• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

M1 native apps on m1 without Rosetta 2

Participant ,
Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If this has been discussed elsewhere, I apologie and ask that you move my post accordingly:

I was very excited when Apple rolled out Apple Silocon and mentioned Adobe amongst the first adopters of this paradigm shift in personal computing. The M1's performance has been nothing short of mindblowing to me.

With that said, I am overjoyed that by now, Photoshop is native, amongst others, and many more working very well in their beta form.

But why in the world would Adobe be behind on providing us with an M1-native version of the Creative Cloud app, without which none of the other native versions can be installed *without* installing Rosetta 2?

You might ask why I'd be reluctant to install Rosetta 2, esepcially since it has shown to work extremely well.
The answer is: I just set up a separate AFPS container that I am testing the new macOS 12 Beta on (which also works amazingly well for a beta, maybe better than any other firt beta I have used over the past 10 years)...part of the reason why macOS 12 works so well already, I think, is that it is the first version of macOS specifically written for Apple Silicon. I have decided to keep it all native, and since it is installed without Rosetta 2 by default (and asks you to install Rosetta every time you try to install or run a non-native app), I'd like to keep it this way.

But rather than having to resort to Affinity Photo/Designer/Publisher while I am developing in macOS 12, I'd really like to keep using my familar Creative Cloud apps, especialy since they are, basically, capable of running.

Why the hold-out on the one app that ties it all together? Or if that is can of worms that is way more complex than non-programmers like me can fathom (and it probably is, with all that the Creative Cloud app now does), then why not give us a means to install individual apps like Photoshop directly, without first having to install CC?

Yes, I know that PS now is so deeply tied into the CC ecosystem, as are all the other 2021 apps, that CC is required to make the collaborative features work, but that being tha case, what is the timeline on CC becoming native?

Please, Adobe, don't make me learn a new Affinity-based workflow just to bridge the time!

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>what is the timeline on CC becoming native?

Since this is a public forum, not Adobe support, nobody here knows Adobe's future plans

And anyone who is part of the Beta program is not allowed to comment due to signing an NDA

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 11, 2021 Jun 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the dry response, John...you're right, I didn't realize that this forum isn't the right one for the type of comment I made above...I am also in the beta program, which is why I was frustrated that this doesn't seem to be addressed.

But as luck would have it, I just discovered a way to get by until is being addressed, and would like to share it with the community in case someone else is in a similar situation as I am:

Since macOS 12 will be the first macOS that was conceived specifically for Apple Silicon, and since my MacBook Air M1 (16GB, 2TB) easily outdoes my MacBook Pro 2018 (i9, 32GB, 1TB, 4GB Vega 20) in every way, I decided to use the months ahead of the full macOS 12 release to build a fresh Apple Silicon-only (without Rosetta 2) system on a new APFS container that runs parallel to my Big Sur container, which has Rosetta 2 installed...so, *no* Intel apps at all.

After bitching about not being able to run the Adobe apps which are already compiled for Apple Silcon, I - by accident - ran into the happy fact that while booted into the macOS 12 Beta container, opening a PSD file opened Photoshop 2021 Universal from my Big Sur container...it complained about a missing preference file, but that was easily remedied by copying the Adobe folder from Big Sur/ Application Support to Monterey/Application Support.

On the same token, all other Universal or Apple Silicon Adobe apps also open and are functional, save for anything having to do with the Creative Cloud, of course...but so far, they are functional enough to work with.

Just thought that instead of only venting my frustration, I should also share my positive findings.

Over and out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>in the beta program

I don't know if it is by program, or a universal contact person, but you should have a way to contact the beta program managers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Will look into that, thanks John!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines