Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Update Failed. Unable to move the file. Error Code 146

Participant ,
Dec 21, 2017 Dec 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I've attempted to update the latests updates of Animate and Bridge on my MacBook Pro Laptop with Mac OS 10.13.2. High Sierra.  Each time I attempt to do so, I get the Error Message: "Update Failed.  Unable to move the file.  Rename the file and try again."

I've attempted to do the update several times including after a computer restart and after uninstalling and installing the Creative Cloud Desktop App.  I also attempted to do a new install of the apps, to no avail.

The Error Summary is:

Exit Code: 146

-------------------------------------- Summary --------------------------------------

- 2 fatal error(s), 0 error(s), 1 warnings(s)

FATAL: Error (Code = 146) executing in command 'MoveDirectoryCommand' for package: 'AdobeAnimate18.0-mul', version:18.0.1.115

FATAL: Error occurred in install of package (Name: AdobeAnimate18.0-mul Version: 18.0.1.115). Error code: '146'

WARN: Failed to move directory '/.adobeTemp/133B205F-2DF6-400C-8AE8-A002E7F8BDEF/1/mul/AppFiles' to '/System/Library/Components/PDFImporter.component/Adobe Animate CC 2018'

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've successfully completed the updates on my iMac with Mac OS 10.12.6.  Sierra.

Is there any incompatibility between Creative Cloud and High Sierra?

When it says "Rename the file and try again" where is the file located and what do you rename it to?  This is not clear at all.

Any other suggestions?

Thank you!

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Dec 28, 2017 Dec 28, 2017

I just spent an hour with Apple tech support working on getting this issue resolved.  We first attempted to simply do an update logged in as a root user.  That did not do it.

What did finally work was to disable the System Integrity Protection.  Once that was disabled, the update proceeded successfully.  Apple had me re-enable System Integrity Protection once the update was completed.

The only problem is that every time I need to do an Adobe update I will need to disable the System Integrity Prote

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Dec 22, 2017 Dec 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems to be a problem with missing permissions. Do you work as an admin or an user with admin rights?

Try to install under the root user account How to enable the root user on your Mac or change your root password - Apple Support or a new user with admin rights Install or run Adobe applications in new user account | Mac OS X .

Axel

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.5 - Nik Collection 6.8 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm confused.  On this computer, I'm listed as the administrator and when I log in I use the administrator password which I always do.  Nothing has changed on this computer, other than the upgrade from Sierra to High Sierra, and I've been able to update Creative Cloud apps for a long time with no issues.

So, if I'm already logging in as the administrator aren't I already logging in under the root account?  Or, are you advising I create a new root account?

Please advise.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 23, 2017 Dec 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just installed Muse CC to see what would happen if I installed a new app that I had not installed before.  It installed just fine.

I went back to the update of Animate CC and I got the same error messages as described above.

Please reply to my root related questions immediately above the Moving response above or offer any other suggestions that might help.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 28, 2017 Dec 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just spent an hour with Apple tech support working on getting this issue resolved.  We first attempted to simply do an update logged in as a root user.  That did not do it.

What did finally work was to disable the System Integrity Protection.  Once that was disabled, the update proceeded successfully.  Apple had me re-enable System Integrity Protection once the update was completed.

The only problem is that every time I need to do an Adobe update I will need to disable the System Integrity Protection and then enable it again.  This is a rather cumbersome approach to updates.

Please bring this to the attention of Adobe developers.  Apple said that Adobe should be able to correct this in future updates.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2021 Jun 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It is now 2021, June to be exact. In order to install Creative Cloud app on my Big Sur OS on Mac, I had to follow these steps.  It did work after trying everything else. Unfortunately Adobe Support was not able to help me because apparently they could not find this post. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 23, 2018 Jan 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I’m experiencing the same error code updating Premier (on High Sierra). In case you’re still struggling with this and don’t want to take the Correct Answer route, I successfully updated by uninstalling the app through the Applications folder > [Adobe app] folder > Uninstall… as opposed to the Creative Cloud portal which doesn’t give you the option once the error is produced, and then installing again instead of updating. Note, I didn’t try keeping my preferences. Reply if you are successful while keeping your preferences.

Miguel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2018 Jan 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was not able to update Premiere Pro on High Sierra, but I uninstalled keeping preferences and then reinstalled and that worked. Thanks Miguel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 24, 2018 Jan 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Spot on. Thank you for posting this. It was driving me a little nuts until I found your solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2018 Jan 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uninstalling and reinstalling on High Sierra worked for all my Adobe apps who's update failed.  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2020 Mar 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In case people are still finding this in 2020, here's a more reasonable solution by Adobe:

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html#run_cc_cleaner_...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2021 Jun 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This did not solve Error code 146 for me in 2021 with installing creative cloud Core Sync.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines