Move Adobe programs to another HDD

Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2016 Oct 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am wanting to move my Adobe programs (Creative Cloud, Lightroom & Photoshop cc) to run from another drive in my system.

Is this possible? If so, can someone please assist..?

When downloading, an option for where to download to is not available, and when I have tried to cut the program from the C: drive to another drive it will not move the files as it states that parts are currently open.

Thanks.....

TOPICS
Installation

Views

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct Answer

LEGEND , Oct 31, 2016 Oct 31, 2016
The Creative Cloud manager has to be installed on the main system drive (C). To Change Install Location for Applications - With the CC application opened, choose the little gear icon in the upper right corner and then choose Preferences.  In the Preferences screen select Creative Cloud and then look for the Install Location drop down

translate

Translate

Translate
Most Valuable Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Programs do not move like you would copy a text file... you must deactivate and uninstall and the install fresh

HOWEVER... I don't think Adobe programs will install to other than the C drive

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Creative Cloud manager has to be installed on the main system drive (C).

To Change Install Location for Applications - With the CC application opened, choose the little gear icon in the upper right corner and then choose Preferences.  In the Preferences screen select Creative Cloud and then look for the Install Location drop down

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many Thanks Ned.

Creative cloud still installs to C:, but I can deal with that.

Lightroom and Photoshop now installed to the drive I wanted.

THANK YOU.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 01, 2016 Nov 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 10, 2017 Jun 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same question....  do I need to uninstall first?  Do I need to deactivate first?  What about all of my settings, brushes, actions, etc.  Will they be lost, or do I manually have to copy those over to the new hard drive?  CC has consumed a tremendous portion of my C: drive (SSD) and I'm now out of room. 

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2018 Jan 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesnt work. adobe cloud files install on C:  More expensive defective software

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 31, 2018 Jul 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you - This helped ...

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 27, 2018 Aug 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2021 Jan 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

du bist so ein penner

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2021 Feb 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no, it doesn't have to be installed on the c drive there is no reason why they can't make it to where it would work on other drives the adobe team has gotten lazy and the launcher barely works as is adobe cs6 will ask where to install

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2018 Jan 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank u so much btw if anyone mabe had a root problem maybe u need to drag the adobe file from the driver that its installed on to the one u want to install it on hope i can help

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 24, 2018 Mar 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess as of recently YOU CAN install on a different drive via the preferences. Clears up 11gigs, requires a reinstall.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I came across this because I wanted to change the default CC location to my "D" drive instead of the "C". As we are now version 2012 I found that the "preferences" tab is found under the FILE menu - there no longer appears to be a "gear wheel" in the top right hand side.

Selecting "prefs" under File then "Apps" below the "General". 2nd box "Installing"/install location - select the pencil icon to edit. You *have to* select or create a folder in the location on this drive and then save. You can not just select the drive itself.

Having done this and checking the folder I saved to (D: Program Files) the programs do not show as being there. This probably means you need to either drag then from C to the folder on D *or* maybe reinstall... as mentioned in 2018.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I can't seem to be able to "edit" the above comment I made...

I found that you do need to uninstall and then reinstall. I had to recreate the folders tree to D:/Program Files/Adobe for the path for the install. Initially I had NOT created and selected a new folder named "Adobe" and the program folders installed just to Program files.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right now you have to go to the DFile Menu item to get to the CC desktop app preferences.

Not sure if installing to Just the Program files folder is OK. I wouldn't and don't. But at least each program gets its Own Program folder, Ps, LrC, InDesign and so on.

If it works leave it (don't try to fix it) and move on.

Note that even though the Base program files are installed to your D:\ drive many parts of it are also installed to the System Drive. There is no way to change that.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. As I was looking for ways to try this and came across this discussion. It guided me to the way to try so I thought an update re *where* to find locations and make changes may help others in the future. The original opening post is dated 2016.

Yes, acknowledged, that the CC program itself needs to install to the C: (OS) drive and other files also get installed there - I'm not attempting or suggesting such gets changed or attempted to get changed. Accepted.

I now have the CC program pinned to the task bar as a shortcut... along with the PS, LRc and Bridge so they now fire up from there.

I decided I wanted to install the 'main' programs/folders to the D drive because of a computer crash (Win10/ winload.efi file issue which just wouldn't be fixed, although much time and tears spent in trying) which has meant I've had to reinstall a small number of programs.

As I've decided that the computer in question is now going to be used for photo editing and such I considered this would be an easier route to take should I have the crash occur again. *NB*: I am going to do a regular clone of the main C: drive in future... this is the very first time I've had a crash in 25 years - hence the complacency on clones/C: drive back up. *Although I'd made back ups in the past I got out of the habit - and paid for it this time round.

In installing to the D drive, which is away from the main C: OS drive, it will *hopefully* mean I don't have to recreate the LR cat and/or any presets that are installed there on the D. Also less data to clone/back up in future calamities.

So far installing to a default location of D:/Program Files/Adobe shows the individual prgram folders in the Program Files/Adobe location and the programs load properly.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had posted a Detail description of the steps a few year agoe as I needed to do the same thing.

But I never Bookmarked that post so I have lost track of it.

Great Glad it's working out for you.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How does it work now with the new CC installer update (it doesnt look like that at all anymore)?

I have barely 10Go of space in my C: directory but I can't select any prefered folder of installation while installing the Creative Cloud.

When I launch the Setup, it automatically creates a new Adobe folder in C:/ProgramFiles/ sth like that (W10).

• I can't copy/paste my folders to my F:/ drive (which has like 500Go of free space) because the CC.exe thing won't launch (saying I have a broken version and that I have to re-download the app to access it).
  • I tried copy/pasting my apps (PS etc) to my F:/ disk but it doesn't allow me to use media encoder with premiere, bridge with lightroom, nor update those apps.
  • Also, I already tried uninstalling all apps and re-installing them properly while setting the right path in "preferences" (twice), but it doesn't do anything and keeps installing my apps in the C:/ folder.

So I'm kinda upset, because I'm currently a student and have lessons on those softwares but I can't install half of them without having my laptop crying because of the lack of space. Also I'm paying a lisence to get sh*tty issues like this one. 😞

Thanks for hearing me out!

Regards,

Nina.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also wanted to mention (I can't seem to be able to edit my previous comment so...) that I searched deeply into this before seeking for help.
I did uninstall or delete all Adobe Softwares (even with CCleaner), deleted all previously created folder, and created a new one directly in my F:/ drive but it didn't care either and kept re-installing in C:/PFiles/Adobe (it recreated a new folder on its own). 😞

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 19, 2020 Dec 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To your other comment... un-installing and/or deleting wont solve the problem. You *have to* go in to the CC program window, then select from the TOP menu "File" then "Preferences" to open up that menu. You'll no doubt open up in the "General" tab but will then find "Apps" under the "General" setting in the list on the left hand side. DON'T be confused by the APPS name showing along going to the right UNDER "FILE". You'll see "Apps" (which shows the open window with ALL the Adobe apps) and then "Your Work" / "Discover" / "Market Place" - - - you have to go to "File" to get a drop down menu and select Preferences from that. Sorry if I've gone on a bit on how to get to the right area but seeing the APPS on the main window could mislead you. Good luck.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for a late reply. It is still set to install/update to my D drive.

You need to go to the menu and select FILE and then PREFERENCES then APP (under General) and set the install location to where you want it to be. If the screen grab uploads okay you will see that mine is showing as install to D:\Program Files (86) Adobe. You will also see that there is a *pencil* icon to select so you can edit the destination. If yours is showing as C: etc., then select the *pencil* and then input/select the destination (drive, folder etc.,) where you want to change the default/preference to be. It can be a bit daunting to make the change but it does work when set up this way. Hopefully if you follow the steps above you'll help solve the issue. As an aside... if your C: drive is getting low on space I'd suggest/recommend upgrading the C: drive to a larger one and Clone your existing drive contents to it, change them over and you'll have more space. I've done that a few times and been more relaxed about space available. Good Luck 

Accipiter51_0-1608396261771.png

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I already did that like 3 times. Even then, it never worked for me. Whether I had done it with the new or with the old setup.

Nina5FE1_0-1608397209410.png

I re-installed the CC and it installed itself on my C disk. Then I set the installing path to F:\blablabla, hit OK, closed the app and reopened it. Tried installing InDesign, and the app also installed itself on the C disk. Then I checked if my settings did got saved, and as you see just over there, they did.

So, I really don't know why it only seems to happen to me. But whatever.

About my space on my C driver, I'm a really bad IT student so I don't really know how disk managment works. I bought this already used (but perfect condition) PC a year ago and it said it had 1To of space available. Actually, there is only 150Go in the C disk, and it was filled quickly after installing Windows in it. So I created a F disk (tried to call it D but it did not want to lol). It's really wiggly though (I did it on my own, so may be not the best way), and I think I'll try and do something about it during the holidays. I don't have my external hard drive to do it yet.

Thanks for your suggestions though!

Regards,

Nina.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nina

Sorry it doesn't seem to be working for you. I'd like to be able to help but I can see it may be difficult with not being able to *see* your computer... but I'll try to see what I can do if you want. Would I be correct in thinking your computer is running Windows? I ask because that's what I have and have 'some' knowledge of... if limited. With being a student do you not have access to an IT support department that may be able to help you? If so then maybe the following will help you until you can speak with them? Meanwhile...

If your computer does have a total of 1Tb it *may be* that it has only one drive which has been partitioned in to a C: (Operating System) drive where most programs are installing by default. To see how the drive is divided you would need to do a screen grab of the "This PC" as it's called in Windows - if yours is a MAC then it *may* have something similar I'd expect.. This is how mine shows:

Accipiter51_0-1608406781332.png

You'll see mine shows the C and D drives (I have two separate drives) as well as the E drive (DVD/CD) and an external F drive. Even if yours is a single hard drive, if it has been partitioned it will/may show similar with a C & D drive partition. It's difficult to guess what is happening in respect of the F: drive you have/are creeating... a screen grab may show more. Also depends how you are trying to create the F: drive... or change it to be the 😧 drive?

Your reply had me doubting whether Adobe was still installing to the route I'd input and shown in the screen grab I posted earlier for the install path. I did un-install *via the CC program window* and then re-install and the programs have installed as per the install path. Here's a screen grab of that folder:

Accipiter51_1-1608407399841.png

It does work so it is just a case of trying to find what is stopping it from working for you. Maybe after Christmas if not before it can be resolved for you. Don't give up... it does work.

Best regards

Frank

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Frank,

I am indeed on Windows (10 to be precise).
I am indeed a student but my IT support department is nonexistent 😞 I had trouble buying my license (turned out it was because I had two separate Adobe accounts, but I only realized it after searching for 1 entire month) and asked to as much teachers as possible without having any answers or attempts to answer in return.

My computer shows:

Nina5FE1_0-1608409707573.png

My Adobe CC folder: 

Nina5FE1_1-1608409806169.png

Beleive me or not, but it seems that my apps went in the good folder during night (they weren't when I installed them nor when I posted my question, so idk what's going on anymore but that's a good thing), but my CC folder remains in my C disk, where I only put Windows stuff :v

Nina5FE1_2-1608410003711.png

That's already half of a victory I guess :sob: 

Thanks for your help,

Nina.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines