• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Changing font size and style for the whole page ?

New Here ,
Feb 12, 2019 Feb 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I sometimes receive code for a page that has mixed sizes and styles, apart from using CSS, how do you change the font size and style for the whole page in one go please?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the text formatted with CSS - or with HTML tags and attributes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pllease show us an example of the code you're working with.  Don't reply by e-mail, code won't come through.   Just copy & paste directly into a web forum reply.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find the that using css in DW CC 2019 to be clumsy and I have just spent 30 minutes trying to do something so stupid as just to add a new css to change some text from black to Red I would like to thank Adobe for making me feel even more stupid now.

Something that in the past would take about 1 minute to do now takes 30 minutes. I believe Adobe's new mandate to is to take simple and make it hard. My congratulations in a job well done.

I attached a style sheet to my page and bumbled around the awful interface until I got the CSS as i wanted it

.redprint {

text-align: center;

color: #FA0202;

font-weight: bold;

}

(this took 30 minutes to do because the interface is so awful)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

haleyt88803336  wrote

.redprint {

text-align: center;

color: #FA0202;

font-weight: bold;

}

(this took 30 minutes to do because the interface is so awful)

I don't know what this has to do with the original topic  but take some friendly advice.  Don't use CSS Designer panels.  You're much better off using code view with code hinting and auto code completion.  It's much, much faster and more precise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2019 Feb 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have any examples at the moment, but none of it is coded in CSS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a small example of a 2,000 lined page of code, all with similar coding:

business routines.</font></p>

<p><font style="font-size: 14px;" face="Arial"><strong style=""><font style="font-size: 16px;">Contents</font></strong><br>

<font face="Arial">

1. GDPR – Reminder</font><br>

<font face="Arial">

2. WTW Brexit Clause – MRC</font><br>

<font face="Arial">

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm afraid there's no quick fix for bad code.  Ask which software they're using and tell them you prefer to receive plain, unstyled text from this point forward.  If they can't do it, keep track of your time and charge extra for the cleanup work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may also be able to strip the obsolete HTML style code yourself.

When copying over into DW...

1, Right click and choose the "Paste Special" command

2. Click the radio button for the "Text with Structure" option
3. Leave "Retain Line Breaks" checked
3a. Checking "Convert smart quotes to straight quotes" may or may not be useful
4. Hit "OK"

That should strip out all of the obsolete html styling code and leave you with relatively clean, structural code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 14, 2019 Feb 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Nancy, but I am employed by the sender and they're a bigwig chief exec, so that isn't possible.

Thanks Jon, I'll receive another one today, so will let you know how it goes.  One thing though, it always contains other formatting, such as bold and bullets - can I get it to retain them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not the bold, that's considered a style and is no longer handled by HTML (if you're following W3C standards).

The bullets, paragraph tags, line breaks and other structural code will stay though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies, just realised that I didn't mention it, but the eventual destination for the code is within emails.

Would like the bold to stay if poss.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HTML Email is an entirely different animal.

For email, you're actually much better off using the antiquated html styles, and if you use css, only work with Inline styles, within the actual tags they're modifying.

The reason is almost insultingly simple, email clients (the ones installed on your viewer's computers) just aren't web browsers. They vary, wildly, in what css they're capable of reading and where they can read it from within your document. Some will strip the entire <head> section of a page, including any style information stored there. Others will ignore certain styles, but read the rest from anywhere in the .html document.

Here's a good resource to see what works and where it needs to be in your code. It can help you decide what method you want to use...

CSS Support Guide for Email Clients | Campaign Monitor

Unfortunately, because of those limitations, it's also near impossible to use global styling in an html email, unless you're OK with a fair number of your recipients seeing a completely unstyled, or only partially styled, newsletter. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Not wanting to keep any CSS - just really looking for a quick way to just change the font size and font style for the whole page, in one go.  Anyone know?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could use one, or several, Find & Replace in Document passes.

In the more recent versions of DW, hit CTRL+SHIFT+F then add the current font code to the Find field, with your desired font code in the Replace field.

It might take a couple of passes to get everything (or the use of a Regular Expression in the Find field), depending on how the document is set up, but will likely be the fastest way to do what you want without using css.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Jon, I had a feeling that I might have to go that route in the end.  I was hoping for more of a quicker way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines