• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

which pc is best for running Adobe cc apps like Illustrator and photoshop?

New Here ,
Oct 21, 2017 Oct 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am upgrading and ready to buy another pc. I have been using a Dell Inspiron M731R and it is slow as molasses. Would love to speed up load and processing time.

Would love suggestions on something which pc is best for running Adobe cc apps like Illustrator and photoshop? Would love to get one which lasts more than 2 years in evolution.

Thanks for your input!

CeCe

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 22, 2017 Oct 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you want another laptop, and do you want a 17" screen again?

How much do you want to spend?

What sort of work do you do?  Photo editing, and if yes, do you use a very high pixel count camera?

Using Dell as a kind of filter, these are the 17" screen options

http://www.dell.com/nz/p/laptops#!facets=42443~0~212422&p=1

I like to use eBay to home in on a short list, as it has such good filters.

PC Laptops & Netbooks | eBay

I also prefer to look at gaming laptops as their spec is generally also suited to image editing.  Fast GPUs, a good amount of RAM.  I didn't think Illustrator was too heavy on system resources, and Photoshop functions are mostly lightly threaded, so a good clock speed, and fast memory is more important than a multi core CPU.

These Puget Systems articles are for desktops, but look at the benchmarks.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Photoshop-CC-2017-1-1-CPU-Performance-Core-i7-8700K-i5-86...

Now look at these benchmarks.  The i9-7980X is a $2000 CPU, but for Photoshop at least, you get similar performance from the _much_ cheaper CPUs

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Photoshop-CC-2017-1-1-CPU-Performance-Core-i9-7940X-7960X...

You can't compare these two chart like with like because they show a percentage performance of one of the CPUs.  , but you can compare the times in the two table directly one against the other.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is your budget?

If you can give us some parameters - it will help us answer your question 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Buy a ready made Desktop Video Editing PC... which will completely handle your needs

-http://www.adkvideoediting.com/ or http://www.sharbor.com/ or https://www.pugetsystems.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without knowing more (budget / where you are living etc), here's a simple solution...

MSI GP62MVR
It has a fast Core i5 processor, 8GB of memory, it boots from as 256GB M.2 SSD and has a 1TB data drive - as well as a 3GB GTX1060 graphics card (with lots of CUDA cores for Adobe GPU acceleration).

It IS HD (1920x1080), but not an IPS panel
Still... at £999 it is a bit of a bargain

The Dell you have is using very old / slow AMD technology - you will get a massive boost from a modern laptop

BUT you'll get more power from a desktop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

System Requirements are merely minimum recommendations.  In truth you need a lot more HD & RAM to support your operating system + Creative Cloud Desktop App  + Photoshop + Illustrator + any other apps and utilities you plan to use.

Buy a fast 64-bit computer processor  with as much hard disk and RAM memory as you can afford.  And don't skimp on the graphics card either.

Adobe Creative Cloud system requirements

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/system-requirements.html

Adobe Illustrator system requirements

My Dell Inspiron desktop has 3.6 GHz CPU, 2 TB HD and 32 GB RAM.  No problems with slowness on my end.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mentioned gaming hardware back up the thread, and John suggested a video editing spec.  John's suggestion would get you a better laptop, but it would be expensive.  As several people have now asked, the very least we need to know is your budget.

You mentioned future proofing your purchase.  I bought my laptop in mid 2013, and it still laughs in the face of Photoshop, and is even comfortable with Premiere Pro (which is hard on resources)..  So four and a bit years old.  The spec is

MSI GT70

17 inch screen

3630QM

GTX680M

16Gb memory

two 128GB SSDs in a raid0

A huge 180W power supply.

It cost me NZ$2500 ($1740 USD)

I have no plans to replace this any time soon.  In fact it still out performs any of the more recent laptops owned by my camera club buddies.

Just to remind you that you have answer waiting to be read

CeCe1019

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

SSD needs to be bigger than 200GB if you want an easy life.

8GB of memory will be fine unless you’re using After Effects (which is very greedy   )

worth thinking about spending more on the screen... IPS panels have much better colour reproduction (useful if you’re a designer)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines