• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I have my code and live view on separate screens? (macOS)

New Here ,
Jan 06, 2022 Jan 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pretty much title. I want to know if I can see my code on one screen and the live webpage preview on another screen on Mac.

TOPICS
Code , How to , Interface , Preview , Publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

depending on your flow, and your organisation, you can still use the "code inspector" window, using F10 shortcut, or by the menu Windows > Code Inspector

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solely within DW itself, not possible as far as I know. But if you have a browser open in your second screen with the testing server you should be able to work in code in DW and see the results in the other screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't truly separate Code View and Design/Live View from their shared window.

However, you can set that shared window to Design or Live (without using Split) then open the Code Inspector window (under Window > Code Inspector or shortcut it with F10) and move it to another monitor without issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you can see on the small screenshot, on the left screen the unlocked live view document hovers over a browser, on the central screen DW itselft and on the right screen the code inspector window hovers over a third program.

Birnou_0-1641485385955.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

although as @Ben M indicates, I also using on the top screens a real time rendering (thanks to Node) on various versions of browsers... and this that the modifications are carried out within the display document (I prefer display view than live view in DW), or from the inspector of code, or Sublime text or any other editors

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My browser is open at all times which is  more reliable for previewing than either Live or Design in Dreamweaver.  Hit F5 to refresh browser.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in fact design view helps a lot to quickly select part of document and directly acces to its code

node watch command automaticaly reload all the browsers connected to the node server as soon a specific action is done... it helps to avoid hitting many times F5 on each browsers, tablets, smartphones connected

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Based on the type of questions we see here, I wonder how many Dreamweaver users know what Node is? 😕

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

at least you know it... it's better than pressing F5 hundreds times a day... don't you think 😉

now if people need tutorial, I , or anyone, can drive them to where it is adapted to their level and needs

if you are ok, let's just try to raise the level and flexibility of work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines