• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After the v 21.3 update I can no longer connect on my sftp server to publish my site.

Community Beginner ,
Jul 02, 2022 Jul 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Jul 02, 2022 Jul 02, 2022

Hi @Bryntel,

Thanks for writing to us. Please refer SFTP troubleshoot page and let us know if the issue gets resolved.

Have a pleasant day!

Regards,

Nayan

Dreamweaver Team

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Nov 03, 2022 Nov 03, 2022

Try this workaround for servers with legacy connection protocols.

https://helpx.adobe.com/dreamweaver/kb/troubleshoot-sftp-server-connection-issues.html

Failing the above workaround, continue using CoreFTP client to transfer files.  Or roll back to your previous version of DW and server settings until your server is updated with new connection protocols.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Bryntel,

Thanks for writing to us. Please refer SFTP troubleshoot page and let us know if the issue gets resolved.

Have a pleasant day!

Regards,

Nayan

Dreamweaver Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Nayan!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Who is your web host?

Can you connect to the server with free FileZilla SFTP/client?

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 04, 2022 Jul 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing what I think is a similar problem. Mac OS 10.14.6, Dreamweaver 21.3. I am trying to connect to my site on AWS. I admittedly have not done this in a few months, but when I try to connect to the server now, it just keeps saying that "An FTP error occurred - cannot make connection to host. Your login or password is incorrect. Please check your connection information."  

While it is certainly possible that my password is wrong, I haven't changed anything on my Amazon account in years and haven't had a problem getting in in the past. When I look at my server setting, it says to use a private key file for authentication. I have no idea how this was initially set up, I just know that it used to work. I looked at the troubleshooting page referenced above, but either it is over my head or it changing the legacy algorithms did not work. I am attaching the error file. I trashed it before my last try, so the data here is hopefully relevant to my current problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @douglasb50285106,

Thanks for writing to us and enclosing SFTPError.log file. Can you please try the below:

1. Quit Dw

2. Replace the content with the below entries in the config file present within the folder "/Users/<username>/Library/Application\ Support/Adobe/Dreamweaver 2021/<locale>/Configuration/SFTP/".

HostkeyAlgorithms +ssh-rsa,ssh-dss,rsa-sha2-256,rsa-sha2-512
PubkeyAcceptedAlgorithms +ssh-rsa,ssh-dss,rsa-sha2-256,rsa-sha2-512
PubkeyAcceptedKeyTypes +ssh-rsa,ssh-dss,rsa-sha2-256,rsa-sha2-512

3. Save and close the file

Please be aware that this issue could be due to server using older deprecated protocols(per OpenSSH standards) and hence there could be other reasons for the connectivity failure which we will further debug in case the above doesn't works.

Have a pleasant day!

Regards,

Nayan

Dreamweaver Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That did not help.  HOWEVER, when I look in that directory, there are now TWO files named config. The one I made and the one that was there before (which wasn't there before I launched DW).  That one contains this:

HostkeyAlgorithms +ssh-rsa
PubkeyAcceptedAlgorithms +ssh-rsa

I tried editing it and saving it, but it was no longer plain text when I saved it, so I created a new one using BBedit and saving it as text. I removed the .txt, but apparently DW did not see it or did not like it. Frankly, I don't understand how there can be two identically named files in the same directory... When I tried to drop that config file in the area below so that you can see it, it says "The file type (.config) is not supported."  I included the config file I create (which does NOT end in .txt on my system).  What now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @douglasb50285106,

Thanks for the quick revert. As mentioned there could be other reasons leading to the connectivity failure. Can we have a remote connect session for further investigating the behavior.

We have sent the remote connect details via email.

Regards,

Nayan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue with my site hosted by Namecheap. The configuration update in the linked article solved the problem, and I have asked Namecheap to update their supported protocols.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2022 Nov 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this exact problem. I tried all the troubleshooting without success. Please help! My log is below.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try the steps listed in Troubleshoot SFTP server connection issues (adobe.com) ? That's what worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Bobswesternshirt,

To rule out a computer network/ISP problem, can you connect to remote server with free FileZilla S/FTP client?

https://filezilla-project.org/download.php?type=client

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried with Core FTP, and I get:

Server error. Permission denied.

Data port failed

Error loading directory...

I have no issues with any site that use FTP. Sites with SFTP all fail. And yes, @sbl I tried the troubleshoot page without success. I also contacted my host (networksolutions) and they said it is working fine on their end - not helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

=============

If unable to connect to remote with a dedicated SFTP client, you have other problems. Check that your connection settings are correctly entered and the server's Root Directory is defined properly.  Hosting plans vary.  Some use public_html/ or www/,  htdocs/,  html/ or no root directory.

CC-RootFolder.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2022 Nov 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nancy-

I updated my password and adjusted the root directory, and it worked in CoreFTP. I tried the exact same settings in Dreamweaver I get the following error. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did you generate your private key file? 

Dreamweaver does not support .ppk file. Please convert the .ppk file into .pem file using putty generator and try it out.

https://helpx.adobe.com/dreamweaver/using/connect-remote-server.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the thing... I've never generated private keys. These SFTP sites (hosted by Network Solutions) were working fine in DW until whenever the last major update. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And I didn't use any keys when using CoreFTP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this workaround for servers with legacy connection protocols.

https://helpx.adobe.com/dreamweaver/kb/troubleshoot-sftp-server-connection-issues.html

Failing the above workaround, continue using CoreFTP client to transfer files.  Or roll back to your previous version of DW and server settings until your server is updated with new connection protocols.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the suggestion to roll back to previous version of DW. Didn't think of that. Everything works great now. That workaround didn't have any effect. Seems strange I've found so few mentions of this problem - I would think there must be a lot of people with this problem that is clearly DW.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 17, 2022 Nov 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reported this exact issue about a couple of months ago. It has nothing to do with deprecated algorithms. If you pull your full error log, you will see that it says "tried private key" and it will list a partial file path. The issue with not connecting is due to Dreamweaver not pulling the full file path for your .pem key (and presumably not using the key as a result). This needs to be fixed so that we can use the most updated version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 19, 2022 Nov 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue with not connecting is due to Dreamweaver not pulling the full file path for your .pem key...

By @Renaissance501

============

Given that DW is only minimally maintained now, an updated version may not be forthcoming.   In the meantime, try this:

1. Go to Site > Manage Sites.

2. Export the Site definition to STE file (be sure to include FTP data).

3. Open the STE file in Code View.  Edit path to .pem key file & Save.

4. Go back to Site > Manage Sites panel and Import the STE file into your settings.

Hope that helps. Keep us posted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I will try this. Is Dreamweaver in progress to be deprecated and/or discontinued? If so, will a new editor software be released as part of CC? Professionals like me hand code everything and do not use WYSIWYG features or editors. As I understand it, Adobe has had quite a few of those for people who are not so knowledgeable of html, css, and various programming languages. Dreamweaver serves my needs well, although it could be improved upon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are users of Dreamweaver, just like you. We can only guess what is going on. 

To us, Adobe has lost complete interest in Dreamweaver and like programs. This is evident from the fact that many features have been dropped. Adobe prefers to point to VSCode as seen here:

https://www.adobe.com/products/xd/learn/design-systems/cloud-libraries/vscode-extension.html

In many other events and articles, the name Dreamweaver is totally missing. Adobe does not actively update Dreamweaver, illustrated by the fact that Bootstrap v5 has not been included after one year.

Your guess is as good as mine. Try the free IDE VSCode with the many extensions. For me it has been Wappler.

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines