• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Basic questions about less common TLD's

Engaged ,
Jun 03, 2019 Jun 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The .com I was going for is taken, but the .me is available (and thankfully works w/ the theme of the site).

My host is offering the .me for $3 first year, then a whopping $33 for subsequent years. (Comparatively, .com is $16 for annual renewals.)

This made me want to find more info about .me -- basic questions like who runs it, and why is it so expensive? What country is it from? Is there a Wiki for this kind of stuff?

Also, is there any danger that one of these fancier TLD's will just up and disappear overnight? How about jacking the price to something absurd, forcing a rebrand? Are there any mechanisms in place to prevent that?

I guess the real question is, are TLD's like franchises; subject to a common code of conduct (so to speak) -- or more like completely independent entities; free to do whatever they want independently of one another?

(I've only ever dealt with .com/.net… is it generally safer to stick with the tried and true Verisign ones? Or not at all?)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) co-ordinates and maintains/administers TLD's. For more see ICANN - Wikipedia

If you are a business, you get the best results if you stay with '.com' for international exposure or a variant (like '.com.au') for local exposure.

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BenPleysier  wrote

The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) co-ordinates and maintains/administers TLD's. For more see ICANN - Wikipedia

Thanks, but where do I find information on .me specifically? (info like any of the questions in the OP)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

give a shot @gandi.net as registrar

Nom de domaine - Plus de 750 extensions / Gandi.net

the price are usually more fair there

i.e I saw the .me renew less expensive than what you get.

plus, did you buy yours at a real recorded registrar or just a pure resseler / sometimes hoster ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 04, 2019 Jun 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/B+i+r+n+o+u  wrote

give a shot @gandi.net as registrar

Nom de domaine - Plus de 750 extensions / Gandi.net

the price are usually more fair there

i.e I saw the .me renew less expensive than what you get.

plus, did you buy yours at a real recorded registrar or just a pure resseler / sometimes hoster ?

Hi Birnou,

I do everything through Dreamhost. Here is their .me registration page (which is part of a larger tree). You'll note the cheap first year and whopping annual renewals (among the most expensive, twice the cost of .com or .net).

Questions :

1. What country does .me represent, if any? (Is there a Wiki out there for this sort of thing?)
  2. How does ICANN justify .me annual renewal costs being twice what they are for .com + .net (which I believe are Verisign-operated, correct?)
  3. What does it mean that Verizon is associated with .com + .net, but not .me? My gut feeling is that .com + .net don't belong to the same category of TLD as .me (that the latter might represent a country, whereas .com + .net don't).
  4. If I go with .me (a first) what's to stop whoever's fixing the rates at the source from jacking the price overnight two years in? (is there more risk of that happening with specialty TLDs like .me than more commonly-used TLDs like .com?)
  5. Gandi's price for .me is even more expensive than Dreamhost's (over $80 for 3 years) which brings us back to Question #2.

I am asking these questions because the client is hesitating between the two branding options, so I need to consider the short and long term consequences of each path.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

.me is the TLD for Montenegro.  If this is a business, stick with .com or .biz.

.me - Wikipedia

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Nancy+OShea  wrote

.me is the TLD for Montenegro.  If this is a business, stick with .com or .biz.

.me - Wikipedia

It's for a single-person business, which is why the .me actually works here as a Plan B (or did before all these warnings).

1. Why not .me for business? Strictly because of appearances, or something more?
  2. What does it mean when Dreamhost says .com + .net are "powered by Verisign" while others (like .me) aren't? What exactly is Verisign's role in the selling of .com/.net and are those TLDs exclusive to them, perhaps for a given territory? Is Verisign also "powering" .com + .net over at GoDaddy, or is this more a Dreamhost partnership thing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 05, 2019 Jun 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied