Exit

Photoshop Elements 2019 for OSX Big Sur: install is corrupted

New Here ,
Jul 18, 2021 Jul 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[Topic edited by moderator for clarity.]

Hi!

I have a physical DVD version of PSE 2019. I had it installed on one Mac Mini and one MacBook Air. It work perfectly on the Mini but I can't start the Photo Editor on the MB Air. I decided to uninstall and reinstall from the DVD. When I did so, i got a popup telling me that the 'install.app' is damaged and that I should please download it again. Well, that alternative is not possible.

Then I tried to download the .dmg file from the Adobe web site, using my registered serial number.

Worked like a breeze up until when I clicked the 'Photo Editor' icon in the startup window. Then I get a popup saying that my installation seems to be damaged and I should reinstall.

Either way, I seem to be... well, I won't use the F word, but that's what it boils down to. How can an installation app on a DVD become damaged? I've used the DVD, like, twice before.

My system: Mac OS Big Sur, version 11.1. It's a MacBook Air 13-inch, 2017.

Thanks for any input on this!

Best regards /Bosse

TOPICS
Installation

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>Mac OS Big Sur

Apple does not maintain backward compatibility with new operating systems... your old version will not work

You need to buy the current version http://www.adobe.com/products/elements-family.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't buy that. It works perfectly on my Mac Mini with Big Sur.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you install PSE2019 on your Mac Mini or did you upgrade to Big Sur with PSE2019 already installed?

The issue is with the installer which is 32 bit. Big Sur does not support or run any 32 bit code, meaning apps (even 64 bit ones) cannot be installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, the PSE was already installed. One could expect, after paying quite a lot of money for a piece of software, that the company, in this case Adobe, updates their software accordingly. But no, they want me to buy a new version for just as much money.

Best regards /Bosse

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are blaming Adobe for what Apple did to make it so 32bit programs will not run

As I said earlier, you need to buy the current version to go with Apple's BS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 20, 2021 Jul 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One could expect, after paying quite a lot of money for a piece of software, that the company, in this case Adobe, updates their software accordingly.

=========

PSE 2019 hasn't changed since you bought it.  But your computer has changed. Adobe didn't force anything.  You upgraded to Big Sur without checking compatibility first. 

https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/macos-big-sur.html

OPTION 1: Use your old software on an old OS (Mojave).

OPTION 2: Use new software with your new OS (Big Sur).

OPTION 3: Buy a Creative Cloud subscription that keeps pace with newer operating systems and includes free upgrades for as long as you remain a subscriber.  The Photography Plan is only $10/month for 12 months and contains a whole bundle of software & services.

https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/plans.html

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @bossenorgren 

Adobe Photoshop Elements 2019 was released in 2018. It was thoroughly tested for compatibility with the latest macOS at the time of release (10.14 Mojave) and the two previous versions of macOS (10.13 High Sierra and 10.12 Sierra).

In 2019, Apple released macOS Catalina 10.15 which no longer supported 32-bit applications. As a result of this decision by Apple, Adobe issued this warning to Photoshop Elements users who were considering upgrading to macOS Catalina:

Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements compatibility with macOS 10.15 Catalina

This same advice applies, of course, to Apple's latest macOS 11 Big Sur.

If Photoshop Elements plays a large part of your everyday computer use, I suggest that you downgrade your Macbook Air back to macOS 10.14 Mojave:

How To Downgrade macOS Big Sur To Catalina Or Older

Alternatively, as an existing user of Photoshop Elements you are eligible for the upgrade discount pricing for Adobe Photoshop Elements 2021 which is the only version of Photoshop Elements that has been thoroughly tested, and hence, supported on Big Sur.

Furthermore, before upgrading your operating system (or buying a new computer) always check that your existing applications will continue to work (especially if you're on a Mac 🙂 )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Adobe put a lot of work Into their new features, and Charge for upgrades. Apps needed lots of changes for Catalina. Why do people expect that new feature to be free? It would be quite wrong to be free, because it would be susidising Apple's profits. 

Constant changes to macOS, buying new apps; it's all part of the Joy Of Mac. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines