Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop vs InDesign for Basic Projects

New Here ,
Sep 25, 2019 Sep 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

I'd like to start doing some basic design projects for my organization (email headers, print/digital ads, 1-2 page print pieces, etc.) I'm curious to know which system would be better to start with for this - Photoshop or InDesign? 

Thanks!

Brittany 

TOPICS
CC FAQ , New user

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For print pieces, InDesign all the way. (of course, some design elements should be created in Illustrator or Photoshop, and then placed into the InDesign layout)
For email headers and digital ads, Photoshop could be used, but InDesign would also work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both. Absolutely both. There is no one design tool used by pros, they are switching constantly, placing Photoshop and Illustrator work into InDesign, and Photoshop work into Illustrator. (Going the other way is rare and prolematic). A rule of thumb is that if you are adding more than one word of text, Photoshop is the wrong tool for that part of the job.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I had to choose for print graphic design projects I would go with Indesign, due to it's layout features, grids, Columns, Header and footers, numbering pages and much more.

Photoshop is awesome and probably swifter to navigate for graphic design projects but I would use it in combination with illustrator to create vector shapes and illustration but ultimately contruct my with indesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign with Photoshop used to edit images when needed prior to placing them in your INDD document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

for Print use Indesign i.e, actually sending it to a printer

for digital ads I would use Photoshop but its not really the correct tool for the job ... its just the best of those two options

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines