• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Registration CS4 and CS5 application fail?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 01, 2019 Feb 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have licenses for FW CS4, DrW CS4 and AI CS5. I changed from a Mac Pro 2009 to a Mac Mini 2018, with OS X 10.14.3.

Downloading all 3 programs work with the help of the Adobe-page. At installation of the programs, typing the serial numbers for registration left me with a red cross at the end of the serial number line and I cannot go on further. The team of Adobe checked my licenses and serial numbers, they are allright and valid. Suprisingly, launching the trial versions (no license needed) do work smoothly! So the programs can run on OS X 10.14.3, that’s not the problem. Only the verification of the licenses fail obviously. Launching the trial and trying to registrate afterwards, gave me the same red cross. I have tried everything that was suggested, cleaned my Mac from all Adobe files, started all over again, nothing worked.

So, is anyone at Adobe willing to help me? Let’s switch serial numbers, for instance. Or have the registration procedure repaired, or something like that. Anyone an idea?

Grz, Ton

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 07, 2019 Feb 07, 2019

Thanks for the update, Tonj1008265.  What error message are you receiving when you open the Illustrator DMG file?  Please also see Installing Creative Suite on a new Mac or macOS 10.12 (Sierra) or later  which discusses the expected errors if attempting to install Creative Suite on modern versions of macOS.  This is why the workaround listed in Installing Creative Suite on macOS 10.12 (Sierra) is required.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

assuming you're using a valid adobe serial number (6 groups of 4 numbers), you have a mismatch between your installation file and serial number.  ie, you can have a valid serial number, but if it's for program A and your installation file is for program B, you will see an invalid serial number message.

common mismatches are language/region (eg, serial number is for western europe and installation file is eastern europe), platform (eg, serial number is for a mac and installation file is win), license type (eg, education vs enterprise vs individual).

and one of the most common is using a program installation file with a suite's serial number. eg, using a cs6 suite serial number with a photoshop cs6 installation file.  that won't work even though photoshop is included in that suite.  you must use the (correct) suite's installation file (and you can choose to only install one program from the suite).

here's official info about that error,  http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/error-serial-number-valid-product.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your answer. I don’t think I am using switched numbers, I copied them from my account page, the Adobe experts checked them. But I can always try to check your suggestion. Same holds for platform or license type or suite vs program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 03, 2019 Feb 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi kglad,

I have checked whether I possibly could have switched the serial numbers. That was not the case, the serial numbers of the other applications didn’t work on any verification/registration.

Also I tried the workaround with opening FW via the “unix and terminal” way (as suggested elsewhere in the forum), it didn’t work either. Gave the same red cross after trying to registrate.

Now can anyone of the Adobe board help me out? I have valid serial numbers (as checked by Adobe), FW and other CS4/CS5 aplications can run as trial versions on OSX 10.14.3, but the registration of valid serial numbers fail. There must be some way out, don’t you agree?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the red x means you're having a problem with validation, not registration.  registration isn't be possible with older versions and isn't important. validation is important or you won't be able to use the adobe programs beyond the 30 day trial period.  using correct terminology is less likely to confound the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi kglad,

Thank you, you are right, the numbers are already registered. I am not a native speaker of English, that’s confusing the discussion.

Question remains: why are registered serial numbers, valide as checked by the Adobe help, not accepted by the validation procedure? Someone at Adobe should be able to help me out. Up till now it seems that Adobe doesn’t care much about this problem. I can’t imagine that I am the only one with this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

someone will need to take over your computer and verify that you're using the correct program.  i'm not sure adobe support will do that with older programs and you obviously need to be wary of anybody else doing that unless you know them personally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In fact, the Adobe help team did take over my computer, they have a tool for that. They tried everything, nothing helped. In the end they send me to this forum, that’s why I am here, pleading my case. Is anyone at Adobe listening?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no, these are user-to-user forums.

did they download your installation files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2019 Feb 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes they did. Got the same installation files as I had earlier. Opening went allright, but the same failure at licensing came up. So they decided to stop helping and send me to this forum. Quite a good helping team, good service of Adobe...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 05, 2019 Feb 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tonj1008265, sorry you are facing such a difficult time reinstalling Dreamweaver CS4, Fireworks CS4, and Illustrator CS5.  I reviewed the serial numbers you offered in case ADB-5657170-W8M2 and they do all appear to be valid serial numbers.

The Dreamweaver CS4 and Fireworks CS4 serial numbers are for an odd language selection though.  While they are both retail licenses the language is showing IE.  If you have already tried download and installing using the installation files at Download Adobe Creative Suite 4 (CS4) products and you receive the message that the serial number is invalid then you will need to use the original installation files provided with your purchase, Tonj1008265.  I do not believe the files available will work with the serial number you have registered.

For Illustrator CS5 it appears you have purchased a volume license for the software.  This means that the retail installation files for Illustrator CS5 at Download Adobe Creative Suite 5 products will not accept your serial number.  Only the volume license installation files at https://licensing.adobe.com/ will accept the serial number.  You can find more information on how to download volume licenses at Adobe Store | Online order and payment FAQ .

Please update this public forum discussion if you have any additional questions, Tonj1008265.  The advice offered by Kglad has been correct. The main issue is that the serial numbers do not match the installation files that you have been using, Tonj1008265.  This is why the serial numbers are not accepted.

For your reference please see the following documents:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 07, 2019 Feb 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff,

Thank you very much for your intervenience. I have indeed copied and installed the original installation files from the old Mac to the new and, when at opening the serial numbers were requested and loaded, they were recognised. So the solution was dead simple in the end! I have now working apllications of FW CS4 and DrW CS4. However, they look a bit funny: kind of blurred, fonts are not quite sharp. I can’t get that better with other screen resolutions, so I’ll have to look further for improvements. If you have any suggestions, you’re welcome.

About the odd language: it’s just English....

About Illustrator CS5: I have downloaded the volume license installation dmg-file, it was still on my name at the url you send me. But... it cannot be opened. I don’t know what I might be doing wrong. I also don’t now what a volume license means; I have just downloaded the installation file some years ago, I am the only user of the application. The same trick as with the CS4 applications didn’t work either. So this leaves me with head scratching...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 07, 2019 Feb 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the update, Tonj1008265.  What error message are you receiving when you open the Illustrator DMG file?  Please also see Installing Creative Suite on a new Mac or macOS 10.12 (Sierra) or later  which discusses the expected errors if attempting to install Creative Suite on modern versions of macOS.  This is why the workaround listed in Installing Creative Suite on macOS 10.12 (Sierra) is required.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 17, 2019 Feb 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff, thanks for the answer. I tried this way too, but I couldn't install AI. The message was (in Dutch, si I try to translate): can't run this program, remove the disc copy. Well the disc copy is all I have. Even removing this after opening the package, didn't help. So now I don't know hat to do next...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 19, 2019 Feb 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tonj1008265, was the error similar to the ones listed in Installing Creative Suite on a new Mac or macOS 10.12 (Sierra) or later ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 20, 2019 Feb 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes Jeff, it was similar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect, Tonj1008265, make sure you complete the required workaround listed in Installing Creative Suite on macOS 10.12 (Sierra) to resolve the current error and install the software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I already did this Jeff, it didn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In what way is it not working, Tonj1008265?  Are you able to open the application package and drag the Install Unix Executable to the open Terminal window?  What happens when you do this?  Are you receiving a different error?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 31, 2020 Oct 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I still use CS3 with OS High Sierra on a ten years old Mac. Not a single hiccup. I think Adobe wanted you to pay for CC. IMHO, the company should give discount for perpetual locense owners. $2200 for a software wasn't cheap. Some people could buy a used car with that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines