• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

When I open VueScan, DNG Converter opens instead.

New Here ,
Sep 09, 2020 Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I download a new version of VueScan, when I open it, instead of VueScan, I get Adobe DNG Converter. I have talked to VueScan and they said the problem is wwith Adobe DNG Converter.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 11, 2020 Sep 11, 2020

OS "File associations" determine the App that opens when you select a file.

eg. a .DOC file is associated with MS-Word.  An .HTML file would open with a Web browser (Safari).

Search in Googly-

ScreenShot033.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you descibe is Completely impossible.

If you downlaoded an install program for VueScan, or even an .EXE (or .APP) file for VueScan and then you double clicked on that file no other program would open.

Please post the Exact File Name of whatever you downloaded.

Do you have a copy of the Adobe DNG converter program on your computer?

Did you ever install the Adobe DNG converter program?

Where are you downloading this supposed new version of VueScan from? Website address.

Also you have posted in the Using the Community form and this forum is for getting help using this forum system.

I would move this thread to a better forum but I'm not sure it even belongs on the Adobe support forum system as If YOU did download a new version of VueScan from the VueScan website, which as far as I know is not affiliated with Adobe in any way. I have no idea why you think the problem you are having is Adobe's fault.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps you have a problem with file associations?

I just downloaded VueScan 9 to Windows 10 and opened it. VueScan opened as expected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2020 Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never had this problem with downloading a new version of VueScan until about a month ago. Now every time I try, it opens DNG Converter. I just tried again, and got the same result. I go to https://www.hamrick.com/download.html?utm_source=vuescan&utm_medium=app&utm_campaign=vuescanupgrade&... , and it automatically sends a vuex6497.dmg file. When I double click on it, Adobe DNG Converter opens instead. I asked VueScan (Hamrick) about it, and they said it had to be something else on my computer or with the DNG Converter. That's why I'm asking here. Could it be something wrong wth DNG Converter? I'm new on this site, so I'm not sure if I'm in the right place, but it was the only page where I could find a Post button. thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok I'll ask Again.

Do you have the Adobe DNG converter program installed on your computer?

Just checking. You are using a Mac aren't you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the whole Adobe Suite came on my Mac. Yes, I'm on a Mac. Yes. I thought maybe it was Safari that was the problem, but I have since tried 5 different browsers, and I get the same problem with all of them. The only one I haven’t tried is Chrome. Any other ideas what could be the problem? I've downloaded many upgrades to VueScan over the years and never had a problem before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you purchased your Mac computer used and the person you bought it from did not remove software that is not licensed to you.

Because as far as I know New Mac computers do not come from Apple with Adobe software installed on it.

I think there in lies part if not all of your trouble.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the way it came, but it has worked just fine for over a year. This problem has just happened within the last month.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are "file associations", and how do I fixz them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 11, 2020 Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OS "File associations" determine the App that opens when you select a file.

eg. a .DOC file is associated with MS-Word.  An .HTML file would open with a Web browser (Safari).

Search in Googly-

ScreenShot033.jpg

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2020 Sep 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That did it! I clicked on the VueScan .DMG file, then Command I. When that opened, I saw that it was some app I had downloaded had changed the Open with: to Adobe DNG Converter, instead of DiskImageMounter. Once I changed that, it opened as it should. Now to find what app caused the problem!

Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines