• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[Locked] No perpetual licenses are you serious?

Explorer ,
May 06, 2013 May 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just head that Adobe was planning to abandon its perpetual license in favor of an on line only rental program. At first I thought that this must be a joke. I have been using adobe products for 18 years. Primarily Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign. I am currently an owner of CS 6 Master collection and obviously do upgrade my products and have consistently done so over the years. I am not connected to the internet full time and in fact my work computer is never directly connected to the internet. So how does this work? Is adobe now forcing me to connect to the internet - it seems that this is the case.

In regards to upgrade cycles, I dont want to rent my software and be tied to a rental agreement. I want to upgrade when I choose, not rent my software like some kind of loaner program!

I want to purchase the software then not worry about it. For instance when I travel, I dont want to be bogged down with downloads and upgrades chewing up my bandwidth. I have traveled to many places where internet access is very limited. Downloading from a wireless card in China is painful, I dont want to be bogged down with no software or large megabyte downloads costing me a fortune on the other side of the planet.

Adobe I know that I am just one person and you will probably not listen to me but did someone ask? No one asked me about this. How simple could this be - I want to buy the software then use it when I want where I want, is this too much to ask?

Please let me continue to use this software in the way that I have used it for so long. If others wish to have the creative cloud then great! More power to them, don't alienate your other users. Please provide both alternatives.

Best regards - Matt

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 1886 Replies 1886
Explorer ,
May 19, 2013 May 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forcing a subscription model down user throats (under the subterfuge of the "cloud") is an amazingly egomaniacal move.

It reminds me of how Quark committed corporate suicide and ceded their dominance to inDesign. Now it's Adobe that is the arrogant bully.

I suggest we are about to witness a repeat of history.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://www.copy.com/include/images/images-std/about-copycrane.png

Ta heck with 20 gigs Creative Cloud storage at $50.00 a month!

Check this link out for 15 gigs at $0.00 per month... perpetually! For Ever..

Click this link to grab an extra 5 gigs to make it 20 gigs! perpetually! For Ever..

https://copy.com?r=IxfiUJ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

History will tell but in 20 years kids will say Adobe? what did they do who were they?

Adobe is on its way to being extinct

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or buy a 20 gigs USB stick! What does it cost? $ 12,-  it last for years and you have always access to it. What a crap that creative cloud storage nonsense!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe's decision for "cloud only" amidst perpetual license holders began as an issue and concern of "choice" by most and financially by many. With Adobe's continued lies and deliberate acts of misinformation to consumers it has now moved directly into the realm of ethicality and moral aptitude of a corporation. Adobe has treated it users with such abandonment of any civil and honest business practices that even "Creative Cloud Subscribers" should now be taking a serious look at Adobe's chosen business practices as a whole and directly relating to them. It should be a sad time for any and all Adobe employees to be apart of these continuing corporate blunders and be labeled under this same manifestation of ineptitude by Adobe to its consumers. The only thing perpetual at this point is not Adobe's software licenses but instead the lengths and measures of misinformation and lies that they are willing to produce to consumers to ensure profits.

Read page 3 of this thread to see Adobe's actions as just one exmple:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1203580?start=80&tstart=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 20, 2013 May 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would switch to Corel if any of their products had a full CMKY mode, as oppossed to CMYK separation.  Is the full version of Photoshop the only option for CMYK editing ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am 100% against forcing users from standalone products to the Cloud.  I do not trust the cloud.  I do not want my work on the cloud, I do not want to have to have an internet connection to be able to use SW.  I want to buy the SW, install it on my computer and then use it at will as often or rarely as I deem fit without having to pay every month for the privldege.   This is terrible move by Adobe and I hope there are others out there that will reject this development and refuse to buy into the CC.  -- Dan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm 100% against forcing users to rent software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BlueThird wrote:

Completely understand. That is why we continue to sell CS6 (indefinately), and plan to update it to support the next major releases of Mac and Windows.

This is covered in the FAQ:

http://www.adobe.com/go/cc_faq

mike chambers

mesh@adobe.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, I can't find that in the FAQ anywhere.  How many OS X iupgrades will Adobe continue to support as CS6 grows old in the tooth?  I guarantee that wolnt\'t last very long.

Second, how does that help me if I buy a new camera that is not currently included in CS6?  Since I use Lightroom as well that has the equivalent of Adobe Camera Raw built in, how will they work together in the future when LR is upgraded but PS is not? 

Adobe has lost me as a customer if they continue down this path exclusively.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 07, 2013 May 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will Adobe continue to update ACR when new cameras are made?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 08, 2013 May 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe plans to sell CS6 indefinitely, but they won't support it or create new versions of it. Why? Everything that is cool is now in the cloud. It's the same thing as telling me I can still download CS1 or CS2—although it is ancient technology and no longer relevant compared to today's software standards, it is still available. There will be no use in downloading CS6 3 to 4 years from now.

I just get upset at how Adobe thinks they know their customerbase by imposing their opinions, telling everyone people prefer the subscription model over standalone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indefinitely doesn't mean forever. It just means 'as of now we don't have a set end date'.  A year from now, 6 months from now Adobe could say 'with the massive success of CC we've decided to focus all of our energies where our customers want them...on improving the cloud so we'll no longer sell CS 6'

Of course, a year from now they could also decide 'yeah, doesn't work so well, guess what kids, CS 7 will be out.....'

CS 1 adn 2 are pretty much dead in the water. Rendered obsolete by operating systems improving past what they can handle. Eventually the same will happen with CS 3, 5 and 6.

We'll get a few years, and that's presuming that there's no future incompatibility or vulnerability that rears its ugly head in the future.

As to competitors, yes, some will step up. Adobe was there to take in the disgruntled Final Cut folks, and someone else will be there to take the disgruntled Adobe folks. It's the cyclical cycle of business.Within a week or two the forward thinking ones will be putting blurbs on their sites, welcoming new customers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm curious as to how people still think CS2 does not function on a modern OS? It runs perfectly fine on win7 or 8 (even 64bit), setting it to run as administrator, and running in XP SP3 compatibility mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have running version CS2, CS3, CS4, CS5 & CS6 - all on the same MAC.

(cause compatibility with periphery and Add ons) No Problem.

(And if think nearly 90% of my image editing work can be done with V CS2)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 14, 2013 May 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MikeChambers wrote:

BlueThird wrote:

Completely understand. That is why we continue to sell CS6 (indefinately), and plan to update it to support the next major releases of Mac and Windows.

This is covered in the FAQ:

http://www.adobe.com/go/cc_faq

mike chambers

mesh@adobe.com

So if one kept CS6, would the apps in it be different (less advanced-less features-etc.) than the CC ones?  What is the advantage of going CC?  And, I'm confused on the pricing, a page says for current CS6 users there's a deal for $19.95 (for the first year) per month; which I presume Adobe will decide what the price is after.  I got caught into signing up for a year committment for a single app CC subscription for Muse ($14.95/month), there is no easy to stop this even after the 1 year committment agreement - you can't stop it; at least not through any method I've found online - most want you to call a phone number.  I know that in this day and age there is no reason why if I signed up for it online I can't stop it.  Is this going to be the blueprint for the whole cloud?  And with one app for that cost, what's the cost for all the apps that are in my current CS6 Design Premium?  There's a lot of info left out, and the part that upsets me the most is there's no way out once you're in and have fulfulled the year committment on the agreement.  Somehow I thought my expired credit card would stop it but somehow Adobe was able to bill me with an expired card.  Doesn't leave you with much confidence in what else is being left out and what power they have to keep you from leaving.

Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2013 May 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike,

You say that you will be selling CS6 indefinitely. I have three questions:

Will CS6 remain available as an upgrade for users of CS4 and CS5 over the next three years?

Will the price of the upgrade to CS6 fall at any time due to it's age in relation CC features and if so, when?

Will you continue to supply camera RAW plugin updates for CS6 as new cameras come onto the market over the next three years?

I am a retoucher. I rely on being able to open other people's RAW files. I have CS5 and I have had no use for CS6. I have been caught out in the past with not being able to open new Camera RAW files when you bring out new versions of Photoshop. I understand that DNG Converter for CS5 has stopped being upgraded with new camera RAW file details.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 15, 2013 May 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes you can upgrade to the already outdated CS6 instead of spending the same money for a brand new CS7 that is not there!

Or get trapped in the new subscription system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 17, 2014 Aug 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your answer does not address Lightroom users. I use Lightroom. I don't use other Adobe programs. There is no suscription for Lightroom only at a reasonable price. $10 a month is very expensive compared to getting a perpetual license that one can use for several years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2014 Aug 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't use lightroom, but I get what you're saying. The Cloud is only a good offer if you're buying the whole suite. By now, I think the question is not, "when will Adobe come to their senses", but "when will avid and sony screw us".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2014 Aug 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although CC might be a good solution for business users, it certainly is not for private persons like me using the PP suite just for hobby purposes. So I rather stick with CS6 than paying a monthly fee and eventually not being able to access my family and vacation movies after quitting my subscription.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2014 Oct 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AVID is already starting up a subscription model...it's already happening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 25, 2015 Jul 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about Lightroom, will this continue to be available as a stand alone product?

Thanks, Patrick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌yes lightroom is available as a standalone. It is hard to find on their website but it's there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!  I was able to get a copy of this - let's hope the conversion from CC to LR6 goes smoothly.  Thanks again! Patrick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines