Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dreamweaver 2017 code coloring broken

Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2016 Nov 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Unfortunately I just updated Dreamweaver to 2017 and now it's close to impossible to work in this program.

I always use code view and the code coloring was perfect in 2016.

In 2017 however the page cannot use code coloring for pages that contains mixed languages.

That makes it too hard to identify the different code blocks as they are color mixed.

See image:

ASP starts with blue color. Then goes all orange and ends with orange tag.

Next ASP block starts with orange then goes green and starts mixing randomly with write and blue.

This goes on when the code switches to HTML and later JavaScript.

Please tell me this can be fixed. Currently Dreamweaver is useless for me

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Dec 28, 2016 Dec 28, 2016

I found a solution to the comment problem. Look at the bottom-right corner of your DreamWeaver screen. There's a language selector which is set to HTML by default when you open .asp files. Choose VBScript and voila - the comment colors problem is gone.

dreamweaver.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot code anything either. The program is useless to me as well. At least they didnt make everything BLACK and WHITE. I will cancel my subscription if they don't come with a solution in 24 hours.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought that I would do a little test and got the following

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And if you place some HTML right after the include file?

I tried several documents but always with the same broken result.

Now I rolled back to DW 2015.1 where there are no problems at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See post 9 in this thread

Re: Code colouring in dreamweaver 2017

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2016 Nov 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Per

I don't think being able to SET YOUR OWN COLORS will fix this problem.

The problem I am trying to describe is that DW 2017 cannot find out how to colorize code, if one file contains several coding  languages.

I have not tried with HTML and CSS only.

As shown in the image above, it breaks where there are Classic ASP and at least one other language - in this case HTML - on the page.

DW 2017 simply cannot find out what code is being shown, when it ends and when a new language starts.

I don't care what colors are being used. I just want them to be the same within a language.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you have an unclosed single quote (from DW's point of view) on line 7 and 16 causing at least some of your issue.

I could be wrong, I don't code in ASP, so I have no idea if you're supposed to close those or if it's optional, either way, i'd bet DW wants them closed before moving on to the next line..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jon

In Classic ASP, a single quote is used for writing note lines in the code.

I have never seen examples nor the need to end the note line with a single quote.

Currently I cannot test if DW 2017 by error need a note to end with a single quote as I uninstalled DW 2017.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tested it and the coloring definitely seems to want that unnecessary "closing quote".

Per Adobe rep posts I've seen, pretty much all ASP support has been removed from the program. From the look of it, there's really no plan to bring any of it back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2016 Nov 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jon. Also thanks Ben for the first "end quote" example.

With no more Classic ASP support, I guess that means my time with Dreamweaver ends with version 2015.1

It was a great program that I have used non-stop since 1999 (for 17 years).

Now I'm stuck with Visual Studio instead

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2016 Nov 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same trouble : "DW 2017 cannot find out how to colorize code, if one file contains several coding  languages."

Working with TWIG, but HTML or JAVASCRIPT or other in a TWIG file aren't code colored 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In relation to Jons comment, would you mind trying the same code, but WITHOUT the ending single quote?

Just to see if that changes anything? I no longer have DW2017 installed so I cannot test that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just rolled back as well - the code coloring and lack of being able to sort/view the file list by date are usability deal-breakers for me.

I hope Adobe is listening to its users....  I don't get why anyone would remove user-customizable features.  It makes zero sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can sort by date.

Right click the bar next to "Local Files" in your Files window and place a check by "Modified". That will add a clickable header to the files window allowing you to sort by modification date.

Personally, I'm also waiting on CC2017 due to the code coloring, and a few other cosmetic issues. Hopefully the next patch takes care of my issues with the program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried that, and could not get any additional headers to display in order to check them (simply nothing showed up no matter where I right-clicked!)

Bruce -- Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm, It worked fine for me...

headers.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<'ve tried that, and could not get any additional headers to display>

I had no trouble.   Are you right clicking next to Local Files?

Nancy O.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had no trouble.   Are you right clicking next to Local Files?

I thought I had tried that, but I backed off and reverted to the previous version now anyways.  I wasted an entire morning on this stupid update with sync issues, and then loss of critical functionality!

If they decide to restore the lost features, I'll update then....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologize for the frustration. You can provide your feedback to the team directly using Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Thanks,

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, this is a BIG deal. Need a way to get the old code coloring back. Very hard to learn the new code coloring. In the middle of big project. Adobe, please respond!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work with classic ASP and ASP.NET. Also found the new version terrible as I just use code view and it is just broken with these files. Cannot find any code color option and my "old hacks" (editing color.xml and themes folder XMLs) that worked up until version 2015 do not work anymore...

Rolling back until there's a way to get my old Dreamweaver code view colors back. Or at least there's any code coloring working - even with "new" colors.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the new code editor based on Brackets, you have to edit the LESS and JSON files now.  XML doesn't work.  See Reply #9 in this disucssion

Nancy O.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a Brackets theme solution for people on Windows, scroll down to Per Berntsen Nov 3, 2016 8:15 AM (in response to NVGLeo):

But, where are main.less and package.json Brackets style files on the MacOS Sierra operating system?

Thanks,

Dean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you looked under the same path, replacing "C:\Program Files" with "Macintosh HD\Applications"?

All the older versions of DW put things under the same paths, with that slight change, hopefully this one is the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines