• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Linux Support

Community Beginner ,
Aug 25, 2018 Aug 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I understand why Adobe eliminated their perpetual license products.  I'm unhappy about it, but I understand that its a business decision. 

Their subscription software replacement, from what I understand, is first rate, if exorbitantly expensive, BUT, it can only be used if you have a Windows or Mac machine.  I don't do Windows or Mac.  I do Linux. 

Why will Adobe not offer their products for use on a Linux platform?!  They would not have to release their source code, they could just offer the product for another platform... and possibly circumvent the various open source free products from further development after which they would become serious competitors.  As they are already supporting Mac, which is basically a BSD OS, it wouldn't be all that difficult to port it to Linux.

I now have to acquire a Windoze machine which I am not happy about, just so I can use Adobe products.  Adobe, you in cahoots with Microsoft and Apple?  Money changing hands in the back rooms?  Hmmmm?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cloud on Linux asked 8-29-2012 https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1057800 and has not happened

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not surprised really

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are way too many distributions of Linux.

Adobe would have pick just one or two like Corel did with Aftershot.

No collusion, it's just too much work and not enough return.

You could try Wine or CrossOver to run Photoshop on your Linux machine.

WineHQ - Run Windows applications on Linux, BSD, Solaris and macOS

WineHQ - Adobe Photoshop

Run Windows Software on Linux with CrossOver | CodeWeavers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is my understanding that the current Adobe products do not work with Wine.  I don't do Wine as in my experience, unless you want to play solitaire, it really doesn't work very well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2019 Jan 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If they made a version that would run on Debian then a lot of people would have access to it, and those on red hat or arch could probably get it working anyway. I's not like every distro is a new OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do Linux. 

Which version exactly? There are so many variants.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't really care which distribution they'd choose.  Other than different installation procedures, they all pretty much work the same way.  Most of my machines run Fedora twenty-something, but I also have a couple of Raspbian machines, a few other Debian-based distributions  and I've played with a few others.

Whether or not I have to enter the command "yum install Adobe Whatever" or "apt-get install Adobe Whatever" is unimportant to me.  If I had to download a proprietary daemon installer, I would be happy with that as well.

As it is, I will be getting a used Windows machine JUST for Adobe, and as soon as the GIMP, Inkscape, and/or Scribus can handle CMYK so I can produce press-ready files, I will be migrating back to the open source products.  As all I really need is actual pure black, I suspect it won't be all that long a wait.

On that day, it should be fun to watch the prices on the Adobe products drop.

Mostly this is just an angry rant.  I don't expect a company that is nearly impossible to contact to take any notice of one crazy old man's rant 'cause, hey, I'm just one crazy old man who will be dead in another decade or two most likely.

For those who actually think that there is no back-room deal making going on between the IT giants, well, I guess you probably believe in honest politicians and little green men as well.  I used to be naive as well. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I learned a long time ago that worrying about conspiracy theories and back room deals is a pointless waste of my time and energy.

Either I use Adobe‘s products or I don’t. My choice. I don’t use Linux. I use both Windows and Macs. So I’m in the happy position of being able to use Adobe products. That’s where Ieave it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2018 Nov 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, if you don't use it why do you come and comment about what you don't know?

About "which one". There is 1 linux. There are 2 or 3 major windows managers. They are all inter-compatible to each-other.

Just look at what Steam did with linux! Do you think they kept supporting it +extend to proton if they hadn't linux people buying games???

With Adobe CS it is even a higher market, for one single reason. Coders that build websites need it!!

I would buy Adobe CS if it did run on linux.

Instead, we have people that never used linux being "experts" on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 01, 2018 Dec 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might like to know that Adobe's creative products are no longer called CS, they are CC (Creative Cloud) and are subscription only. Would you still want it for Linux at $50 per month, subscription only?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Photoshop & Lightroom isn't $50/mo.

I personally already pay for it. As a web developer dealing with NodeJS, I find Windows lacking. Based on Mac's history with architectures no longer used and with the new ARM architecture of their upcoming products, I don't trust Mac will support my Macbook Pro for much longer. I would like to assist the push for Linux support. I have always said that if Adobe were to support at least 1 distro of Linux, I'd only keep Windows around on a laptop that I only use for testing on that OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 01, 2018 Dec 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have it through corporate and work. If I change my job, and I will next year, and I need the Suite, Cloud, what not and I would not have it and need it for work, yes.

Basically, I'd pay as much as the normal subscription for Windows and mac for home use.

It's funny that companies use market share as an excuse, it's just prejudice and preconceptions against linux, as chrome laptops are sometimes supported and have a much lower market share.

Using a virtual machine like right now is annoying, so,yeah,  obviously I'd buy it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Dec 14, 2018 Dec 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can think of 100+ bug and major workflow issues that need to be fixed before Adobe should even think about spending the massive amount of resources it would take to port Premiere to another OS.  If they did go ahead and port Premiere to Linux before (and presumably, at the expense of) fixing the current bugs and workflow issues, I imagine it would piss off a lot more users than it would please, myself included.  Just a thought.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 14, 2018 Dec 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1) welcome to 2018, where everyone can't understand the concept of freedom of choice. Comply is the motto.

2)Code is code, if they have code that works for Windows and Macosx it should not take more than a couple of months, at least for 2 or 3 products.

3)my company has a license, I end up not using it. So, if it would piss you to accomodate clients, imagine how it pisses us(Linux market share is about half of Macosx , even without main programs being built for it!)

4) it's just bad business, basically because they would get new clients.

5)your logic and not remotely knowing how coding works is legendary in the bad way of being legendary.

6)please enumerate the 100bugs instead of being a hater on people that have different OS choices than you (faster,safer, more efficient and better looking)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2019 Aug 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is better combination linux + ryzen + adobe

They rewrote the adobe suite by mac and don't want to make a simple port?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 06, 2019 Aug 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, adobe started on macs back in the 80's, years before any adobe application was ported to windows.

Flatpak might make it easier for adobe to port to Linux.

https://flatpak.org/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 06, 2019 Aug 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually Adobe are doing the first port of Photoshop since rewriting in Cocoa... they are targeting a single OS and platform, the iPad Pro. I don't know if you will find this encouraging, but I imagine they will wait for the sales data. Then consider Android tablets. Then maybe if they are still buzzing with success you'll be able to tell them how much money they will make from a Linux port.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2019 Oct 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

forget adobe on linux then just find an alternative they are good and alot of the time free they are also better in some cases and very similar in layout to adobe I use all alternatives on my mac and linux machines runs fine could love without adobe 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines