• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Wacom applications specific shortcut aren't working in Adobe CC 2015 Programs

New Here ,
Jul 05, 2015 Jul 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on a late 2011 iMac, running the latest version of Yosemite. I just got a Cintiq 27qhd and I am trying to setup the application specific shortcuts in system preferences. After thinking it was a Wacom driver issue (which seems to be the case most of them time) it surprisingly doesn't seem to be that way. I have set up various other non-adobe application specific shortcuts and they work flawlessly. Its only with the Adobe CC 2015 apps. Custom shortcuts work fine in the CC apps if I set them up to work in all applications, but as you can guess, that is not ideal. I have tried custom shortcuts for the pen, express remote, and the radial menu.

At this point I don't think its a Wacom driver issue, but I could be wrong. If anyone knows a solutions please let me know.

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jul 15, 2015 Jul 15, 2015

OK, this worked for me:

* Download and install the latest Wacom drivers (http://us.wacom.com/en/support/drivers/), 6.3.13-w3

* Remove My Preferences in the Wacom Tablet Preference File Utility (back up your current one just in case)

* Now add Photoshop or another program in Functions -> Applications and commands should start working. Unfortunately you will have to re-create all of your custom settings, but clearing your preferences is the only thing that worked for me.

You'll want to get that new d

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Jul 12, 2015 Jul 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem; radial menu and express keys always default to the "All Other" settings and do not recognize any customization. The PSUserConfig setting that's worked in the past doesn't seem to help this time either. Using Windows 7, Cintiq 13HD, Photoshop CC 2015, latest Wacom drivers.

Hope we can get an official reply and solution soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 15, 2015 Jul 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, this worked for me:

* Download and install the latest Wacom drivers (http://us.wacom.com/en/support/drivers/), 6.3.13-w3

* Remove My Preferences in the Wacom Tablet Preference File Utility (back up your current one just in case)

* Now add Photoshop or another program in Functions -> Applications and commands should start working. Unfortunately you will have to re-create all of your custom settings, but clearing your preferences is the only thing that worked for me.

You'll want to get that new driver anyway, it adds a ton of really useful new features to context menus. New button bars, sticky radial menus, and more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2017 Nov 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me as well 🙂 Thank you also

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2018 Jan 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also worked for me! Thanks much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 12, 2018 Jan 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The solution of clearing all preferences and restarting of course works, as it clears everything out and you start from scratch making settings for you apps.
But then you are in for a long time of getting all the app preferences right again.

BUT.. There is a better way, that allows you to keep you current settings and "switch" them to the new version of Adobe (whatever).

Save (backup) a copy of your Wacom settings. This file is for editing. (Save an extra copy with a different name, in case you mess up the XML file to be edited. 🙂 )

Now edit the first backup file (default called "Backup.wacomprefs") in a good text editor.

What is happening. Wacom's app matching with Adobe's crazy inclusion of "CC Year-number.ver" in all app paths.

Search for the name of your app. Like Illustrator or Photoshop. You will find entries like this:

<AppID17 type="map">

<ApplicationLongName type="string">C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator CC 2017\Support Files\Contents\Windows\Illustrator.exe</ApplicationLongName>

<ApplicationName type="string">Illustrator</ApplicationName>

<ApplicationRemoved type="bool">false</ApplicationRemoved>

<ApplicationSecondaryId type="string"/>

<ApplicationSeen type="bool">false</ApplicationSeen>

</AppID17>

Notice that there is both an "ApplicationLongName" (with the full path) AND an "ApplicationName" with the short name.

The number (here 17) is a reference to all the real settings, which are in the file as well, referenced by the "17" number (or whatever app numbers your file have.).

This is where Wacom's app matching fails.  If you have been through multiple iterations of Adobe Cloud, where you have redone your settings every time, you will see multiple of these entries (I had 3+ sets of preferences for just Photoshop). One entry for each version (with a new path).
All entries have DIFFERENT app paths, BUT THE SAME basic app name. Like "Illustrator".

This is what is causing the Wacom confusion where it cannot match your app to configuration. I think their matching algos cannot accept that there are multiple entries (different paths) all with the same short name.

You can detect when the matching go wrong this way:

You are in your favorite Adobe Cloud App. One you have created Wacom settings for, as in added to Wacom before.
Now, press the "Settings" button on the tablet (or get the overlay your favorite way). The settings overlay pops up on screen.
If your app's icon (Photoshop/Illustrator/..) is NOT showing in the upper right corner of the Settings overlay, it has NOT recognized the app. It sees merely an "All Others" application, and that will be settings used for your fancy Adobe app.

NOW for what you can change and how to keep your favorite settings.

If you have already tried to make an app entry in Wacom for the new version of the Adobe app, you will already have an entry in the wacom prefs file with a path for say "Illustrator 2018". BUT. You will have other entries like the above XML for the older versions of Illustrator. Maybe as "AppID4" or some such. Likely one for each of the other Adobe  versions you have had through Adobe Cloud.

If you just want the new app recognized (no keeping of old preferences), delete the other (older) app entries. (From line with "<AppIDxx ..." down to "</AppIDxx>" (xx your app number) for each entry you don't need.
Then save the file, and reload Backup  through Wacom Desktop Center (or just double-click the Backup file). Your settings panel/overlay will now recognize your app.
It's Icon will show in the upper right corner of Wacom's settings overlay.

If you want the app(s) recognized, AND KEEP THE GOOD SETTINGS that you spent so much time getting right, then do this instead:

Assuming that your Photoshop/Illustrator/InDesign 2017 settings were just perfect..

Delete as described all the older year entries for that particular App, AND any NEW entries (showing the "CC 2018" in the path).

For each, delete a set of 7 lines defining the App and it's "ID" number.

DO NOT delete the Adobe Apps entry will the (good settings) and CC 2017 in the path. They (in this example) reference all your good, good settings, despite that Wacom cannot find them because you installed a 2018 app version. 🙂

As per the XML entry shown up above, then simply change in the remaining old entry's path "CC 2017" to "CC 2018" for that App ID (my app entry #17, yours will be different).
Save the file in the editor, do a Restore Settings in Wacom Desktop Center (or just double-click the Backup file).

Rinse and Repeat for each Adobe App in your Wacom configuration.

But the trick is, that you must BOTH change the path for the app entry referencing the good settings, AND remove the same-app settings for "other versions" that might clutter your Wacom config and confusing the heck out of it. Plus stops Wacom from matching to the right app (many paths, one app name).

Of course, that leaves all the unused actual settings in the file. now all without a "AppID" heading calling for them. But just leave that junk alone. That is Wacom's problem, not yours. 🙂 It makes no difference.

This is of course just one working method. With a full XML editor, one can of course also create a whole new preferences file by moving good entries from the bad file into a clean one, leave the garbage behind and reload new. But that is for serious techies only. 🙂

NOTE: When Adobe Cloud "CC 2018.SomeVersion", or even CC 2019 comes around, then DO NOT go create a new app entry in Wacom, which would force you to do the whole process again.
When you detect that the new app is not recognized, simply do the above edit of a Backup.wacomprefs file, and just change the single entry for each affected app to the new path Adobe decided to use. You will then have only one entry for each configured app all ready. No need to delete anything. Just change the now old path to the new one. and "Restore" in Wacom Desktop Center. Then all is well. Even for any already running Adobe apps. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2018 May 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are a genius Thank you so much for the effort! Was tricky, bc didn't know what AppID was good one, but with tries and errors its like 2min of work AWSOME

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2020 Apr 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh my friend, THIS WORKED! Thanks so much for your generosity in writing this up. I was pulling my hair out! So grateful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Genius! Still works. Been bugging me for days trying to get my wacom ek remote working with photoshop / illustrator 2021. Great stuff fella

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2021 Apr 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you SIR! That did it for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2021 Jun 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Genius, thanks so much for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2022 Feb 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Wow. So easy once understood. It's crucial that anyone looking for a solution use this method and also get the hang of doing because there doesn't seem to be a fix for this issue once it occurs after each app update version (which will continue to happen!). Learning this method will save you hours of time and frustration. Trust me! 

This screenshot shows an example of a section to grad and delete. I have already deleted the old ones so you wont see them there, but this is also how the file structure should look like when your done (you may have different AppIDx numbers). Do that for any old versions from each application you want to restore (indesign, illustrator, photoshop etc.) Just make sure to leave the most current one (for me it was the highest number which was the bottom one.)

Hope this made sense. If not, disregard this and go back and follow Dridd's original post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 16, 2017 Nov 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me as well 🙂 Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2018 Jan 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What a releave... worked form me! Thank you Looord

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2020 Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wasted something like two hours earlier today doing what wacom.com told me to do, with no change. I google search, find this page, and have this problem solved in less than ten minutes. THANK YOU! You saved the day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines