• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adding payment options to website

Community Beginner ,
Jan 21, 2019 Jan 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been asked to have the website be able to take payments (Visa / direct debit etc), how do i do this?

I'm struggling to find anything online to help, all seems to talk about Wordpress and PayPal.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 21, 2019 Jan 21, 2019

Start with the bank because that's how you get paid.  Find out which credit card payment processors (gateways) you can use with your account.   Once you have your gateways established, you can shop for a PCI compliant shopping cart that is compatible with your gateways.  I can't emphasize enough the importance of PCI compliance.  A merchant who is not PCI compliant could be hit with costly penalty fees and have their credit card processing privileges suspended or revoked.   The bank will usually

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The method of taking payments using paypal in wordpress, is the same as one would use in a Dreamweaver created site, (which also applies to other payment gateways).

If your client wishes to do the payment processing themselves, whilst possible, it is unadvisable as the cost of bank, (card processing) approval is very expensive, and will require your code, the online security of the site and approval to be obtained in order to do so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a very broad question which invites a broad answer.

First off, you will need a secure site, i.e. one that is covered by a Secure Socket Layer (SSL). Secondly, you will need a payment gateway.

If you require more information, please come back with more details such as, my site already has an SSL or I already have an e-commerce site including a payment gateway etc. etc.

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been given a very broad brief.

I work at a small company, we have a website that I managed to put together using tutorials a few years ago. They now want something else. Probably responsive (bootstrap starter template), and have been asked to make it so customers can give the company money through website, its not a shop as such, probably some boxes to fill out like; name, company, work done and then 'pay money'.

So, no, i don't really know what Secure Socket Layer (SSL) is, or how to get that, or implement it. From what i gather, this needs to be paid for in some way.

Can you tell I'm a little out my depth?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to tell you, but you are NOT allowed to do as you wish, without a number of legal and security conditions being met.

Just to hold users names, addresses or other personal info requires complience with data protection legislation. Add to that collecting credit/debit card information requires legal and payment protection, (security) to be in place which involves the procedures I very briefly outlined in my first reply.

The days of the avarage website collecting user info, or credit/debit card info without a, (large) financial investment are no longer possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The simplest option is to use  paypal.........the customer can pay by the credit card option paypal provides if they wish. No Wordpress involved, you can integrate paypal with your current website.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Start with the bank because that's how you get paid.  Find out which credit card payment processors (gateways) you can use with your account.   Once you have your gateways established, you can shop for a PCI compliant shopping cart that is compatible with your gateways.  I can't emphasize enough the importance of PCI compliance.  A merchant who is not PCI compliant could be hit with costly penalty fees and have their credit card processing privileges suspended or revoked.   The bank will usually require Level 1 merchants to audit & verify PCI compliance once each year.  This procedure varies quite a bit by region and bank.  It can be as simple as answering a few questions over the phone.  Or it can cost several hundred dollars for training & testing of everyone in the company who comes in contact with customer data.  The latter is necessary when customer data is collected and stored on the premises.   See link below for more on PCI compliance.

https://www.pcicomplianceguide.org/faq/

In terms of PCI compliant shopping carts, do a Google search or ask your bank which carts they recommend.

Good luck!

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines