Clicking HTML Tags won't allow me to edit tag

New Here ,
Nov 08, 2020 Nov 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I have just installed Dreamweaver and when I clean a HTML tag it does not allow me to edit the tag itself.  All that occurs is the start and end of the tag is highlighted.

If I place mouse before / after the html tag and then arrow cursor into the html tag region, it simply highlights the entire tag same as above.

I have never experienced this before in Dreamweaver.

Is there some preference setting that needs to be changed?

regards Claude 

[Edited by moderator for clarity.]

TOPICS
Code

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 09, 2020 Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What exactly are you looking to edit?  If you click the tag you should see changes in the properties window and css designer.  But if you are clicking in the tag and are not able to edit (grayed out?) then you may be working in a template in a region that is not editable.  In this case you would need to edit the file with the dwt extension to edit that piece of code.  If this is not helping we may need to see a screenshot to help understand what you are trying to edit and what you feel is not working.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what do you want to do, change the name of the tag?

in that case, you're right, the quick tag editor (ctrl T) doesn't work anymore as it used to be. at least here on W10, DW 20.2

I haven't other version to test when it stopped working...

if not... please reformulate your question, as Ben asked

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Claude,

Are you in Design or Live view?

Document ToolbarDocument Toolbar

What you describe is common in Template child pages when the tag is outside an Editable Region. See screenshot.

Template Child PageTemplate Child Page

Also ensure you are working with error free code denoted by a green ✓ in a circle. If not, please validate code and fix reported errors.

Window > Results > Validation > check document.

Nancy O'Shea, Adobe Product User & Community Professional
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines