• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

dreamweaver cs4 crashes constantly

Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2009 May 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

previously used dreamweaver 8 on this same computer with no major headaches. upgraded to dreamweaver cs4, and I get crashes all the time. no pattern to the crashes.

sometimes, adding a new folder to the site will cause it to crash (but not always).

sometimes trying to navigate the remote site will cause dreamweaver cs4 to crash.

sometimes looking at the screen will cause it to crash.

anyone else having the same sorts of trouble? i might be ready to switch to zend studio.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 129 Replies 129
LEGEND ,
May 03, 2009 May 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What OS are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jun 08, 2009 Jun 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, all the time. In fact, 43 crashes between 21st May - 08th June including 4 this morning.

Always seems to happen when navigating around the file tree when you have a remote site setup.

I've tried this on XP SP3 and Vista SP1 and SP2. Can't find anything about this. Either no one is using CS4 or we have a unique situation going on.

IMO DW is just buggy. The only reason I wanted to upgrade to CS4 was in the hope that the FTP and sync features would actually speed up and be more stable. Just ended up with a worse product than CS3. I'm supposed to be doing some web dev at the moment and I'm just spending my time again searching for solutions to this product. My nan could have written a better application and sadly she is no longer with us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Dreamweaver is behaving in an odd way, it frequently means you have a corrupt personal configuration folder.

Close Dreamweaver, locate the personal configuration folder, and rename it. When you restart Dreamweaver, it should create a new configuration folder with all the program defaults. For details of how to find the configuration folder, see this page in the Dreamweaver FAQ.

You may want to take a look at all the fixed listed in that particular FAQ - and see if any of those may help as well.

--

Nadia

Adobe® Community Expert : Dreamweaver

http://twitter.com/nadiap

--------------------------------------------------

Unique CSS Templates |Tutorials |SEO Articles

http://www.DreamweaverResources.com

http://csstemplates.com.au/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nadia-P

I have already tried removing my configuration folder. I am well versed in doing so as it was necessary to rectify many of the bugs in CS3!

For your information, I've also re-formatted my laptop and installed XP SP2, then re-formatted and installed Vista SP1 then re-formatted and installed Vista SP2. The problem still remains. I have even tried a different laptop. I'm running all up to date service packs, drivers and software. My colleague had the same issue running on a PC. I also uninstalled any AntiVirus software I was running in a last desperate attempt.

Forgive my frustration, but I don't get paid to troubleshoot or beta test Adobe's products and unfortunatley, it's not comercially viable to continue running a software application which crashes 6 times a day. I will no doubt be forced to investigate an alternative product.

I'm up to 44 crashes since 21st May 09 and counting (some of which have occured since my last post this morning)...

Problem signature

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: Dreamweaver.exe

Application Version: 10.0.0.4117

Application Timestamp: 48c874b4

Fault Module Name: StackHash_fd94

Fault Module Version: 6.0.6002.18005

Fault Module Timestamp: 49e03821

Exception Code: c0000374

Exception Offset: 000afaf8

OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3

Locale ID: 2057

Additional Information 1: fd94

Additional Information 2: 39583d81b9b798892b1c0b61cd663568

Additional Information 3: 4af4

Additional Information 4: 2d3e1ffed22c136cf9d938406a9a1277

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jamie,

I can undersand your frustration - I have my own little issue with CS4 which causes me constant headaches, but no-where near the problems that you are having.  Mine relates to locked files, not constant crashing.

Sorry if I pointed you to tech notes that you've tried before, but in most cases the configuration folder is generally the culprit (or the windata file) so that's where we send people in the first instance - it's the only troubleshooting guide we have... after that, it's up to Adobe support.

Have you tried contacting Adobe Support - if you've tried all other options and failed, then that would have to be the next step.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nadia-P

I haven't contacted them as yet, but I will. I expect they'll want to know everything about the machine and the software running on it and at the moment I don't have time to relay all this information to them.

Thanks for your help,

Regards

Jamie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 10, 2009 Jun 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nadia-P

I've been rattling around the Adobe website for the last 10 minutes attempting to open a support case for this issue. When I try to select my product, it isn't listed. There are only 7 products shown, none of which I own or am interested in. This product was purchased by the company I work for, not me. How can I open a support case??

