Highlighted

Unable to find advice on transferring Dreamweaver CS3 to new computer

Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Community! This is my first posting, and I'm sorry to be starting with a real puzzle.

I bought the CS3 version of Dreamweaver in 2007, and have been using it happily ever since. This is a fully-paid, licensed copy installed on my own equipment - nothing to do with Creative Cloud, which didn't exist then. This version of Creative Suite cost me over £700, which was then and still is a lot of money to me.

I want to transfer Dreamweaver to a new computer. It is currently installed on my working computer and on another computer that doesn't work any more (therefore I couldn't deactivate it from that computer even if this were possible!). I still have the original installation disk and product key. 

On the Adobe web site there is a page dealing with activation and deactivation. It is 

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/error-activation-limit-reached-sign.html. On this page it says:

"Our aging activation servers for earlier versions of Acrobat and Creative Suite (CS) applications had to be retired. Without the activation servers, these applications display an activation or connection error when trying to verify a license. To install a version that doesn't require activation, see ..."

At the end of the above paragraph there are two links, one for later CS products and one for CS3 and Acrobat 8. However, these links do not resolve to the intended pages, but are redirected to a page that deals with Creative Cloud products. Therefore there appears to be NO advice on the Adobe web site on how I can install Dreamweaver on my new computer and continue to use it.

I realise I'm talking about a very old product in software terms, but I paid good money for it and it provides all I need. It's like an old friend! I emphatically DO NOT want to buy into Creative Cloud or adopt any later versions of this or similar products.

Can someone possibly tell me how to obtain the version of the product mentioned by Adobe above that doesn't require activation - or at least tell me how to make contact with Adobe to ask a real person about this? I can't find any link anwhere on the Adobe web site to an email address, chat system or submission form through which I could actually interact with the company direct.

BTW, I should have said my computers are PC laptops.

Thanks so much for any and all help!

Peter

Topics

Activation, Installation

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Unable to find advice on transferring Dreamweaver CS3 to new computer

Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Community! This is my first posting, and I'm sorry to be starting with a real puzzle.

I bought the CS3 version of Dreamweaver in 2007, and have been using it happily ever since. This is a fully-paid, licensed copy installed on my own equipment - nothing to do with Creative Cloud, which didn't exist then. This version of Creative Suite cost me over £700, which was then and still is a lot of money to me.

I want to transfer Dreamweaver to a new computer. It is currently installed on my working computer and on another computer that doesn't work any more (therefore I couldn't deactivate it from that computer even if this were possible!). I still have the original installation disk and product key. 

On the Adobe web site there is a page dealing with activation and deactivation. It is 

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/error-activation-limit-reached-sign.html. On this page it says:

"Our aging activation servers for earlier versions of Acrobat and Creative Suite (CS) applications had to be retired. Without the activation servers, these applications display an activation or connection error when trying to verify a license. To install a version that doesn't require activation, see ..."

At the end of the above paragraph there are two links, one for later CS products and one for CS3 and Acrobat 8. However, these links do not resolve to the intended pages, but are redirected to a page that deals with Creative Cloud products. Therefore there appears to be NO advice on the Adobe web site on how I can install Dreamweaver on my new computer and continue to use it.

I realise I'm talking about a very old product in software terms, but I paid good money for it and it provides all I need. It's like an old friend! I emphatically DO NOT want to buy into Creative Cloud or adopt any later versions of this or similar products.

Can someone possibly tell me how to obtain the version of the product mentioned by Adobe above that doesn't require activation - or at least tell me how to make contact with Adobe to ask a real person about this? I can't find any link anwhere on the Adobe web site to an email address, chat system or submission form through which I could actually interact with the company direct.

BTW, I should have said my computers are PC laptops.

Thanks so much for any and all help!

Peter

Topics

Activation, Installation

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

It's not possible to get the non activation version any longer, CS3 is completely dead, if you have it working on a PC keep it there.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ged

Thank you for this swift reply, though your message is disheartening! As I'm a newcomer to this forum, can I ask if your advice is definitive? I see that you're described as a Community Professional, so I guess it probably is! I assure you I'm not doubting your judgement, just checking on how the system works.

Assuming that what you say is true, I'm dismayed. You're saying that although I paid the equivanlent of nearly a thousand dollars for this product, I can't take it foward into the future and there's nothing I can do about it. I find that notion a complete disgrace. Surely others besides me must have grumbled about this in recent years?

Thanks again for your prompt help.

Peter

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I only help on the forum and I'm just a normal user like yourself, but the fact is that Adobe no longer provide the non activation versions of CS3 and below. So the only option you have is to keep working on the PC that you have it on, there's simply no way to transfer it to another PC, sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The servers were retired around the end of last year. Yes, there's been a lot of grumbling (and no little abuse).

Be aware that there are a lot of scammers out there who will try to contact you via private message, often claiming to be from Adobe and offering to sell you a CS4 through CS6 package. Don't buy from them.

No one has legal CS packages to sell. If you buy one and you're lucky, you'll be out a bit of money. If you're not, you'll find your computer full of malware/ransomware.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, there are a lot of people who have been caught out by this, if you do a search in the forums. Adobe failed to let customers know that they had turned off the activation server, or that they would need to download a special version that didn't need activation, if they wanted to continue to be able to install it in the future. So people haven't found out untl they have had difficulty reinstalling. They still had the special version that didn't require activation on their website up until a few months ago. I have a complaint ticket open about it with them, where I have asked for it to be escalated to the CEO or upper management, to be provided with the special version that doesn't require actvition, which they provided to other cusomters. But it has been weeks if not months without a reply, and I can't get past their Indian based frontline helpdesk. I suspect they will just end up closing the ticket and not bother to reply. 

I suggest writing to Adobe and making a complaint. The more people that do this, the more likely they will listen. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this detailed advice - and thanks to others for the warnings about private messages.

I might as well write to Adobe about this as recommended, but can you tell me how to contact them? I can't find any sign of an email address on their web site. Nor can I find a submit form or similar. I'm probably not looking hard enough, but they certainly don't make these things easy to find!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines