Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

On the MacOS High Sierra Compatibility Issues

Community Expert ,
Oct 04, 2017 Oct 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before you blame Adobe for these issues you have to understand two things:

First, with free OS updates and under constant criticism of making MacOS a lower priority than iOS, WatchOS, AppleTV, and all the consumer services, Apple rushes its updates out. Yes, they release alpha versions to developers and beta versions to both devs and users, but those pre-releases result in a bunch of bugs that need to be fixed. Fixing those bugs often creates other bugs and conflicts, and the timetable for releases is so short, devs are not given sufficient time to run all the tests AGAIN for every patch before Apple sends the OS down the pipe to users.

Second, there's politics at play. Adobe IS Apple's competitor in Apple's mind. The kumbaya era of cooperation between hardware, OS, and software companies is long gone--Steve Jobs saw to that when he returned to Apple and declared every other tech company a potential threat to Apple's interests. Apple DOES send alpha and beta software to Adobe, and it does communicate with Adobe (and Microsoft and other major software publishers) but it doesn't ZEALOUSLY cooperate. In truth, if Apple causes a conflict with someone's software, that conflict is blamed on the software maker (Adobe, in this case), which weakens the software publisher while, at worst, leaving Apple unscathed and, at best, making Apple look even better in the short term AND later if Apple decides to compete head-to-head with whoever's software is having the problem (Apple often goes head-to-head against the major software people use on Apple hardware).

These incompatibilities are not largely Adobe's fault, and Adobe was as blindsided as its mutual users. Adobe IS working as fast as possible to identify, understand, and resolve the problems created by High Sierra with Adobe software.

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 04, 2017 Oct 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well said, Pariah.  I would only add that if you're still using legacy Creative Suite products, Adobe does NOT update legacy software to work with newer operating systems.   For that you must have a Creative Cloud plan.

With respect to High Sierra's new Apple File System (APFS), it's worth noting that some Mac users in other non-Adobe forums have reported problems with data files disappearing from their Documents folder.  I think  anyone who is contemplating an OS upgrade should test it first on an auxiliary computer or make a backup of their old OS just in case.

Nancy

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 05, 2017 Oct 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Pariah+Burke  wrote

Second, there's politics at play. Adobe IS Apple's competitor in Apple's mind. The kumbaya era of cooperation between hardware, OS, and software companies is long gone--Steve Jobs saw to that when he returned to Apple and declared every other tech company a potential threat to Apple's interests. Apple DOES send alpha and beta software to Adobe, and it does communicate with Adobe (and Microsoft and other major software publishers) but it doesn't ZEALOUSLY cooperate. In truth, if Apple causes a conflict with someone's software, that conflict is blamed on the software maker (Adobe, in this case), which weakens the software publisher while, at worst, leaving Apple unscathed and, at best, making Apple look even better in the short term AND later if Apple decides to compete head-to-head with whoever's software is having the problem (Apple often goes head-to-head against the major software people use on Apple hardware).

It's a software bug, for crying out loud. What does politics have to do with this? "ZEALOUSLY cooperate"? What do you want Apple to do, send a personal assistant to each and every software developer out there?

Hey, we understand, there is a bug somewhere. It's going to be fixed eventually by someone. There is no need to defend Adobe with nonsense stories.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 06, 2017 Oct 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seriously people. Does anyone still need to told.  If you depend on your computer for your livelihood, NEVER NEVER NEVER upgrade the OS until every device, accessory, program, plug in you work with has been thoroughly tested live and real time by real users.    If you have "volunteered" as a real time tester, first – Thank You.  I depend on your experience and feedback to know when it is safe or even if its worth upgrading.  ( I skipped Mavericks entirely).  Second,i hope its not your bread and butter machine we're talking about.  Third. it was your choice to be an early adopter so you really can't complaint to anyone.  Report the issues as you see them and the community will be grateful.  If that rubs you the wrong way then I suggest next time wait at least a couple of months before you assume all issues have been addressed. And even then do the research first before upgrading.   I will be in line somewhere behind you.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 06, 2017 Oct 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For any of you Mac users who did jump on High Sierra, there is a SERIOUS security issue. You should download & install the Apple security update ASAP.

Crazy but true – Apple’s “show hint” button reveals your actual password – Naked Security

PS. thank you Peru Bob​​ for posting this in the Lounge

Nancy

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 10, 2017 Oct 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I WAS a beta tester and had no issues through OS 10.12.6; it was only the final release of High Sierra that ruined my usage of InDesign CS6 (8.1).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 07, 2017 Oct 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's all well and good, and well explained too. BUT... when I get the crash, why do I get an Adobe message that suggests a fix, but the link to that fix is unresponsive.

Can't blame that one on Apple.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines