where are CC update installers stored?

Participant ,
Nov 11, 2020 Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm currently updating Adobe After Effects through the CC app.

Currently it is "installing media encoder" and "updating after effects"...

I'm just wondering where the installers are stored on my local system? I have the offline installer for After Effects CC2019... If I wanted to migrate to a new system, would it be possible to use the old installer, then use the update installer (if I can find it) to install an up-to-date version without having to download it all again?

~ David Sweeney-Bear ~
Message from moderator: Do not add websites in your signature or your account will be banned
TOPICS
File sync

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct Answer

Adobe Community Professional , Nov 17, 2020 Nov 17, 2020
This is an interesting question, but in fact the CC Desktop app does not download or store entire installers in any traditional sense... It downloads and installs different pieces of a program one component at a time. And when updates happen, it only downloads the piece(s) it needs to make the change. In other words, you cannot download complete, standalone installers using the CC Desktop app. However, you can use direct download links to get offline installers, which you can then copy to an...

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that wouldn't save any time because, when you update,

1. the newer version is installed and

2a. the older version is uninstalled (if that's what you opt to do) or

2b. not uninstalled (if that's what you opt to do).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I see that now... I ended up with both After Effects 2019 and 2020 installed (never saw un option to uninstall the previous version).

Still wondering where the 2020 installer is located locally... or does it self-delete after installation?

~ David Sweeney-Bear ~
Message from moderator: Do not add websites in your signature or your account will be banned

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you have to pay attention when you install because it's easy to miss the option to uninstall vs keep older versions.  i don't think, but am not certain that, installers are stored locally.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 17, 2020 Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is an interesting question, but in fact the CC Desktop app does not download or store entire installers in any traditional sense... It downloads and installs different pieces of a program one component at a time. And when updates happen, it only downloads the piece(s) it needs to make the change.

In other words, you cannot download complete, standalone installers using the CC Desktop app.

However, you can use direct download links to get offline installers, which you can then copy to another computer if you wish to re-use any installer without having to download it all over again:

How to Get New Adobe Creative Cloud 2021 Direct Download Links

This is also helpful when you need to get the products onto a computer which does not have a fast or unlimited network connection, or if you wish to keep that machine offline most of the time for security purposes, etc.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines