• ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

SSE 4.2 issue on AMD cpu

Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2021 Feb 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why has Adobe sold me a product which does not work due to its new 'requirements' for an Intel dll on my AMD based system?

"IntelĀ® or AMD processor with 64-bit support; 2 GHz or faster processor with SSE 4.2 or later". My cpu is 64bit, runs Windows 10 with 6 cores @3.2ghz and is a good deal faster than a core i3 which is supported! 

What does SSE 4.2 do within Photoshop and is there a better workaround than downgrading to an earlier version of Photoshop?

If I could get LR Classic and the 1Tb storage I'd be happy, but only the online version of LR is available in that plan. Any chance ideas please?

TOPICS
Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've moved this from the Using the Community forum (which is the forum for issues using the forums) to the Download and Install forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SSE isn't a DLL. It's a feature of the processor (hardware). AMD and Intel developed and competed to add extra features to processors, to make apps like Photoshop work faster, so it's no surprise Photoshop now needs it. Both AMD and Intel have been selling processors with SSE 4.2 since 2007.  What is your specific CPU?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for taking the time to reply. It's a AMD Phenom II x6 1090T CPU, on an AM 3 socket.

Six cores, six threads @3500mhz.

Windows 10 build 19042

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, here's what I can figure out. Your CPU was at the battle front in the war between AMD and Intel, each of whom was trying to sell more CPUs because of different SSE enhancements. Although Phenom II was launched in 2008, it didn't have SSE 4.2. It stopped with SSE 3, and added SSE 4a. SSE 4a was AMD's attempt to get the high ground, but that was the point they lost the war; Intel never copied SSE4a, but AMD copied SSE 4.2. So, unfortunately, your 13 year old CPU design backed the wrong side. It's taken Adobe at least 10 years to back SSE 4.2, but that's where we are today. (I hope this is technically correct).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2021 Sep 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this mean none of the versions on adobe creative cloud will work on Phenom II CPUs, or is it possible for an older version to work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 01, 2022 Jan 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The older version will work if you can find one, but Adobe will no longer offer technical support on legacy versions. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2022 Sep 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got help tonight setting up an older version. They took my computer under control and fixed it. The 2021 is better than nothing. The person was a wonderful help. I hope anyone else with the same problem will be able to get the same kind of help that I got. Looks like it is time for me to up grade to a newer PC. šŸ™‚ 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 30, 2022 Sep 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

to others, while only the current and one major previous version of cc apps are available via the cc desktop app, all older cc (but nothing pre-dating cc) versions are available via adobe support*.

also, many previous cc (and pre-cc) versions are available via prodesigntools.com, https://prodesigntools.com/adobe-acrobat-dc-direct-download-links.html

follow the directions (esp, step 1)

save the install file. it may not remain online.

thank jim @ prodesigntools.com

* to contact adobe support:

use a browser that allows popups and cookies, and contact adobe support by clicking here, https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html?rghtup=autoOpen
in the chat field (lower right), type AGENT
be patient, it can take quite a while to reach a human

p.s. if you're contacted by anyone (via email or private message), it's much more likely to be a scammer than an adobe representative. ie, double check for an employee badge if contacted in the forums and look for an adobe.com domain in the email address if you click reply to an email. then check again and be very suspicious. any other method of contacting (or offering to contact you) is almost certainly a scam, https://community.adobe.com/t5/using-the-community-discussions/staying-safe-in-the-adobe-support-com....

p.p.s you can also use phone (but chat is usually quicker), https://helpx.adobe.com/contact/phone.html

p.p.p.s. you can also use twitter to tweet @AdobeCare.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines