Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Installing Photoshop CS4 on Mac OS Mojave version 10.14.2

New Here ,
Dec 31, 2018 Dec 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Photoshop CS4. How can I install it on Mac OS Mojave version 10.14.2

I downloaded it from here, but I could not open it. https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/cs5-product-downloads.html

When I clicked on setup it opened a window that said Systems Requirements error: This software cannot be installed because the file system of the Setup volume is not supported.

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 31, 2018 Dec 31, 2018

Case sensitive drive formatting https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2296860

Even if your Mac's drive formatting would work, that is REALLY old software

CS6 and earlier programs HAVE NOT BEEN TESTED AND WILL NOT BE UPDATED for Mac El Capitan or newer operating systems

-which means that you try to use CS6 and earlier at YOUR risk of having problems due to Apple updates

-this is about the 4+ year old CS6, but it will probably apply to other programs of that age

-Apple did not maintain backward compatibility

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Case sensitive drive formatting https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2296860

Even if your Mac's drive formatting would work, that is REALLY old software

CS6 and earlier programs HAVE NOT BEEN TESTED AND WILL NOT BE UPDATED for Mac El Capitan or newer operating systems

-which means that you try to use CS6 and earlier at YOUR risk of having problems due to Apple updates

-this is about the 4+ year old CS6, but it will probably apply to other programs of that age

-Apple did not maintain backward compatibility with old programs in El Capitan or newer operating systems

--Adobe has a workaround to Apple's problem of not maintaining backward compatibility

--READ HERE https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2301916 for an Adobe solution to installing old programs, including a link to installing the old Java runtime that is required

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks John. I know it's an old version! When i bought it I hoped it would last.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It will last as long as you have a compatible computer and operating system

Owners of old programs simply have problems with new Mac operating systems... none of which is Adobe's fault... Adobe did not change your old program to make it stop working... Apple changed their operating system and THAT is why your old programs won't work, not because of anything Adobe did... Also... every time Apple issues an update, there is the risk that an old program that HAS been working will STOP working... bottom line, old programs require a matching old operating system AND a computer with a compatible hard drive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2019 Jun 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You do realize that this didn't actually answer the person's question, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it did

CS4 will not install AT ALL on a case sensitive drive

And I provided Adobe's instructions on how to work around Apple's lack of backward compatibility

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you did. I posted that comment to the wrong thread. I apologize. I also thought I deleted the post. Oh, well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2019 Aug 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently updated my operating system to mojave and CS4 design standard (illustrator + photoshop + all the other programs) STILL WORKS on my mac book pro.

this suggests that if you first install an old mac operating system, then install CS4 whatever, then update the operating system, you could get CS4 working on a mac case sensitive drive.

this is obviously a pain, and i havnt tested it ( other than the fact that CS4 is running on my mojave operating system), but i thought i'd share this with you.

someone should try it and report their findings back. i hope it works, i have a perpetual CS4 license 

my macbook pro was bought in 2015 which is when i re-installed CS4 illustrator and photoshop ( i forget which version of the OS i had at the time)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 12, 2019 Aug 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, for people with a new Mac, installing an old system and then updating the system isn't an option, because new Macs won't run old systems. (Deliberately locked out by Apple).

Be aware that in Catalina, the new mac OS system coming this fall, CS4 will absolutely not run, not ever, no tricks to make it work, because all old 32-bit apps are locked out by Apple. Soon, people will be buying Macs that can't run systems as old as mojave, so soon CS4 will be dead for them. CS5 and CS6 versions of many apps will also be dead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2020 Jun 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Perpetual License? Hah!

I had one of those, I had run it on the old mac machines that I had. I thought it was perpetual cos I had paid $600 for the design premium set of CS4 back in 2011.

And then last year when I migrated onto my 'new' Mac Mini late 2014 it redused to install. after 90 minutes on the phone to adobe they tell me it was a fake copy all along. they would not justify this statement. they handled any irritation / disbelief by the usual cheap strategy of characterising me as violent.

scumbag operation.

So @bernard21 make hay while the sun shines and may light perpetual shine on you! Adobe will stiff you in the end

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines