• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Virtual memory issue with Ps Elements 2.0 on win10.

Community Beginner ,
Jul 12, 2021 Jul 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having been helped previously on the forum to find the serial number to this old but much used programme i was able to install it on a new computer. 

Unforunately when i try to open the programme i get the message 

"could not start AP because volume windows is using for virtual memory does not have enough free space..."

i have tried running the programme in compatability mode for win xp to win 8 but no joy.

for information the computer is running 

win10 64 bit.

asrockb450 pro mainboard

amd ryzen 7 3700x 3.6ghz 8core processor

gigabyte gtx 1650 graphics card

32gb ddr4 2666mhz

500gb seagate mvne ssd 

2tb hdd.

thanks.

TOPICS
Installation

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not a bit surprised. I think you need to get up to date with your apps, if you want to keep up to date wityh your Windows. That's 20 years old, older than the long dead Windows XP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think PS Elements isn't really compatible with Windows 10.

The official statement from Adobe is that version 14 and higher are compatible with Win 10

https://helpx.adobe.com/de/photoshop-elements/kb/windows-10-compatibility-faq.html

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.5 - Nik Collection 6.8 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which one of the drives you listed is the boot volume (the drive windows 10 is installed on)?

Did you install photoshop elements 2 on the boot drive?

Have you checked in Windows File Explorer under This PC to see how much free space is on the boot drive?

(as described in this microsoft kb)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/free-up-drive-space-in-windows-85529ccb-c365-490d-b548-8...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Elements 2 can't recognize 1TB + hard drives.  It's as if they don't exist.

You need modern software to match your equipment & OS.

The latest Elements series is 2021.

https://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-elements.html

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jul 13, 2021 Jul 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Similar to @Nancy OShea 's excellent reply - you've got 32GB RAM installed on your new computer, but Photoshop Elements 2.0 will only be able to use a fraction of it (2GB) as that is the maximum it can recognize.

You could go into your Windows 10 settings and change the volume that Windows uses for virtual memory, i.e. change it from your 2TB HDD to your 500GB SSD, but to be honest why would you want to start crippling your brand new computer - it's like owning a Porsche but fitting it with a speed limiter 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2021 Jul 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to everyone who took the trouble to respond. My request was more in hope than expectation and now I know it's not feasible, I can justify keeping my faithfull old Dell on XP taking up desk space, along with my 35mm slide copier, record player and cassette deck. 

Rest assured, I'm writing this on my smartphone. I'm not a complete dinosaur.

Cheers and have a great digital day,

Regards,

Kevin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've kept an old Dell too for exactly the same purpose 🙂

It's a Dimension 5100 from 2005 running XP with Photoshop Elements 1.0 and Premiere Elements 1.0, and a bunch of even older applications.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi Phil.
My Dell is a Dimension 3000, about the same vintage as yours. Keep it going mostly to be able to use an equally aged, inherited Nikon Coolscan 4 35mm neg and slide copier.
It was my late father in laws and he left a heap of wildlife and family slides that I am gradually copying. Handy for turning my old b & w negs into jpegs as well.
Sadly his Nikon FM and FM2, which he also left me, are more ornament than use now but its still nice to have them.
Cheers,
Kevin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines