• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't get cell height in table the way way I want it

New Here ,
Jul 28, 2020 Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Dreamweaver (CS5). I have a table within a table. The outer table has no height specified. I use it to define the width overall width of an editable area. The inner table has 1 row and 2 cells. In each cell is a small image (25x25 px) and some text. The default height does not give me what I want so I went into the code and set the height. It works best when I put the height in the <table> description:

<table width="500" height="60" border="0" align="center" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="10" class="default_font">

Here I set the height to "60" and it looks perfect in the design view. But when I display the page using Firefox the height of the cells is large with more space top and bottom of the image/text.

I can increase the "60" to a larger number and it increase in the display. So it looks there is a minimum height but that has way too much empty space.

I've also tried moving the "height="60" to the <tr> line, but then it looks worse in the design view and in the display.

Also, the template that I use to create the web page does not specify any height.

What am I doing wrong? What can I do to reduce the height of the cells?

Thank you in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 29, 2020 Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 29, 2020 Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"Tables are for tablular data and should not be used for layouts. They are a poor choice due to their lack of responsiveness to mobile devices."

There, now that it has been said...

Could you share the entire code of the page (a link would be best)?

There are a lot of oddities to working with tables for layouts. Everything has to be exactly right, or things break very quickly (part of the reason they fell out of favor for layouts years ago). Depending on what you're trying to do, it may be much simpler to use CSS to control your layout, but with more information, and if your heart is set on using outdated layout methods, one of the contributors here should be able to point you in the right direction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines