• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

This morning's Creative Cloud Update just REMOVED FILES from my computer, how do I contact Adobe??

Feb 11, 2016 Feb 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work at Backblaze.

We are getting a TON of customers reporting that when Adobe Creative Cloud updates

on the Macintosh (which it did this morning 2/11/2016) then it removes the

contents of folder /.bzvol/ which belongs to Backblaze (this folder does

not belong to Adobe Creative Cloud!!)   Removing this folder disables

Backblaze.  Here is an FAQ on it:

.bzvol is missing : Help Desk

Does anybody know how to contact Adobe to ask them to PLEASE STOP
ROLLING THAT UPDATE OUT.  Or possibly stop removing our software's

files?!

If you use Backblaze, you should stop installing Adobe Creative Cloud updates

until they start behaving better.  They might be removing OTHER RANDOM FILES

from the file system?

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 13, 2016 Feb 13, 2016

Hi,

CC build 3.5.1.209 has the fix for the problem described in this thread. We are rolling out the update and should be available to everyone soon.

Regards,

Anirudh Bhatnagar

Creative Cloud Lead Quality Engineer

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 115 Replies 115
Advocate ,
Feb 15, 2016 Feb 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There was a same issue in Adobe Application Manager, it was fixed silently.

Non CC user are affected too by AAM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This one certainly isn't silent

As much as they are going to try I suspect that they will not be able to sweep this one under the rug...

They have caused real damage and I hope they have to pay the consequences...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2016 Feb 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been on the phone with Adobe tech support on three separate occasions regarding this issue. The first day they acted like I was an idiot for even suggesting Adobe could have deleted all of my working files. The second day they admitted that there was a bug and are working to correct it. The fifth day I called back hoping to get some type of update on whether or not the engineers were working to recover any of my lost files. They told me they'd be in touch within 2-3 hours. It's been 24 hours now and I have not heard back.
This situation is like someone breaking into your house and stealing your valuables. After finding the burglar, they admit to breaking in and acknowledge they're going to fix the door they broke in, ignoring the fact that they stole all your crap. I'm supposed to appreciate the fact they fixed the door they busted? Where's my stuff? Why won't Adobe take any initiative and either fix the real problem (missing files) or at least keep me in the loop about what they're doing about it. They've had 108 hours to work on this and I (along with several others) am still without files that Adobe should never had any access to whatsoever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@rydesigns

Do you not have a backup of your files anywhere? Do you use Time Machine or any backup practice at all? While in this case the folder was accidentally deleted, you need to have some kind of backup plan for hard drive corruption, theft and anything else that could happen to your computer.

By the way, NO ONE SHOULD BE STORING FILES IN THE MACINTOSH HD ROOT! This is file management 101. It's becoming clear that those affected by this haven't been smart about where they put files.

And of course, the engineer and the team lead who proofed and approved this code were definitely careless in this case and didn't think much about the consequences. Perhaps "oops" isn't going to cut it here. Maybe that engineer has a history of careless mistakes and this was the final straw? Or maybe it's a fresh hire—in which case the blame rests solely with the team lead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave,

I don't think it is up to you to determine where people store files (storing in the root is certainly not best practice), redirecting the blame to the end user is disingenuous.  The fact of the matter remains that Adobe through their own negligence destroyed private customer data.

Lets try not to lose track of who the culprit is here!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌davechapfilms,

>>>>It's becoming clear that those affected by this haven't been smart about where they put files.<<<<

First, I don't feel it appropriate to phrase it the way you did. To insinuate lack of intelegence is demeaning.

Second, we know that those storing personal files in the root directory are not the only ones affected. Any folder that is listed first, alphabeticaly, in the root directory may be susceptible. Adobe said it is user write enabled folders, but where did that statement come from? How did the author of that blog entry come to that conclusion? We haven't been given details. Are there system files that have been affected? We don't know. We have data from a small population of users that can easily determine something went wrong, and who searched for help on the net. Since Adobe hasn't sent out a mass notice to ALL users, we don't know what else has been affected on the root directory, or for that matter, other directories.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jms5758‌

imksn‌

I didn't say that it was the user's fault here, but I am taking this moment to point out that saving files in the root directory isn't the best practice. I didn't insult anyone's intelligence, but pointed out potential lack of knowledge when it comes to how to file things on a computer—or the repercussions of doing things in the file system.

For what it's worth, we don't know if any folders were affected in the OS other than user-created folders with underscores or blank spaces in this directory. Some websites have played telephone with the information that Backblaze provided and are just repeating their findings—without much knowledge of how it happened. Back blaze isn't even sure of all of the details, but they can create a folder (an unlocked user folder) and see the script removing files.

My Conclusions:

1. Users that keep their file storage outside of the Macintosh HD root weren't affected.

2. The Document Revisions folder was locked and "probably" wasn't affected (and wasn't in my case). Also, this folder has had issues for people in the past which led to blogs about emptying it if it became bloated (*caugh*Sketch).

3. The few users that—for some reason—keep all of their important files or client work in a folder in the system root AND intentionally put a space or underscore in the name to visually see it move to the top of the list—these users were affected. If these very specific users don't have a backup of those files, whether it be Time Machine or manually coped items, they probably have lost data from this bad Creative Cloud code. I do hope that someone finds a way to recover lost items.

4. While this error code was pretty wide-spread, I don't the it affected the majority of Creative Cloud users. If it was common practice to house files in this directory, I'm sure there would be pitch forks lining up for hundreds of miles. But this discussion is only 3 pages long and I don't see it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The spin Adobe  are are putting on Twitter is such a bunch of BS...Saying it's been resolved? HA! Where are our lost files?

Adobe Customer Care (@AdobeCare) | Twitter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is anyone else having kernal panics while cc .209 is running...

I had to shut it down to keep my mac from staying face down in the mud....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have 3.5.1.206 but cannot update to 3.5.1.209 ... seems that the installer

cannot download Creative Cloud Desktop ... always hang at 2%.

Bildschirmfoto 2016-02-16 um 20.43.56.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

seekind-mc wrote:

i have 3.5.1.206 but cannot update to 3.5.1.209 ... seems that the installer

cannot download Creative Cloud Desktop ... always hang at 2%.

Try the installer direct links instead. They were given on the previous page of this discussion.

The CC Desktop app installer is given near the bottom of the table there... Just make sure to follow the download instructions first, before clicking on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ProDesignTools‌ Thank you for the tipp but i have already tried this without knowing it...

I found the download link to the cc desktop installer in an xml file .. but cannot download it ...

not either via the download link from your page ...

Bildschirmfoto 2016-02-16 um 21.45.54.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry ... the very important instructions ... read first, ask later ...

thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you have to make sure to carefully follow the download instructions given on that page, which are required by Adobe's servers in order for the direct links to work – otherwise you'll get that exact message instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find it discouraging that some posters find fit to reprimand users for storing files on their root/hard drives. This is akin to blaming the victim for the crime. Let's talk about "best practices." Best practices includes thoroughly testing software before it's released. Best practices includes immediately notifying customers if a dangerous problem is noticed. Best practices includes great customer service when you screw up. Let's focus on what really went down here. (Yes, I had a root drive folder nearly wiped out. Yes, I had plenty of local backups. But seriously, does adobe get a free pass on this?  Just when is enough enough? Many of us are running app updates all the time, updating OS, and doing other extra security measures like 2-step authentication. When the hacker turns out to be your paid service, it's pretty sad.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2017 Jul 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had to stop using Photoshop CC on a brand new Macbook pro as it crashed all the same when doing a minimal task such as resizing a small logo.

3 years on,  CC Lightroom didn't install, but CC trashed my Vagrant boxes when it crashed the machine and I had to hard power cycle.

Blogs full of 'Adobe crashes new laptop' . Is it built on Flash??!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines