically; they have a permissions/rights issue in their installer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2014 Aug 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks BKEV. That seemed to work for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2014 Sep 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David! Can you share the lightroom link? I'm experiencing the same problem, but cannot find the solution. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines