I have been using cs5 (version 11.0) for years on my MacBook Pro. Today the Design View developed a major problem. Starting about 1/3 of the way down the .html page, the background stops -- or is covered over by a black screen as seen in the image below:
I was not working at this point in the code at the time but rather much farther down the page. I looked at the code at this point (where it begins the screen) and there is no visible code problem. I deleted a few lines of code surrounding this transition and it did not solve the problem. I rebooted the system, which did not get rid of the screen.
Any image files (.png, etc) are not covered by the screen.
When I save the page and open it in a browser, the screen does not appear. Just in the Design View while in Dreamweaver. But this makes developing/editing the page impractical/impossible.
If I am in the wrong Forum, please direct me to the correct one.
Thanks for any ideas or help.
Thank you, Nancy. Here is the progress report:
I did the W3C Validation with the following results:
Yet the style sheets are being called by the .htm file as seen from the background and lines on the images sent yesterday. Here it is again:
And when I open the .htm page with the browser the .css files are providing the background and other things.
Next, I attempted to restore the Dreamweaver Preferences, following the directions. But I could not find a file or folder “Dreamweaver Preference”. Here is the screenshot:
Where can I find it? I am the only User.
This web forum does not support e-mail attachments. If you want to post screenshots, you had best come back to the web forum. Don't use e--mail to reply.
To see the Configuration folder, turn on hidden files and folders in your OS's File Manager .
Thank you Nancy. I did the W3C Validation. The only result was that it said two .css stylesheets were missing. This seemed strange, as in the Design View I could see the stylesheets displayed.
In thinking further about the problem, it seemed to be just with this one .html page. I have sixty-some other pages using the same template. The problem had to be related to this specific .html page. I copied and pasted bits and pieces of the problem page into a new page using the template. Finally, when I got down to about line 650 of a total 720 lines, I discovered the problem. There was a missing </div> callout. I added it back in and the problem in Design View went away.
I have used the W3C Validation process many times before but not for a while. It is surprising to me that it did not identify the missing callout!
Thanks for your help.