This morning's Creative Cloud Update just REMOVED FILES from my computer, how do I contact Adobe??

Community Beginner ,
Feb 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work at Backblaze.

We are getting a TON of customers reporting that when Adobe Creative Cloud updates

on the Macintosh (which it did this morning 2/11/2016) then it removes the

contents of folder /.bzvol/ which belongs to Backblaze (this folder does

not belong to Adobe Creative Cloud!!)   Removing this folder disables

Backblaze.  Here is an FAQ on it:

.bzvol is missing : Help Desk

Does anybody know how to contact Adobe to ask them to PLEASE STOP
ROLLING THAT UPDATE OUT.  Or possibly stop removing our software's

files?!

If you use Backblaze, you should stop installing Adobe Creative Cloud updates

until they start behaving better.  They might be removing OTHER RANDOM FILES

from the file system?

Hi,

CC build 3.5.1.209 has the fix for the problem described in this thread. We are rolling out the update and should be available to everyone soon.

Regards,

Anirudh Bhatnagar

Creative Cloud Lead Quality Engineer

Topics

Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Community Beginner ,
Feb 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same Issue with COGILOG but no answser...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Participant ,
Feb 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to ask, if I do download creative cloud now off adobe's official link here Download Adobe Creative Cloud apps | Free Adobe Creative Cloud trial (its adobe official SEA page), will it be version 3.5.0.206 or an older one which doesn't delete files off root?

I tried to ask adobe on twitter about this, but their answers weren't really clear.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay I chatted with the adobe support, they mentioned that the version downloadable now is 3.4.3.189. So that should be safe

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... but that's a lower number.  What do we do if we already have 3.5.0.206 installed?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you install the lower-numbered version is will replace 3.5.0.206. I've done this already.

Then, when the engineers release a new safe version, it will probably have a new higher number.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just noticed that creative cloud popped up an update available notice, version 3.5.1.209. Think I'll wait till adobe gives the official release notes before I update this time

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

CC build 3.5.1.209 has the fix for the problem described in this thread. We are rolling out the update and should be available to everyone soon.

Regards,

Anirudh Bhatnagar

Creative Cloud Lead Quality Engineer

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Shih Min Twu,

I can confirm that this update i.e. 3.5.1.209 fixes the issue.

Thanks,

Vikas 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's great.  Except that, in the meantime, Adobe's update has trashed certain important files in my and other people's folders (like rydesigns- I feel your pain there) where it shouldn't have been messing in the first place.  Why does it have to faff around with this level in the OS anyway?  What's wrong with a regular application support folder?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have released software which has me and others panicking. Please tell us directly where we get the supposedly fixed version from. I mean a direct link. Put the direct link here in your replies. I want to overwrite the 206 version. I do not want to have to search for a perhaps-fixed version when I am not sure what I am getting until after I have installed it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Vikas,

I haven't seen any link to the new version yet. Can you please post the fix?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can we tell which folders and data have been deleted?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you or Adobe have an official response on how and why this happened?  What steps will you be taking in your software QA process to prevent something like this from happening again? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Feb 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mark Wycherley wrote:

Please tell us directly where we get the supposedly fixed version from. I mean a direct link. Put the direct link here in your replies. I want to overwrite the 206 version. I do not want to have to search for a perhaps-fixed version when I am not sure what I am getting until after I have installed it.

Sure, you can get it here – look for the CC Desktop App in the links table:

Creative Cloud 2015 Downloads: Adobe CC 2015 Direct Links / Trials

(Please first make sure to carefully follow the download instructions given on that page, which are required by Adobe's servers in order for the direct links to work.)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is pretty bad. Accidental file deletion is such a well-known risk. For example, a programmer means to do something like: wildcard-search for '/' + adobe-folder-prefix + '*'; then delete-first-folder. But for some reason the adobe-folder-prefix variable isn't set, and so the first result of '/*' is deleted. (t could be worse - the code might be to deleted all folders found! That's why it's burnt into the experience of all developers who have seen it or done it themselves.)

Given the obvious risk, you'd expect special care. For example, only delete folders and files through a single routine that checks against a list of Adobe folders. Or have a sentinel file inside each folder that should be deleted, and check for the existence of that sentinel file. You'd also expect any changes to deletion code to get special attention at the code review stage, and that would be one of the items on the review checklist.

I don't think this is just a accidental error with unfortunate consequences. It suggests a major flaw in the CC development process. Given the other problems I have experienced personally with CC updates (failed without logging out and back, removal of plugins, removal of a major feature without notice) I hope Adobe will take this incident as a wake-up call that the CC update process needs an overhaul. To date, Adobe have demonstrated that they don't have the expertise to make the Creative Cloud experience work for their customers.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mr ProDesignTools, I did check your site, and did click around, but I really honestly could not find the app link.

I also appreciate you are providing a service and being helpful, but this is a catastrophic Adobe bug, that Adobe staff (who I was replying to) should clearly correct very quickly and then be very precise on where and when we find a fix. Looping off to a 3rd party website such as yours or searching through the regular pages of Adobe's own CC sales pitch that we have to endure on their main sites is simply not acceptable in this case. A single direct link should have been provided by Adobe staff every time they mentioned the issue was fixed. I do now see that direct links have been provided at the since updated Creative Cloud Desktop Mac Issue | Adobe Customer Care Team page, but they should have been here also at the very outset in Vikas' and Anirudh's responses above.

Adobe also still has not quantified the issue. They know from code inspection what that errant script does and so can and should also write a verbose report on what customers should be checking for to know what customer files may have been damaged or deleted. Despite installing .206 I do not believe I lost anything from my machine, but I do not actually know because I do not know what I should be checking for. Relying on 3rd party (i.e. Backblaze's observations and tests) is not acceptable.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

You can go ahead and update the desktop application.

The issue has been rectified.

Regards,

Sheena

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sheena,

The issue will have been rectified once customers who installed the .206 version:

1. understand which of their files/folders may have been deleted

2. have, all-being-well, restored those deleted files from their own backups

Adobe needs to provide guidance on this aspect also. An updated .209 install may indeed prevent it happening again, but customers who installed .206 also want to know what additional steps they need to take. So far, as you can read above, there is only speculation as to what the erratic script actually did.

Regards,

Mark W.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have advised customers to take local backup of their files just to be on a safe-side.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sheena the issue is not rectified until Abobe makes their customers whole again.  There needs to be a method to determine which folder(s) and file(s) were affected. It may be a simple matter of retrieving the files from time machine (or not).  Particularly for working professionals real tangible damage has been done!!!

What is Adobe doing to repair the damage done to their customer's computers???

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sheena,

I have a local backup from before I installed .206.

Having now installed .209, what I want to understand is which folders/files in that back-up I might need to restore.

Thank-you,

Mark W.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can configure finder to view hidden files and folders.  In terminal executng the following commands:

In the Terminal type:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE

killall Finder

Then compare the current root with the last Time Machine backup before .206 was installed.  It should give you some idea of what was deleted

To set it back execute these commands.  In the Terminal type:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE

killall Finder

Good luck

YMMV

2 Likes

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can understand your concern.

Please see Creative Cloud Desktop Mac Issue | Adobe Customer Care Team for further concerns.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Honestly Sheena nobody cares what you say you are going to do!!!  Adobe's actions speak much louder than your words!!!

What we want to know is how Adobe is going to fix the damage done to our computers and how Adobe is going to recover the work that was stored (and was deleted by Adobe) on those computers.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sheena, as others have stated above, this issue is far from rectified.

Fortunately, my desktop doesn't seem to have been directly affected (at least as far as I can tell) so I'm not having to go through all the restorative steps others are. But even still, the indirect damage in the form of harm done to an already tenuous trust level with Adobe is significant. This issue will be only partially rectified when all of the following are done:

1.     All obviously affected users are given patient, personal assistance in restoring their deletes files in full. Whatever it takes.

2.     All other users are given clear instructions on how to verify beyond any question that they were not affected.

3.     Adobe explains in clear, unequivocal terms exactly what happened, why, what has been done to correct the situation, and—perhaps most importantly—what safeguards are being put in place to prevent this from ever happening again.

Let me state it clearly: this is a significant, inexcusable, violation of trust. Nevermind some license agreement mumbo jumbo that grants you the legal covering to modify files and that puts all responsibility on us, your paying customers. Hogwash. You didn't delete your own code on our machines, you deleted files utterly unrelated to anything Adobe. You know very well what the word proprietary means. You deleted proprietary files that didn't belong to you.

Adobe software is the de facto industry standard, and quite frankly that is the simple reason why you have all these CC customers. It's not that we love your products so much; it's that we have little other choice. But that may not always be the case, just as others before Adobe were once the standard and have now ridden into the proverbial sunset.

Adobe, your future rests on your trustworthiness every bit as much as your technological innovation. Tread carefully.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In this instance, I do not believe Adobe's license agreement is worth the proverbial paper it is written on...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quote from Guardian article:

"... Other users found the Adobe update would delete a folder required for the proper functioning of OS X’s autosave and versioning functions for documents, while any folder that started with a space on the root directory would likely fall victim to the update’s deletions.

Head of social for Backblaze Yev Pusin said: 'It’s difficult to tell exactly which data may have been removed, but you can open the root directory on your Mac and try to look towards the top for any folders that are empty. This would have occurred to only one folder (that we know of) so the topmost hidden folder or the first folder with a space as the first character would have been affected.'

Adobe said a fixed version of the update should be immediately available."

1 Like

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please see Creative Cloud Desktop Mac Issue | Adobe Customer Care Team for further concerns.

You may also refer Legal Terms of Use | Adobe for your reference.

1 Like

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It will be the .206 version

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I watched helplessly as all the files from one specific folder just started disappearing Thursday afternoon. Unfortunately, it contained all of my working files for my clients. I spent the next 24+ hours trying to figure out what had happened. Contacted Apple tech support and we walked through everything to determine it wasn't a hard drive issue. Finally figured out that it was in connection to the Adobe update. I was on the phone with Adobe tech support and we both watched as more files (dummy files I had copied over to that same folder as a test) disappear. They finally told me they were aware of a bug with this new update and are looking into it. This was 24 hours after the original fiasco. Like braddock6921 the folder that was affected had a space before the first letter in order to keep it atop my hard drive contents. This folder contained Adobe files, but was not tied in any way to the Creative Cloud Files folder, which I do not use). No other files or folders were affected.

What are the chances, even if the bug is fixed that we'll ever see these missing files again? Where could they have disappeared to? I have run Data Recovery software and am not finding any of those files that have disappeared. This is beyond devastating for a small business.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like rydesigns, I spent a good deal of time trying to figure out what had happened to my folders/files and ran a number of programs in the hopes of trying to retrieve them. In addition to that, I was worried there may have been additional files, further down inside my folders on my hard drive which too may have mysteriously disappeared. I had not idea that this might even be related to Adobe CC had it not been for a photographer friend and fellow CC user who read about this on one of his photography forums and then emailed me a link to the article. Immediately, an email should have been sent out to Adobe CC users to warn them of the situation and possible solutions to avoid any further 'destruction' to their drive's contents. I love working with the Adobe software, but a begrudgingly signed up for CC and now am seriously having regrets about doing so. CS6 did and still does most of what I need to do. As a freelance designer I can't afford the downtime this has imposed upon my work schedule. Not that any of us can afford the downtime, but I don't have a large corporation to 'absorb' the time it takes to try and search out the problem and then recreate any necessary lost work.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is quite a violation of our trust, isn't it?

Since I still have my .DocumentRevisions-V100 folder, did something else get deleted?

Would Adobe like to offer us a data recovery tool ASAP so we can find out?

Will Adobe listen to their lawyers and do as little as possible to take responsibility for the damage they've done, or will they do whatever it takes to regain our trust?

So many questions…

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A user posted this comment:

"While this is Adobe making a mess here, Apple by means of iTunes has already caused other embarrassing deletion incidents. In that case it was due to a script not supporting file paths with spaces in them. Sure this was a few years ago, but shows how sensitive deletion operations can be and how careful you need to be in testing. I still see a lot of scripts that don't quote file paths, so don't deal well with thing like spaces in general."

In any event, the CC 2015 direct download links are now back to being the latest build of the Desktop app, for anyone who wants to immediately access the new CC version 3.5.1.209.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will be very curious if there is a way to retrieve those lost files. After running Disk Warrior I couldn't seem to locate them. I hope you get an answer to that question one way or another and that it does get posted.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - other folders can be affected. I had a clients folder named with an initial "space" so that it would show at the top of my window. Nearly 90% of the files in that folder were deleted by Adobe CC. Unbelievable!!!

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that Adobe released this update. Do they test before release anymore?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At 11:29am today, I went to creative.adobe.com to download the Creative Cloud app. It downloaded and installed .206, as I just confirmed after launched and checking preferences.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find:

• In the internal package contents plist, it says it is .209
  • in the user preferences pane after you install it, it says it is .206

No idea what it really is.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines