We've used Dreamweaver for about 15 or so years for our website. Today I tried to connect and got "An FTP error occurred -- cannot make connection to host. Your log-in or password is incorrect..."
How do I correct that? This happened once before, but my computer son was here to re-connect. What icons do I use? Where do I go? We have Windows and our host is Hostgator. When I called them up, the connection was terrible and English was probably her third language???
How do I re-connect?
You will need to contact your hosting company first, to make sure you have the correct log in information. Sometimes, certain companies will reset your username and password when they update your server, so the info you have on hand, that may have worked perfectly well for years, could be wrong.
Once you have verified your credentials...
1. Open DW
2. Choose Site > Manage Sites... from the main menu bar
3. Click the site you are working on (if you have more than one) to highlight it
4. Click Edit
5. Click Servers in the sidebar of the dialogue window that comes up
6. Click the Remote server in the list that comes up to highlight it
7. Click Edit
8. In the window that comes up...
A. You will need to have an FTP Address (it will be either your server's IP address, or the domain name of your site)
B. Your username and password given by your hosting company
C. The server's Root Directory (usually something like htdocs, public_html or www, but could be anything they tell you)
9. Hit Test. If everything is correct, it will give you a "success" prompt.
10. Hit Save and close out of the Manage Sites windows
You should now be able to update your site.