• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Update on 64-bit compatibility with new macOS

New Here ,
Mar 13, 2019 Mar 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I currently have macOS Mojave on my MacBook Pro and the new OS update is prompting a message saying that many of my programs are not optimized and need to be updated. All my Adobe programs are among them. It says that Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, and Acrobat Pro "will not work with future versions of macOS and need to be updated to improve compatibility. Contact the developer for more information." It seems to be impossible to get help through the Adobe chat. Can anyone help me here? How can I switch my current programs from 32 bit to 64? I don't want to run the OS update and loose my Adobe Suite! I saw this post from last year (Re: how do I update my Adobe products from 32-bit to 64-bit? and it seems to be exactly my problem, which is a concern. What's the update from Adobe? I couldn't find anything new on this and I need to be able to use my Adobe products after updating my macOS. Any help would be very much appreciated!

TOPICS
Creative Cloud , Installation

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 13, 2019 Jun 13, 2019

IMPORTANT!  Do not upgrade to Catalina when Apple offers it to.  If you do, your  older 32-bit software will become useless.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New Creative Cloud programs will eventually be 64bit Mac 64bit warning https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2587657

CS6 and earlier are End of Life and will NOT be updated

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have CS6, so based on your response I have to buy all of my products again if I want to continue updating my macOS? Not good news at all

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS6 is from 2012 and updates stopped about 6 years ago

If you want to use old software, you have to use an old operating system

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 17, 2019 Mar 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe produced in 2012 a software running on an OS that was awailable 2012. As soon as the next version came out, CS6 was EOL and it would not be getting updates anymore. On unchanged conditions it will continue to run. So you need to continue using your “old” OS for as long as possible.

Or you could decide to upgrade your software to the latest version, which will imply taking a subscription of CC, as CS6 was the last version available on a perpetual version.

Good luck.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2019 Nov 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made the automatic upgrade to Catalina (thanks for that Apple) only to discover my trusty old CS6 was not compatible and all of those files were unacessable. MAJOR problem for my small biz since ALL of our graphics, in one way or another, were effectively gone. Fortunately we keep regular backups, so while inconvienient - a pain in the ass - uninstalling Catalina and reinstalling Mohave got us back to ground zero. For now. It's simply not practical or sustainable for us to do clever workarounds ("Install a virtual machine with Parallels Desktop or VMware Fusion"). So, just to be clear, and forgive my 1st grader understanding, if (when, because it appears we will have no choice in the near future) we buy a subsrciption to the Creative Cloud, All Apps (far more apps than we need but the only one that includes those we do need), all of our old, CS6, files will run seamlessly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, mcDart, legacy Creative Suite will never be compatible with Catalina.  CS6 came out in 2012 and is no longer supported or updated.  It is End of Life software

Creative Cloud 2020 is approximately 8 versions beyond what you have.  If you want compatibility with Catalina, you need to use CC 2020 or higher.  And if you want trouble free compatibility, wait a few months before you upgrade.  Some bugs still need to be worked out.  See links below.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2020 Jan 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nancy - you are brutal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the most part, work files made with CS6 software are compatible with Creative Cloud products. 

There may be a few exceptions however.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2020 Jan 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RE: mcDart, 

In consideration of upgrading your Adobe software from CS6 to the current CC . . . . For InDesign files make sure you PACKAGE EVERYTHING with the additional .idml file option and you will be able to use the .idml versions for any future Adobe InDesign version should you decide to adapt the CC license versions. . . at least that is a procedure option so far as todays date, LOL!! 

All the best!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2019 Jun 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am in the same boat, I have the last stand-alone version of the Adobe Suite, version CS 6. The subscription pricing is just too high at $600/yr for a casual home user who may use it a few times a year at most to go for an "upgrade" to an ongoing subscription fee. I use it mostly when looking for a new job to update a portfolio and rework materials from previous jobs to share at interviews and modifying photos occasionally, or making custom flyers or Christmas cards. Adobe should think about some option like the Student and Teacher version for a casual home user (not sure how they'd police it). I will not update the OS if it kills my Adobe Suite. Apple did this years ago with the Adobe Suite, I think CS2 when at one update (without notice that it would) it killed the applications, which was a royal pain, if I recall correctly. I don't remember what I had to do then to get back to where they worked. I use the CC versions at work for work reasons, I don't see a big difference between the current CC version versus CS6, using really only InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 13, 2019 Jun 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMPORTANT!  Do not upgrade to Catalina when Apple offers it to.  If you do, your  older 32-bit software will become useless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2019 Aug 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A solution for that problem is quite simple. Install a virtual machine with Parallels Desktop or VMware Fusion and run your old system there. Then you can upgrade to Catalina and still use your 32-bit software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 05, 2019 Aug 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps. Bear in mind that these solutions don’t offer a virtual GPU, which some functions need. A pity. I use Parallels all the time By not for design apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 19, 2019 Aug 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This kills me:

Adobe Applications and 64-Bit Compatibility | Adobe Blog

They knew about this SEVERAL YEARS AGO and still have failed to update their LR6 installer to 64-bit.

You know what's crazy? LR4 still works in Catalina if you bought it from the App Store.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2019 Oct 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seriously, this is ridiculous and negligent. Apple has given all developers enough warning about this transition. Little one app developers have done the responsible thing and updated their software and the arrogant Adobe can't. Unacceptable!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 18, 2019 Oct 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Show me a developer issuing updates for software they discontinued 7 years ago? (This thread is about Creative Suite).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2019 Nov 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you mean that Adobe does not have 64-bit technology for Acrobat Treader and other common Adobe APPS? I was ready to install Catalina but now I an afraid to because I use these APPS frequently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LouMare, Adobe have a strategy for most current (not discontinued) software. You are right to be very careful. I recommend waiting a month or two, then checking EVERY app's status carefully before thinking about Catalina. Let others take the pain of early adoption.

Please understand that there is MUCH more to working in Catalina than being a 64-bit app. That's just the part that journalists understand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for reply. Sounds like a good plan to see what Adobe does before I try t install Catalina

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2019 Oct 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I don't understand is that my CS5.5 is 64bit but still crashes if I re-size a window or try to use text. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 21, 2019 Oct 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is more to software working than being 32 bit or 64 bit. The press have talked about this a lot because it is all they understand, but every release of macOS changes the rules and breaks some apps. Do you really have CS5.5 running in Catalina? If so, that's pretty amazing, but probably no more than a novelty. Certainly you won't ever be able to reinstall it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 22, 2020 Jun 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, with Rosetta 2 announced at WWDC today, is there a possibility that Rosetta 2 can automatically translate 32-bit apps to Apple Silicon?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 22, 2020 Jun 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It seems unlikely Apple would ever allow  apps it blocked in Catalina. In fact this announcement helps to make sense of the 32 bit block in Catalina. Anyway old apps are not just blocked because of the 32 bit thing but because of notarization. 

No, this is a transition. Apple say it will take 2  years. Probably after that Rosetta 2 will go away and we’ll all need to buy all new apps again. Just as happened with the first Rosetta.  Buying new apps often is part of the Joy of Mac. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines