Until about a week ago cloaking was working correctly, but now it is not. I can still cloak files and folders, and they are marked as "cloaked" in the files window. However if I do a find and replace it still searches through all the cloaked files. I have tried resetting preferences but it made no difference. Folders like node modules need to be cloaked or the find and replace takes ages.
You can cloak files and folders on the remote or local site. Cloaking excludes cloaked files and folders from the following operations:
Performing Put, Get, Check In, and Check Out operations
Finding newer local and newer remote files
Performing sitewide operations, such as checking and changing links
Working with Asset panel contents
Updating templates and libraries
Find & Replace is not mentioned.
Yes I saw that too. Strange though, I could have sworn it was speeding up my find/replace before. It is a pain when find/replace ploughs through folders it does not need to (like node modules).
It is a pain when find/replace ploughs through folders it does not need to (like node modules).By @julianc31943986
as a workaround, you could try to cloak the vendors, or node modules, (entire folder, not singles files) then apply a search on the entire website.
but I agree that sometimes either this doesn't work... and depending on web sites, nothing help...
By @Nancy OShea
Find & Replace is not mentioned.
mentioned or not, since I use DW (and since cloaking appeared)... searches are not done on cloaked files and folders
as @julianc31943986 I have often noticed since CC15 (I think), a strong instability of this feature, which sometimes even disappears on some sites... I posted, at the time when one could still post bugs, multiple remarks to... but they was always checked as FOL (Fact of life)... or non-reproducible
Ok, if you say so. Sitewide F&R is not something I use much. I limit it to selected folders or current document which significantly reduces the time it takes.
When things suddenly stop working as expected, try Restoring Preferences. That cures most problems.
I tried restoring preferences but it made no difference in this case.
in fact S & R doesn't respect the cloaked folders when, searching in selected files.... it only works when searching in the entire site.
sometimes what I do is I cloak the entire web site, and only uncloak the folders in which I work... which are generally always the same, and few of them... the best exemaple are plugins, or child templates in WP... so that way S & R in the entire cloaked web site doesn't takes much... but it's so pity to have to use such a workaround, when S & R in selected files taking cloaking into account would be such a red carpet
I set up a new site yesterday, and cloaked some folders. At the moment, on this new site, the cloaked files are being excluded from Find and replace. So that confirms the idea that sometimes cloaking works for f&r, but sometimes it does not. I'm not searching the entire site, just a WordPress theme folder.
So the correct answer seems to be: Find and replace will sometimes respect cloaking and sometimes not with no clear pattern to help us understand why. However, in the documentation, Adobe do not claim that cloaking effects find and replace.