• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

My MacOS: APFS (Encrypted, Case-Sensitive) won't work with Adobe products, any alternatives?

New Here ,
Dec 25, 2019 Dec 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What up Adobe community!

My name is Alexander, and right now it really does hurt when IP, because of this issue I'm having with Adobe. Lol x-D

My MacBook's internal hard drive(s) are APFS, Case-Senstive, Encrypted.

It's the case-sensitive aspect that makes the Adobe products I purchased, not compatiable, with arguably the best OS to use Adobe on.

If I go on MacOS's Disk Utility, and create a volume or partition of the internal hard drive that's not, case-sensitive format encryption, can I get the apps/software to utilize that particular partition or volume? So far when, I try to install CC or Photoshop and the like, it will not let me choose where..... >.>

Or can I install Adobe products on an external hard drive?

I need some alternative options, lest I have to re-install my entire MacOS from ground zero.

Also why is there a conflict with Adobe apps/software and the case sensitive form of APFS Encrypted?!

Was told by Apple (not that you can trust them on getting ethical repairs from them.....if you keep up with Apple behind the scenes, journalists exposing their lies, etc. you'll feel what I mean.) that the APFS, Case-Sensitive Encrypted format is the ideal and most secure.

Any-who, also please see the image attachments below of the MacOS's Disk Utility.

Why do I have TWO internal hard drives, and something called Container disk2? O_o

Take care,

AlexanderScreen Shot 2019-12-25 at 2.52.39 AM.pngSo a secondary internal HD, for your Home folder?? O_oSo a secondary internal HD, for your Home folder?? O_oI didn't create this...what's this even for?I didn't create this...what's this even for?

TOPICS
Creative Cloud , Installation , New user

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You must necessary to reformat the OS of the internal storage and install it.
It does not support case-sensitive formats.
Installation on an external hard drive is not guaranteed, and above all, performance will be affected.

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/error-case-sensitive-drives-supported.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2020 Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Assause,

I'm a user of Adobe Lightroom on MacOS and I suffer from this incompatibility with case-sensitive FS for years now ... It's really harrasting especially since I don't know any other software that have this issue. IMHO, it's a real lack for Adobe not to be agostic of such FS matter and it's a even a bigger lack to only suggest customers to re-format their drives (I don't want to spend times to erase my entire HD just to have a working Lightroom).

Sorry for this post but I think Adobe is in capacity to take over that old problem.

François

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 17, 2020 Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What advantage is gained by using this format? Except compability with some Unix-centric software?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 18, 2020 Apr 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many software manufacturers other than Adobe remember that the case-sensitive format is not supported.
Companies that have been developing software for a long time should think that there is no merit to support it.
Also, this format itself is not used even at the shipping stage, so it is used only when the user explicitly indicates it.

Please tell me other compatible software for reference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2020 May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@assuase... Look, I am a consumer of your product. And I have a Mac. I recently replaced my hard drive, and was suggested by many blogs and Apple Support to format my new hard drive in a case-sensitive fashion, which I did. And now that I am looking to install the Adobe products I know and love, it turns out that I need to go and reformat my hard drive again, which entails that I (1) create a copy of my current hard drive on an external location so that I can be sure I don't lose all of my data, (2) reboot my Mac in recovery mode and use Disk Utility to reformat the drive and (3) try once again to install the Adobe software I am already paying for. Tech is labor-intensive, and I don't blame you or Adobe for Creative Cloud products not being supported on Case-sensitive formats. But could you at least make a detailed, step by step instructional posting about the solution to this problem? Everything I have found gives bits and pieces of information, and Adobe's take on the matter seems to be "Here's the problem, it's your problem, deal with it." I am requesting that someone from Adobe take the time to post a list of step-by-step solutions to the problem of having a case-sensitive format so that others in my position don't waste about 5 hours erasing drives, reformatting drives, and reading piecemeal posts like I did. This is a common problem. There should be a straightforward communication about the solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 15, 2020 May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a small correction for you. You say "I am a consumer of your product." No you are not. You are not talking to Adobe staff here. This is a community forum. ("Adobe community professional" is a badge for volunteers. Not a good badge, I will grant you).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 15, 2020 May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apple support will not suggest what software specifications you will use.
You should also be skeptical about telling things different from when they shipped.

As Test_Screen_Name says, I am not an Adobe employee.

Most Valuable Participant and Adobe Community Professional are badge-owned but general users.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/community-help/meet-the-experts/td-p/4788640

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

In Catalina, storage is created in two parts: a fully protected system volume and a user writable volume.
That's why there are two Hard Drives.

The second one is usually supposed to be "Hard Drive - Data", why? .

I have no idea why there is Container disk2.

--
Susumu Iwasaki

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2021 Feb 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I literally transferred Adobe XD app from non case-sensitive Macbook, and it works...

I don't understand where there is a global restriction for case-sensitive, some Adobe apps can work in case-sensitive...

Screenshot 2021-02-06 at 23.49.46.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 06, 2021 Feb 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Since Adobe have no policy to support it, they won't test. Since they don't test they can't have a list of what works. They have often demonstrated they will not invest in systems or configurations used by a small minority of people, even if the minority has quite a lot of people (eg people with Linux, Windows 7, or High Sierra) - they would rather lose the custom. Not economic to chase the edge cases. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines