• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Create a Dreamweaver 2022 login

Community Beginner ,
Mar 11, 2022 Mar 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been on Adobe and GoDaddy tech support for 2 days, almost solid trying to gets the steps to make my login page work. The site is up: lakecityharmonizers.org, but I can't complete the members login page. Any help ASAP would be really appreciated. Adobe justs sends me links that don't help this simple mind. Thank you, in advance.

In addition, I can't get to my server through Dreamweaver, only through GoDaddy, so I can't test easily or work with the database I think I need for login to work.

[Attached file removed by moderator due to sensitive content.]

TOPICS
Server side applications

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 14, 2022 Mar 14, 2022

As I read it, I can't restrict just one page, so that won't work.

By @Mr Thackston

==========

No, no, no.  Your site will be defined twice in DW.  The public site and the Members only site.

You create a Members folder on your server and password protect it.  Everything inside the Members folder is protected. 

Everything outside Members folder (domain name landing page, contact page, about us, etc...) is publicly accessible. 

Make sense?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1.  Which server-side scripts are you using for your login?  We can't see scripts in browsers for security reasons.

2. Did you install a local testing server on your computer yet?  The popular ones are Wamp, Xampp or Mamp. 

3. Did you define your local testing server in Dreamweaver yet?  For screenshots, see my reply to this discussion from yesterday.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/dreamweaver-discussions/can-any-one-please-tell-me-how-to-set-up-test...

In order for a log-in to work, the scripts must be compatible with your hosting plan and a database is usually required to store usernames and passwords.

I also highly recommend you get SSL/TLS certificates installed on your remote server for better web security.  HTTPS is essential these days.  Otherwise users will see "This site is not secure" warnings like this:

image.png

GoDaddy has various SSL Plans.

https://www.godaddy.com/help/compare-ssl-plans-and-pricing-32059

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I removed your attached file for security reasons. You posted sensitive information in a public user-to-user community.  This is not Adobe technical support.  

In the future, please do not post sensitive information here.  Anybody could see it and exploit it.

Regarding your remote server's S/FTP connection details, I'm pretty sure GoDaddy sent you that in an email.  If it fails to connect to server, try using free FileZilla client.

https://filezilla-project.org/download.php

If Filezilla can't connect to your server, go back to GoDaddy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 12, 2022 Mar 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After several hours of waiting on both Adobe and GoDaddy Chats and sending them several screen shots, one guy took only a few minutes to resolve my connection issues. I have downloaded and installed MAMP and have set up a local test server, but I'm still lost on how to proceed. I have created the login page but need to create a table on my host and somehow connect the form with the table. That's how much I know, enough to be dangerous.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use your local server's phpMyAdmin app to create your MySQL database.  

http://webvaultwiki.com.au/Default.aspx?Page=Create-Mysql-Database-User-Phpmyadmin

After your local database & table is created, open DW and go to File > New > PHP document.  Paste the following code and save as TEST.php

<?php
$con = mysqli_connect("localhost","your_username","your_password","database_name");

// Check connection
if (mysqli_connect_errno())
  {
  echo "Failed to connect to MySQL: " . mysqli_connect_error();
		}
		else echo "Successfully connected, happy coding!"
?> 

<?php phpinfo() ?>

With Mamp server running, test the localhost connection by right-clicking on tab and select Open in Browser.

Your hosting plan's server probably uses phpMyAdmin too.  Let's hope so. Once your local database and tables are created & populated with something you can export data to SQL file.  Then log-in to your remote server's phpMyAdmin panel and import the SQL file.

That's the short version.  Creating a log-in page is only one small slice of a very big pie.  If you've never done this before, hiring a professional would be money well-spent.  You must build a registration system, 2-factor authentication is highly recommended, there must be a way for users to change passwords,  or get new passwords if they ever forget theirs, etc...

https://www.tutorialrepublic.com/php-tutorial/php-mysql-login-system.php

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want cheap & cheesy password protection, (no databases required), create a password protected directory on your server with c-Panel or Plesk panel. Which one will depend on your hosting plan.  I know photographers who use this method.

https://www.godaddy.com/help/password-protect-directories-in-my-linux-hosting-account-16244

https://www.godaddy.com/help/password-protect-directories-in-plesk-hosting-16245

Or this in a PHP file called log-in.php.

Username: admin

Password: pass123

<!doctype html>
<html lang="en">
<head>
<meta charset="utf-8">
<title>Password Protected Content</title>
<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1">
<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=edge">

<!--minimal demo styles-->
<style>
html {font-size:16px}

body {font-family: "Lucida Grande", "Lucida Sans Unicode", "Lucida Sans", "DejaVu Sans", Verdana, "sans-serif";
font-size: 1.5rem;
width:80%;
margin:0 auto;
}
</style>
</head>
<body>

<?php
// Define your username and password here
$username = "admin";
$password = "pass123";

if (isset($_POST['txtUsername']) != $username || $_POST['txtPassword'] != $password) {
?>
<!--LOG-IN FORM-->
<form name="form" method="post" action="<?php echo $_SERVER['PHP_SELF']; ?>">
<fieldset>
<legend>Log-In</legend>

<p><label for="txtUsername">Username:</label>
<br>
<input type="text" title="Enter your Username" name="txtUsername" id="txtUsername" required placeholder="5 characters"></p>

<p><label for="txtPassword">Password:</label>
<br>
<input type="password" title="Enter your password" name="txtPassword" id="txtPassword" required placeholder="7 characters"></p>

<button type="submit" class="btn btn-lg btn-primary">Submit</button>
</fieldset>
</form>

<?php
}
else {
?>

<!--PROTECTED CONTENT-->
<h2>Log-In Success!</h2>
<p>You have reached a password protected area of this page. What would you like to do next?</p>

<!--Links to other pages-->
<ul>
<li> <a href="download.html">Download Files</a></li>
<li><a href="#">Upload Files</a></li>
<li><a href="#">Watch Videos</a></li>
<li><a href="#">Play a Game</a></li>
</ul>
<?php
}
?> 
<!--END PROTECTED CONTENT-->

</body>
</html>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much. Nancy. I would be happy to pay someone to do this part, but because Dreamweaver should not only be capable of doing it, but should also be providing clear instructions on how to do it, it became a challenge I am now prepared to lose. Because this a charitable non-profit, and I'm doing this site gratis, I'll have a difficult time finding someone to do it within their budget. Thanks again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll have a difficult time finding someone to do it within their budget.

By @Mr Thackston

I don't believe that you are untque. Give it a try.

Why can't I open https://lakecityharmonizers.org?

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I added SSL and now neither the http nor the https site will open. I'm assuming it takes a while to change. It takes over 2 hours to get help trying to chat with GoDaddy so I ont call them unless it still doesn't load tomorrow. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 14, 2022 Mar 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ben, The site opens now but you can see the login page is inop. I like Nancy's suggestion to protect the directory but don't want to protect the index page, just the members-only area beyond. As I read it, I can't restrict just one page, so that won't work. Thanks to you both for trying to help me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I read it, I can't restrict just one page, so that won't work.

By @Mr Thackston

==========

No, no, no.  Your site will be defined twice in DW.  The public site and the Members only site.

You create a Members folder on your server and password protect it.  Everything inside the Members folder is protected. 

Everything outside Members folder (domain name landing page, contact page, about us, etc...) is publicly accessible. 

Make sense?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Nancy. I appreciate your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nancy, You're my hero. That simple group login works great! I will still attempt to learn the process to create username/passord, but the pressure's off. I have been a graphic designer for over 40 years, but now am just doing what I can to help non-profits as a volunteer . Thanks again for your help and patience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Great!  Glad it takes the pressure off.  🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 13, 2022 Mar 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...because Dreamweaver should not only be capable of doing it, but should also be providing clear instructions on how to do it...

===========

That's a false assumption.  Dreamweaver is just a code editing tool.  In expert hands, it can help you write code.   But your programming skills will determine the success of your project. 

Udemy and LinkedIn Learning offer in-depth online courses to teach you programming. 

https://www.udemy.com/

https://www.linkedin.com/learning/php-with-mysql-essential-training-1-the-basics

There are also commercial 3rd party extensions by WebAssist and DMX Zone that can add advanced features to Dreamweaver.  I use WebAssist's MySQLi Server Behaviors extension to save time & reduce production costs.

http://www.webassist.com/dreamweaver-extensions

https://www.dmxzone.com/search.asp?searchString=Log-in+system+php&STypeId=3&action=Search

Regardless of whether the org is for-profit or non-profit,  you should be paid.  If they lack sufficient budget for this, then they can't afford it and the project should be postponed until they can.  😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Nancy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines