• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cloak has stopped working

Explorer ,
May 18, 2022 May 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Until about a week ago cloaking was working correctly, but now it is not. I can still cloak files and folders, and they are marked as "cloaked" in the files window. However if I do a find and replace it still searches through all the cloaked files. I have tried resetting preferences but it made no difference. Folders like node modules need to be cloaked or the find and replace takes ages.

TOPICS
Interface , Product issue

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , May 26, 2022 May 26, 2022

So the correct answer seems to be: Find and replace will sometimes respect cloaking and sometimes not with no clear pattern to help us understand why. However, in the documentation, Adobe do not claim that cloaking effects find and replace.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://helpx.adobe.com/in/dreamweaver/using/cloaking-files-folders-dreamweaver-site.html

You can cloak files and folders on the remote or local site. Cloaking excludes cloaked files and folders from the following operations:

• Performing Put, Get, Check In, and Check Out operations

• Generating reports

• Finding newer local and newer remote files

• Performing sitewide operations, such as checking and changing links

• Synchronizing

• Working with Asset panel contents

• Updating templates and libraries

Find & Replace is not mentioned.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, 

Yes I saw that too.  Strange though, I could have sworn it was speeding up my find/replace before. It is a pain when find/replace ploughs through folders it does not need to (like node modules).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 19, 2022 May 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a pain when find/replace ploughs through folders it does not need to (like node modules).

By @julianc31943986

as a workaround, you could try to cloak the vendors, or node modules, (entire folder, not singles files)  then apply a search on the entire website.

but I agree that sometimes either this doesn't work... and depending on web sites, nothing help...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Find & Replace is not mentioned.

By @Nancy OShea

mentioned or not, since I use DW (and since cloaking appeared)... searches are not done on cloaked files and folders

as @julianc31943986  I have often noticed since CC15 (I think), a strong instability of this feature, which sometimes even disappears on some sites... I posted, at the time when one could still post bugs, multiple remarks to... but they was always checked as FOL (Fact of life)... or non-reproducible

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, if you say so.  Sitewide F&R is not something I use much.  I limit it to selected folders or current document which significantly reduces the time it takes.

When things suddenly stop working as expected, try Restoring Preferences.  That cures most problems.

https://helpx.adobe.com/dreamweaver/kb/restore-preferences-dreamweaver.html

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried restoring preferences but it made no difference in this case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 20, 2022 May 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in fact S & R doesn't respect the cloaked folders when, searching in selected files.... it only works when searching in the entire site.

sometimes what I do is I cloak the entire web site, and only uncloak the folders in which I work... which are generally always the same, and few of them... the best exemaple are plugins, or child templates in WP... so that way S & R in the entire cloaked web site doesn't takes much... but it's so pity to have to use such a workaround, when S & R in selected files taking cloaking into account would be such a red carpet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 20, 2022 May 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I set up a new site yesterday, and cloaked some folders. At the moment, on this new site, the cloaked files are being excluded from Find and replace. So that confirms the idea that sometimes cloaking works for f&r, but sometimes it does not. I'm not searching the entire site, just a WordPress theme folder. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 22, 2022 May 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, as Tesla used to say... that's the way it is

(just for fun...let's get back 33 years back... 🙂 )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFgOSoKeGGQ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 26, 2022 May 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So the correct answer seems to be: Find and replace will sometimes respect cloaking and sometimes not with no clear pattern to help us understand why. However, in the documentation, Adobe do not claim that cloaking effects find and replace.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines