Highlighted

Looking for a fast external SSD. Please advise

New Here ,
Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Adobe community,

I’m a digital artist and I use PS on a Mac Pro 6.1. These are the current specs:

3.5 Ghz 6-core Xeon E5

64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3

AMD FirePro D300

500 GB SSD

All this time I’ve been using my internal disk as a boot disk, for file storage and as a scratch disk. Not wise, I know! My work has become more demanding lately, working with 10GB PSB images, often dealing with more than 200 layers. I’ve already ordered a 1TB internal SSD to keep my files and I’m looking for a fast (~1200mb/sec r/w) external drive to use it as a scratch disk. So, I have a couple of questions:

1. Is there a fast enough external drive out there that I could use with my MP 6..1?
  2. What do you guys use as scratch disk?

Thank you in advance!

PS. This is the 2nd time I'm posting this question. My first post was deleted and I don't know why!

[Moved from Community Help (which is about the forums) to a better forum... Mod]

TOPICS
Installation

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Looking for a fast external SSD. Please advise

New Here ,
Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Adobe community,

I’m a digital artist and I use PS on a Mac Pro 6.1. These are the current specs:

3.5 Ghz 6-core Xeon E5

64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3

AMD FirePro D300

500 GB SSD

All this time I’ve been using my internal disk as a boot disk, for file storage and as a scratch disk. Not wise, I know! My work has become more demanding lately, working with 10GB PSB images, often dealing with more than 200 layers. I’ve already ordered a 1TB internal SSD to keep my files and I’m looking for a fast (~1200mb/sec r/w) external drive to use it as a scratch disk. So, I have a couple of questions:

1. Is there a fast enough external drive out there that I could use with my MP 6..1?
  2. What do you guys use as scratch disk?

Thank you in advance!

PS. This is the 2nd time I'm posting this question. My first post was deleted and I don't know why!

[Moved from Community Help (which is about the forums) to a better forum... Mod]

TOPICS
Installation

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Feb 19, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I use for an external is a dock with "bare" hard drives... you might look for a similar dock that will work with an SSD

External eSata or USB3 or Firewire are all fast enough for video editing
A possibility is this USB3 dock with fan to swap 'bare' drives for backups http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-SuperSpeed-Docking-Station-Cooling/dp/B0055PL2YI or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147511

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 19, 2020 0
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm afraid that's not an option. The bus speed of Mac Pro 6.1 is 2 GB/sec. So each of the four USB ports is 500 mb/sec 😞

A Thunderbolt 2 or 3 drive would work better I guess.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 19, 2020 0