Thanks

Jamie.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jamie,

have you looked here:  http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/contact.html

Dreamweaver is listed in the dropdown, and at the bottom of the page are the various means of contacting support.

That's about the only way I know of contacting them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nadia-P

The Dreamweaver Contact Support page takes me to the usual customer portal area. I get as far as logging in to my account to open a ticket but DW isn't listed as a product in the drop down list. I assume I need to register the serial number on my account or own a support program or something perhaps?

Thanks for your help.

Jamie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2009 Oct 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same here please read my post:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/509284

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2009 Jun 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I was wondering if you were able to solve your problem with Dreamweaver cs4 crashing.  I am a newbie and having the same problem, but without the ability to try different solutions and trobleshoot like you.  I really need to get my project done and am looking for an alternate way of uploading my files.  Any help you can offer would be appreciated.  The problem I have is when I sync my files with the server, Dreamweaver crashes and my whole computer locks up, causing me to have to restart.  I am working on Windows Vista Home version.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 20, 2009 Jun 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems to be somewhat of a lottery as to how and when DW CS4 may crash. As for your issue, you could try playing with the different FTP settings for your site in "Manage Sites" (passive or active FTP), under the server compatibility button there are some other options you could try.

You could also try removing your configuration folder, this seems to be a popular solution for many DW issues. Close DW and remove this directory:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Dreamweaver CS4\<language>\Configuration

...then try again.

Jamie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 03, 2009 Jul 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I am surprised to read that DW crashing is unusual for some of you. My DW installations (on several desktops and PCs) has consistently crashed over the years. I was not surprised (but definitely irratated) that CS4 continues this tradition (and actually crashes more!). It is random, although cutting and pasting is quite a common crash with my CS4 with the telltale freeze, hourglass and then hang or "sorry for the inconvenience. My impression is that there is no one fix or reason for these crashes (I've tried the config folder delete as well as re-installs, you name it), but that it's inherent to the product -- it's simply unreliable and will always crash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

veloasia wrote:

it's inherent to the product -- it's simply unreliable and will always crash.

If constant crashing were inherent to Dreamweaver, it would have crashed as a viable product years ago. The fact that it remains the industry leader after all these years suggests that your experience with crashing is not typical. I use Dreamweaver on a daily basis, and even when testing beta versions of previous releases, the number of crashes I experience during a year can be counted on the fingers of one hand. The only time I suffered a prolonged series of crashes turned out to be the result of a faulty RAM module in my computer.

If you're suffering a lot of crashes, check that your computer meets the minimum requirements, particularly regarding memory. If you have very large sites or complex pages, you will need more memory than the minimum suggested. Also check that something else on the computer isn't hogging huge amounts of memory or processor power.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the sake of balance I also use Dreamweaver on a daily basis and have done for a few years now (CS3 and now CS4). I've also had them on various machines of high spec. CS3 used to crash for me sometimes but it was mainly slow/buggy/unreliable FTP/sync related issues as well as the many issues requiring the deletion of config folders when DW got confused by say, how time operates or files of a certain size.

I hoped for better with CS4 but am disappointed. Same buggy UI and when I have a remote site setup and am browsing the local file tree, it crashes a huge amount.

Clearly the variables are different between how you use DW and how I do, as presumably neither of us are lying.

... and since we are on the subject of buggy UI/FTP since when did it become acceptable to have to wait for DW CS4 to secretly "interact with the server" before I can do anything useful like checkout/in a file. I'm convinced the root of my crashes has to do with what DW is secretly doing in the background with the server since I have no crashes when a remote site hasn't been setup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use it on several machines, including a high-end Dell workstation and DW will crash on all of them. This morning its crashed on my Vaio laptop about a half dozen times already. I beg to differ about it's success being dependent on stability. I like and tolerate Dreamweaver and it would still use it for the ftp functionality alone, I think others also find it the most useful of development applications for the breadth of it's features and community (the exchange is invaluable). Yet here I am pluggin away with Pshop, Skype, IE8, and DW is the only one that crashes which I hoped by CS4 would have gone away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 04, 2009 Jul 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JamieBurchel - "I've tried this on XP SP3 and Vista SP1 and SP2. Can't find anything about this. Either no one is using CS4 or we have a unique situation going on."

If it's unique, then it wouldn't be a bug as CS4 is in widespread use.  Common sense seems to point to something about your computer. People are taking time out to try and help you, and you're just flat out rude. If you've got all the answers, than why are you on here begging for help?  Download zend studio trial and see how quickly you come back to dreamweaver.  Using that app is about as user friendly as notepad.  It's a totally different world and experience designed for hand coders.  Good luck to you, you're on your own.  Hope you fix your computer...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 04, 2009 Jul 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First off let me apologise to anyone who feels my comments are upsetting to them personally. My comments are born from frustration with the product crashing (61 times since 21st May) rather than the users of this forum. However, I feel that suggestions of reinstallation or trying different hardware is not applicable to the users who have already stated that they have tried fresh installations, different machines and operating systems.

As I'm not the only person reporting this mysterious file tree bug on this thread, I am convinced this is a bug with the application. You wouldn't expect Internet Explorer or Office to flat out crash if, say, the network connection was iffy and it stands to reason that you wouldn't expect a standard DW installation to do that either.

I'm hardly begging for help - just replying to the OP stating that yes, there is a problem and I am suffering with it too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 16, 2009 Jun 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you, adobe, for not fixing CS4. i love the crashes. there is a buddhist calm that overwhelms me when dreamweaver stops responding to my clicks and gracelessly crashes. looking forward to CS5, 6, 7, and so on - all of which i'll be sure to read about while using my Zend Studio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

anytime you start getting a lot of crashes, the first place to look is your extensions.  sometimes extensions are not compatible with the version of dreamweaver you're using, or is only partly compatible, and will cause problems.  remove all of your extensions to see if the problem still exists, and then add them back one at a time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jon - thanks, I just tried this and still had an almost immediate crash. I've also disabled most non-critital services and proccesses under XP. I have noticed it tends to crash when I'm using the file manager, opening folders and the like, although not exclusively. Also, when it does hang, my computer slows to crawl until I kill it. On the other hand, DW 8 continues to hum along fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you have both 8 and cs4 installed at the same time, that could be causing a problem.  i also wouldn't advise running both at once, if that's possible, because that would likely cause a problem as well.

if you have any kind of virus software running, turn it off.  sometimes those kind of softwares can cause a lot of issues with programs.

I guess last ditch effort would be to remove both 8 and cs4 completely from your computer, reboot, defrag, and reinstall cs4 only with no extensions installed. 

If you're still having a problem, then you could have some much larger issues going on, like a hard drive going bad or a corrupt operating system. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes and you could try purchasing 50 other machines to try it on. If that doesn't work, why not pull out the fuses in your consumer unit, check for faulty power lines in the street, or maybe, just maybe, there is A BUG WITH DREAMWEAVER

Forgive my flippancy here but it seems everyone is quick to point at alternative issues. At the risk of repeating myself, I've installed DW CS4 on a fresh install of Vista and XP with all the latest fixes and patches. The issue has happened on my new laptop, my old laptop and a PC in the office. Coming from an IT support background I feel confident this means it's not hardware related. I don't run any add-ons to DW, just standard installation as it comes. Could possibly be related to my sites configuration or running processes.

Dreamweaver crashes for me when I'm browsing the file manager only if I have a remote site setup. It seems to crash more if the files are out of sync and hardly at all if I have just "got" all the files from the server. My guess is that it crashes while it is connecting with the server to do it's magical and secret "interactions" that I have to wait for every time I try to do something useful.

Given the previous bugs with DW, is it really so hard to believe that this is another one?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JamieBurchell

CS4 has been out a long time now.  If there was a bug that caused dreamweaver to crash constantly, everyone would have heard about it and the forums would be filled with threads, and it also would have already been addressed. The advice given is good advice.  A reinstall can fix many problems, and things like anti-virus software can cause many issues with applications like dreamweaver.  These are common fixes that have been around on these forums for many years and have fixed many problems.

As for crashes while working on files in remote locations... that can happen.  Dreamweaver is designed to work in a local environment, where the interaction with the remote environment via ftp is to just upload files.  Can you work on remote files, yes, but performance decreases are a given, and you will invoke crashes if you push your luck or connect to servers with poor connections.  This issue really doesn't have anything to do with the original posters issue in my opinion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines