Move Adobe programs to another HDD

Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am wanting to move my Adobe programs (Creative Cloud, Lightroom & Photoshop cc) to run from another drive in my system.

Is this possible? If so, can someone please assist..?

When downloading, an option for where to download to is not available, and when I have tried to cut the program from the C: drive to another drive it will not move the files as it states that parts are currently open.

Thanks.....

The Creative Cloud manager has to be installed on the main system drive (C).

To Change Install Location for Applications - With the CC application opened, choose the little gear icon in the upper right corner and then choose Preferences.  In the Preferences screen select Creative Cloud and then look for the Install Location drop down

TOPICS
Installation

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Move Adobe programs to another HDD

Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am wanting to move my Adobe programs (Creative Cloud, Lightroom & Photoshop cc) to run from another drive in my system.

Is this possible? If so, can someone please assist..?

When downloading, an option for where to download to is not available, and when I have tried to cut the program from the C: drive to another drive it will not move the files as it states that parts are currently open.

Thanks.....

To Change Install Location for Applications - With the CC application opened, choose the little gear icon in the upper right corner and then choose Preferences.  In the Preferences screen select Creative Cloud and then look for the Install Location drop down

TOPICS
Installation

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 31, 2016 1
Most Valuable Participant ,
Oct 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Programs do not move like you would copy a text file... you must deactivate and uninstall and the install fresh

HOWEVER... I don't think Adobe programs will install to other than the C drive

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 31, 2016 0
LEGEND ,
Oct 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 31, 2016 11
Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many Thanks Ned.

Creative cloud still installs to C:, but I can deal with that.

Lightroom and Photoshop now installed to the drive I wanted.

THANK YOU.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 31, 2016 0
LEGEND ,
Nov 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 01, 2016 2
Explorer ,
Jun 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same question....  do I need to uninstall first?  Do I need to deactivate first?  What about all of my settings, brushes, actions, etc.  Will they be lost, or do I manually have to copy those over to the new hard drive?  CC has consumed a tremendous portion of my C: drive (SSD) and I'm now out of room. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 10, 2017 3
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesnt work. adobe cloud files install on C:  More expensive defective software

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 20, 2018 0
New Here ,
Jul 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you - This helped ...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 31, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Aug 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 27, 2018 0
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

du bist so ein penner

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 05, 2021 0
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank u so much btw if anyone mabe had a root problem maybe u need to drag the adobe file from the driver that its installed on to the one u want to install it on hope i can help

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 27, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Mar 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess as of recently YOU CAN install on a different drive via the preferences. Clears up 11gigs, requires a reinstall.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 24, 2018 2
Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I came across this because I wanted to change the default CC location to my "D" drive instead of the "C". As we are now version 2012 I found that the "preferences" tab is found under the FILE menu - there no longer appears to be a "gear wheel" in the top right hand side.

Selecting "prefs" under File then "Apps" below the "General". 2nd box "Installing"/install location - select the pencil icon to edit. You *have to* select or create a folder in the location on this drive and then save. You can not just select the drive itself.

Having done this and checking the folder I saved to (D: Program Files) the programs do not show as being there. This probably means you need to either drag then from C to the folder on D *or* maybe reinstall... as mentioned in 2018.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 23, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I can't seem to be able to "edit" the above comment I made...

I found that you do need to uninstall and then reinstall. I had to recreate the folders tree to D:/Program Files/Adobe for the path for the install. Initially I had NOT created and selected a new folder named "Adobe" and the program folders installed just to Program files.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 23, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right now you have to go to the DFile Menu item to get to the CC desktop app preferences.

Not sure if installing to Just the Program files folder is OK. I wouldn't and don't. But at least each program gets its Own Program folder, Ps, LrC, InDesign and so on.

If it works leave it (don't try to fix it) and move on.

Note that even though the Base program files are installed to your D:\ drive many parts of it are also installed to the System Drive. There is no way to change that.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 23, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. As I was looking for ways to try this and came across this discussion. It guided me to the way to try so I thought an update re *where* to find locations and make changes may help others in the future. The original opening post is dated 2016.

Yes, acknowledged, that the CC program itself needs to install to the C: (OS) drive and other files also get installed there - I'm not attempting or suggesting such gets changed or attempted to get changed. Accepted.

I now have the CC program pinned to the task bar as a shortcut... along with the PS, LRc and Bridge so they now fire up from there.

I decided I wanted to install the 'main' programs/folders to the D drive because of a computer crash (Win10/ winload.efi file issue which just wouldn't be fixed, although much time and tears spent in trying) which has meant I've had to reinstall a small number of programs.

As I've decided that the computer in question is now going to be used for photo editing and such I considered this would be an easier route to take should I have the crash occur again. *NB*: I am going to do a regular clone of the main C: drive in future... this is the very first time I've had a crash in 25 years - hence the complacency on clones/C: drive back up. *Although I'd made back ups in the past I got out of the habit - and paid for it this time round.

In installing to the D drive, which is away from the main C: OS drive, it will *hopefully* mean I don't have to recreate the LR cat and/or any presets that are installed there on the D. Also less data to clone/back up in future calamities.

So far installing to a default location of D:/Program Files/Adobe shows the individual prgram folders in the Program Files/Adobe location and the programs load properly.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 23, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had posted a Detail description of the steps a few year agoe as I needed to do the same thing.

But I never Bookmarked that post so I have lost track of it.

Great Glad it's working out for you.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 23, 2020 1