• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe does not get it

Community Expert ,
May 05, 2020 May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What a disaster this has become. Looking at the CC desktop app, I thought I would look under Categories for my favourite product called Dreamweaver. The first place I look for is Web Development. Not to be found. Finally find it in the Category of UI & UX. Does this mean that Adobe has earmarked Dreamweaver for designers only? Is it earmarked for simple static web pages? Is it bundled in the Adobe flagship XD, as the banner makes us believe?

To quote Wikipedia:

Among web professionals, "web development" usually refers to the main non-design aspects of building websites: writing markup and coding.[2] Web development may use content management systems (CMS) to make content changes easier and available with basic technical skills.

Where is full stack development? Where is CMS? Where is eCommerce? Where is Progressive Web App?  And so the list goes on.

Dreamweaver went downhill when Server Behaviours panels were removed and it has never recovered. It hurts me to say, "RIP my beloved Dreamweaver"

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 06, 2020 May 06, 2020

I bailed out a few years back now because I certainly would not be paying a premium re-occuring fee for an overated bit of software still stuck in the 1990s. I have zero idea how DW is still managing to entice people to pay for the product given the lack of committment by Adobe, the lack of inter-action in this forum by those who work on DW. Its a poor, poor, product by todays standards. I should think its just used as a 'give-away freebie' for those who have a full subscription to the Cloud and

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
May 06, 2020 May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I bailed out a few years back now because I certainly would not be paying a premium re-occuring fee for an overated bit of software still stuck in the 1990s. I have zero idea how DW is still managing to entice people to pay for the product given the lack of committment by Adobe, the lack of inter-action in this forum by those who work on DW. Its a poor, poor, product by todays standards. I should think its just used as a 'give-away freebie' for those who have a full subscription to the Cloud and is laughing in the face of those who pay for it as a seperate entity.

Im angry, like you as I cut my teeth on DW for many years but Adobe never listens to its user base, rather abuses them. Pretty much anyone who was anyone in this forum knew that removing the server behaviours (its only saving grace at the time ) and not replacing them would be the death of it, but  did Adobe listen, no they put their faith in zombies who farted around with failed ideas like responsive grid. Those zombies are probably long gone from Adobe after wrecking DW.

Whilst I absolutely hate the website/app-editor you are now using I have the utmost respect for the developers behind it. You can't fault their commitment, their innovation, their interaction with their forum members and their ability to update on a regular basis (weekly).

Whatever will be, will be - DW is dead in my opinon, even if they ever manage to get the server behavious back, too little too late, its living on past glory, very sad to see it decline in such a lacklustre fashion

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe, (and the Dw team) DO see Dw as a tool for designers only, and b.t.w. you now have to leave anything you do that relates to the future of Dw, (at least that's what I was told to do, when I said the same as you are now saying in the pre-release).

In Dw's defence though. Ask yourself "how many people who decide(d) what Dw,s future should be, actually use Dw beyond personal sites"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Dw's defence though. Ask yourself "how many people who decide(d) what Dw,s future should be, actually use Dw beyond personal sites"?

I think there would be more respect IF that was the clear message coming forth from Adobe. Adobe has the reputation for producing industry standard software. In this respect DW, as its flag ship web app, is too far behind the curve in my opinion, so its rather confusing as its doesnt really fit with the companies expected high standards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Adobe do say that Dw is for designers, even if they also go on to say Dw is for 'designers who wish to code'.

One only has to look at the code editor Adobe recommends for coding for its 'experiance cloud', (VS Code) to see that Dw is not considered 'up-to-standard', even by Adobe themselves.

The 'rot' really started back in CS5, when it was decided that 'theme' creation for wordpress, (etc) was more important than html5 and css3 support, and that those cms's are all that designers and developers require going forward. Add to that, with many 'well known at the time' Dw so called experts, saying that html5 and css3 would NOT be usable in browsers until 2022, (another 2 years away), Dw's demise was secured.

Even reading posts over the last few years, and the Dw road maps, demonstrates the complete and utter lack of knowledge of how the 'front end', (UI/UX) is changing by Adobe, (also read Dw managment).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines