• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

When I open my Creative Cloud application it asks me for my serial number?

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 17, 2013 Jun 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are being prompted to enter your serial number when opening your actively subscribed Creative Cloud application then there maybe missing account information.  Please see Creative Cloud products prompt for serial number on launch | CCM - http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/ccm-prompt-serial-number.html for additional information.

In addition if you are facing difficulties reaching the activation server please see Sign in or activation errors | CS6, CS5.5 Subscriptions, CS6 Perpetual - http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/activation-network-issues.html.  Also if you are managing a network please see the Adobe Creative Cloud Service Access Documentation for IT section of http://www.adobe.com/devnet/creativesuite/enterprisedeployment.html.

Finally for additional information on managing your Creative Cloud account please see Manage your membership | Creative Cloud - http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/membership-subscription-troubleshooting-creative-c....

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 19, 2014 Sep 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Re Roar are you on a managed network?  What specific errors did you locate within your download log?  Have you completely disabled both software and hardware firewalls which may be interfering with the download process?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2014 Sep 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff. I was on a trial period of 30 days with my PS and LR. I had the same problem with it asking me for a serial number after I purchased the product. I chatted with Adobe and they seemed to solve the problem for me - I opened photoshop after they asked me for information in a /etc folder. Was asked to logg inn and out of my Creative Cloud after that and Photoshop finally worked without asking for a serial number. I have no idea what they did with the information i provided. After ending the chat I was confident that my Lightroom was fixed too... only to discover that it still asked me for a serial number. So now I have photoshop but no lightroom. Its very frustrating as I need to finish up photography deadlines for customers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 22, 2014 Sep 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reven01 it sounds like your host file had entries as well blocking the connection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2014 Sep 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys, I just resolved this issue cause I was having the same problem. After purchasing premiere pro cc, it was asking for a serial number that I could not find within my order at all.

Here is the resolution that worked for ME. I am a Mac user.

After talking to adobe, they said to command shift g in finder.

Then type in /etc  

Then look for a DOCUMENT called hosts

You might have a few that also say hosts~orig and so on, but you just need to mess with the document called hosts.

JUST in CASE, this doesn't work for you, save this document somewhere else..NOT on your desktop though. Preferably an external hard drive.

Ok so, now delete the hosts document from the etc folder.

Create a new TEXTEDIT document and paste this within in:

### Host Database## localhost is used to configure the loopback interface# when the system is booting.  Do not change this entry.##127.0.0.1 localhost255.255.255.255 broadcasthost::1

Save the document as hosts, with no capitol letters.

Place the document in the /etc folder.

Then, it should all work!

I am not into coding, so I am not sure if the message that I had to place in my hosts file is supposed to be different for other people, but this worked for me so good luck!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 22, 2014 Sep 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Serial Number for Premier!  Glad to hear you were able to remove the entry in the host file which was blocking your computer from contacting the activation server.

For future viewers of this discussion this solution is discussed in several of the referenced documents within the discussion.  If you have a Creative Cloud membership and are being prompted to enter a serial number please re-review this discussion and try the referenced solutions.  If you have specific questions regarding any of the steps listed then please post those questions to this discussion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2014 Dec 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much Serial number for Premier - you just saved me from the headache for the past 2 days! I tried some other suggestions for my hosts file but yours worked!

Going to rant for a second.... Woulda been great if Adobe would have a support line that gave a sh*t.  Was on hold for 45 mins yesterday before the connection cut off. Along with no call support help on the weekend, no chat support available online and no answer to my question on the forums.  Makes me want to just pirate the software instead of paying for it.

Peace

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 29, 2014 Dec 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you SOOOO MUCH!!! I tried to fix this issue about week!!! Your post very helpful!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2015 Jan 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for sharing this invaluable experience with us.

I  spent 3 days trying first to solve the problem on my own  then to get any help from Adobe.     Hopeless!!

For other people  fighting the same disaster: this advice as in Serial number for Premier post dd 20/09/2014 works perfectly  for Windows as well!

As far as I understand it make sense to try this if you detect failure in reaching activation server:

http://helpx.adobe.com/ru/x-productkb/policy-pricing/activation-network-issues.html    → Check hosts file  → see p.2

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2015 Jun 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you are a lifesaver! thank you for your post

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2015 Jun 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am going to add for the windows users, this also solved my problem.

go to

%systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc\

copy and paste the hosts folder somewhere else like the desktop, open in notepad, remove entry that are blocking adobe servers and save, move the new file back over to the %systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc\ folder and you need admin rights to overwrite.

If you were like me and had been using a cracked version but decided to sign up and pay for the software this step will fix this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2015 Jul 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks davidf7734262 - it worked perfectly!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2015 Nov 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you are a legend fella, this has been bugging me for a few days now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2015 Sep 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for me too. Thanks for help. Fuming with adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2016 Feb 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANKS A LOT! Your post was must useful then Adobe Help Center!!!!!!! I think they just fix this issue, so simple!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2014 Sep 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having same issues as others in previous posts. All apps ask for serial number. Only option was to use it as trial so I could complete my work. Trial expired now, can't access the software, which is already paid for.

Running iMac with OS 10.9.4

Followed all the above info from previous posts.

• Changed language to English Int'l.
  • Deleted and inserted new hosts file
  • Signed out and signed in
  • Verified my account info, using correct User ID (I have two)
  • Deleted Creative Cloud app and all software, then reinstalled

No luck. Still asks for serial number and does not acknowledge that I have a paid membership.

I am college faculty and signed up for Adobe CC using the faculty discount ($20/year).

Everything during sign in went smoothly, downloads worked great. But has continuously asked for password when everything I read says memberships do not require password.

Need help. Very frustrating. Appreciate your input.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 01, 2014 Dec 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone and thanks @Serial number for Premier, whom process has just worked for me either.

I just activated my version of Photoshop, and now I'm gonna do the other apps.

I had the same trouble as everyone here, not being able to activate my products whereas I was a regular member of CC.

The solution came from the "hosts" file in the /etc folder of Mac OS X.

The process is described here (step 3 of this page ) : Erreurs de connexion et d’activation | CC, CS6, CS5.5

I could see the two adobe logos but I noticed that I couldn't access the the Adobe activation servers.

Then I started to follow the instructions regarding the "hosts" file in the /etc folder, + advice from "Serial number for Premier" (higher on this page),

and so far it seems to work, at least for Photoshop. I don't have the "serial number window" at the start.

Hope this could help.

Cheers;

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2014 Sep 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am college faculty and signed up for Adobe CC using the faculty discount ($20/year).

Everything during sign in went smoothly, downloads worked great. But has continuously asked for password when everything I read says memberships do not require password.

Correction to original post:

But has continuously asked for serial number when everything I read says memberships do not require serial numbers.

Sorry about that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2014 Sep 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have bought my CC membership and same issue, asking for serial number.

As a fulltime graphic designer, I'm losing so much time and this is VERY frustrating.

When I tried every step provided at the helpdesk, nothing works.

When I wanted to contact through Chat, chat doesn't work.

I'm getting REALLY upset because I'm paying for these programs, every month, and nothing works!!

Can you please check this?! VERY URGENT!!

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 30, 2014 Sep 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cceyssens if you are not being given a chat option then please try a different web browser.  Your current add-ons/toolbars/security settings may be preventing you from contacting our support team directly at Contact Customer Care.

Otherwise please review the documentation listed in the original post.  If you have any specific questions then please feel free to post them to this discussion.  The documentation provided will allow you to restore connectivity to the activation servers.  If you are in a managed network environment then please involve your I.T. department.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2015 Jan 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it worked for me.

I entered the host file and erased all the lines that "adobe ....." appear at.

than sign out,sign in and it works

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 21, 2015 Mar 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In attempting to convert from the free trial to paid subscription, i am asked for a serial number in order to proceed.  However, I was never issued a serial number with the free trial - or if i was, I don't have it.  And i can't access it through the app, because my trial has ended!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2015 Mar 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also attempting to convert a free trial of Lightroom to a new CC account.  No matter what I have tried I get the request for a serial number.  I have built up a significant photo library and metadata that I want to save.

I tried to follow the suggestions at https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/ccm-prompt-serial-number.html

Verify activation is not blocked:  I am viewing the help pages without difficulty - what else can I check?

Verify payment information:  when I go to Adobe.com/manage your membership it says I have a one year contract and nothing about any problems

Verify your birth date:  I have never been asked for a birth date and don’t know what to do with that.

Set your language to international English: Have done that in the CC app.  When I look at Adobe.com the only choice is English (US) and English (UK).  Don’t know what to do about that.

Log out and log back in to your account:  Done that numerous times, restarted computer, uninstalled CC application and reinstalled. 

CC App shows Lightroom is installed and up to date.  When I click on Lightroom in the CC app list it goes to the screen asking for the serial number.  Neither clicking on the gear or right clicking brings up a viable option.  Uninstall is greyed out.

It is frustrating that it seems so hard to even use the program after plunking down the money.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 31, 2015 Mar 31, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alanh89135674 the trial of Photoshop Lightroom 5 requires a serial number.  Please remove the current installation of Photoshop Lightroom 5 and reinstall through the Creative Cloud Desktop application.  You can find details on how to uninstall and install Lightroom 5 at Creative Cloud Help | Download, install, update, or uninstall apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jeff for trying to help.

Finally found the source of my problem.  I had external backup disks and apparently if CC finds a copy of Lightroom anywhere it goes into the behavior I was seeing.  Deleting what I considered my active system version of Lightroom did no good.  After ejecting these disks I was able to download a new copy which is recognized.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting. I struggled with this for months as Adobe were unable to find an answer. Eventually quit CC because of this (and the fact its so stupidly expensive in the UK)

Kicking myself for not thinking of that.....well done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines