• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mac - Many old files in .../Library/Application Support/Adobe/Uninstall. Can these be deleted?

New Here ,
Oct 08, 2019 Oct 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In looking at a MacOS upgrade, I searched for non-64-bit applications and stumbled onto .../Library/Application Support/Adobe/Uninstall, which has a large number of very old xxx.db files (see attached screen shot Example.pdf).  Only one of these was tagged as non-64-bit, but are these old files still necessary?  If not, how do I determine what may be current and what is obsolete and can be deleted?  Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 08, 2019 Oct 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can always rename or package (eg, zip) files.  what a few weeks, months or years (depending on how cautious you are) and, if there are no problems, then delete.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 02, 2020 Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This question and the reply obviously got away from me.  Apologies for the tardiness of this reply.  The solution proposed - renaming or zipping files and waiting to see if anything breaks because of my choices of tiles to put aside - makes me very uncomfortable, as it's not at all clear to me what files/folders can be so moved and how I might recognize down the road which files/folders contain important stuff.

I've been a Photoshop and Lightroom user for many years, and some of the files/folders have modification dates back as far as 2012.  How am I to know what files/folders are part of the current product and which can be deleted or put aside?  Also, how do  know that certain apparent data files/folders can or cannot be deleeted/put aside?  One example of this conundrum is .../Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom/Web Templates/User Templates, which has only a single .lrtemplate file in it, while the folder ... Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom.old/Web Templates/User Templates contains 10 .lrtemplate files!  Are these ".old" template files still being used by newer versions of Lightroom?

I did a Finder search for ".lrtemplate" and was rewarded with a list of 1787 files!!!  What to do?  What to do?

If there is a way to explicitly identify old/unused Lightroom and Photoshop application files, I'd sure appreciate some guidance!  I would have expected older files that have been replaced by newer Lightroom versions to have been deleted during the updates, but that does not seem to have been the case!

Thanks in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines