• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why can't I run Adobe Desktop applications on Windows RT?

Community Beginner ,
May 28, 2015 May 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why can't I download any of the creative suites software to used on my surface pro tablet?  I called customer support and the answer was "well you just can't.  We don't support that particular device, or any device from Microsoft.  You need to buy an iPad or android device.". The surface pro is a mini computer.  It has an Intel processor.  It should work the same as a desktop.  Why doesn't adobe recognize it?  Or have I been lied to by somebody in customer support?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Windows RT cannot run Windows applications (like the Adobe Creative Cloud apps).

Windows RT can only run apps specifically designed for tablets.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

do you have a surface pro 3 with win 8.1?

if yes, you can install full adobe programs on it.  i have.

if you have surface 2 with win rt, no you can't install adobe programs on it because you have a crippled os.

as far as mobile apps go, the win rt os is not supported.  i don't think anyone considers it a mobile device like an ipad.

win rt is more like chrome:  a crippled os.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What does it mean to have a crippled os?  I've never heard this term before and I can't find a decent definition of it on Google.  I don't understand why every tablet except for mine would be supported for every program except adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows RT cannot run Windows applications (like the Adobe Creative Cloud apps).

Windows RT can only run apps specifically designed for tablets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Confirm which operating system you're running.

Which Windows operating system am I running? - Windows Help

Is is Windows 8/8.1 or Windows 8 RT?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in addition to reading cc's and jw's replies in messages 3 and 4:

a crippled os is a compromised os, or an os that is not able to run all the programs a user might expect.

in the case of win rt, it's not capable of running programs designed for the full windows os'es.  that's why the surface pro and surface pro 2 were busts.  ms finally got it right with the surface pro 3 which does support a full os (win 8.1).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

that's why the surface pro and surface pro 2 were busts.  ms finally got it right with the surface pro 3 which does support a full os (win 8.1).

The other way round. Surface had RT (until version 3). Surface Pro always ran full Windows.

Surface = Windows RT

Surface 2 = Windows RT

Surface 3 = Full Windows

Surface Pro= Full Windows

Surface Pro 2 = Full Windows

Surface Pro 3 = Full Windows

If Jacqueline really is running a Surface Pro tablet as she states (which would be running full Windows) - and not a Surface with RT - then Adobe Creative Suite should run on her tablet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines