• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

dreamweaver cs4 crashes constantly

Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2009 May 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

previously used dreamweaver 8 on this same computer with no major headaches. upgraded to dreamweaver cs4, and I get crashes all the time. no pattern to the crashes.

sometimes, adding a new folder to the site will cause it to crash (but not always).

sometimes trying to navigate the remote site will cause dreamweaver cs4 to crash.

sometimes looking at the screen will cause it to crash.

anyone else having the same sorts of trouble? i might be ready to switch to zend studio.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 129 Replies 129
New Here ,
May 25, 2010 May 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your brilliant sugestion. After experiencing the same crashing and moving to netbeans I'm quite happy to develop in a sound enviroment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2009 Sep 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jamie and others,

I've just discovered this thread after experiencing the file treecrashing problem with DW CS4 in the last few days. I never really started to notice it until recently beginning a big site redevelopment requiring many check out/opening/saving/check in operations daily. Probably had 20+ crashes yesterday alone. Running XP SP2 on a Lenovo Thinkpad W500. I've done the whole reinstall, delete the config file, etc. runaround with no improvement.

Jamie, did you find any resolution from Adobe on your request for support? Any further suggestions welcomed!

Joan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Joan, sounds like you and I are having very similar problems. Mine started when I enabled my site to use Contribute which requires the check in/out function to be activated. I still don't have a solution. I just save a lot.

Kim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kim,

I'm not running Contribute, so that doesn't seem to be contributing (ha ha) to my problem.

This may sound crazy/silly, but today I am having luck with the following procedure. When I want to access a particular file in a particular directory in the file tree, I click once on the name of the directory in the file tree view, essentially activating that directory. Then I click on the little "+" button to open the directory view. If the directory is already displayed as open, I still click on the name of the directory first, taking me into that space, before double clicking on a file to open it. So far today, with modifying ~20 files, I have not yet had a crash. Does that explanation make sense?

And yes, saving often.

Joan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm going to try that starting right now. Thanks for the tip!

Kim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Joan and others

Funily enough, I checked the support ticket I have open for this issue with Adobe yesterday and have prompted them for a response. The ball is in their court at the moment. I have provided all the necessary debug and dump files they have requested.

I'm still getting many crashes each day. I'm getting quick at re-opening the application though and my Ctrl+Save is almost subconscious now !

I will definately keep you posted as soon as I have anything to post

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for staying on top of this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 04, 2009 Oct 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Dreamweaver CS4. I previously had CS3. I have a MAC G5, OS 10.5.

My Dreamweaver crashes all the time. In fact, it crashes almost everytime I use it. And no, it's not the computer. This is a new screaming fast machine, for one. Secondly, I just upgraded to CS4, and it crashes the same way, so it's not a corrupt configuration file.

I work on remote servers, and I edit directly on the server, which means I'm using dreamweaver's ftp site connections. When the ftp site times out, and you try and click on a file, or save a file after the site has timed out, Dreamweaver will hang. If you try and close Dreamweaver, it will continue to poll the remove site and then goes into hang mode and you have to force close it. I can't think of a single time Dreamweaver closed correctly. It ALWAYS crashes every time I use it. And it's the ftp thing. It can't deal with ftp well. I was hoping CS4 would fix it, but it's the same as CS3. And looking at all the comments here, I'm not the only one, and it's not the computer. Dreamweaver is the only program that hangs on my MAC, and it does it without fail, every single time I work on a remote site. It's inevitable that I'll work on something else, and forget it for a half hour. Once that site has timed out, it's force close or nothing. When I am working on a site I have to remember to save about every five minutes to keep the connection alive so it won't crash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 09, 2009 Oct 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work on remote servers, and I edit directly on the server, which means I'm using dreamweaver's ftp site connections.

If I understand everything I have been told, you should not be editing files directly on the server. You should have a local site, where you build and edit your files. When they are finished, then you upload to the server. The two must stay in sync.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I develop locally and upload to update as you suggest and I have constant FTP issues working locally or remotely. Even with the same FTP settings, FileZilla will work fine during Dreamweaver's thick moments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jamie, my comments were directed towards bellevuefineart. Working on files solely on a server, it seems to me, would cause a lot of problems, for the reasons he mentioned (timeouts). I can see where that would crash DW.

You have other issues going on. I can certainly sympathize...I have my own share of issues trying to build a website in DW CS4...I don't have a lot of crashes, but many other problems, like DW generating wrong code.

I hope you hear from Adobe and get your problems solved. It is very frustrating, I agree.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thats just plain nonsense. editing directly on the server should not cause these issues. and dreamweaver shouldnt overwrite files incorrectly on its own, and it shouldnt crash all the time. its just plain nonsense and aterrible coding platform. i feel completely ripped off by adobe. furthermore they bought homesite and poorly integrated it with dreamweaver. its truely apile of crap and unusable in its current form. lastly, it doesnt matter if you have a local copy or not, inither event it crashes constantly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 10, 2009 Oct 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just went through and read this whole thread. The other day when I saw this I was trying to read it on an iPhone.

First, I think it's silly that the area experts are dismissing peoples experiences like this, saying that if there were crashes it would have never been released. There are crashes for many of us, and I am seeing the same crashes in CS3 and CS4, as well as some of the same bugs. Including what Webzine has mentioned here of Dreamweaver updating code incorrectly - I've also seen this many times with inconsistent cache files.

The majority of the crashes I see are related to the ftp engine. If your ftp times out, Dreamweaver can't seem to recover. It won't attempt to login again, it just sits there and hangs. (and for the record, other ftp programs work on the same machine).

If you try and close Dreamweaver, and your ftp connection has timed out, in my experience it will crash and you can't hit the cancel button and go back. It will hang.

Before I close Dreamweaver, I select the site I'm working on in the files window. In "show", select the site. You should get the "configure site" dialogue box. Select OK. It will login and update the cache. Now you can logout.

If you're trying to save a file and it sits and waits and waits, hit cancel. in the files window, where it says  "show", select the site. You should get the "configure site" dialogue box. Select OK. It will login and update the cache. Now you can save your file without crashing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2009 Oct 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had the same very frustrating problems... and I think I've tracked it down simply to Dreamweaver interacting with the FTP server.  Here's a workaround that's been working pretty well for me:

Immediately (and I mean very quickly) after I do anything to interact with the server (Check-in, Check-out, Get, Put, etc.), I disconnect from the server.  Every since I've been doing this, I've had no crashes.  If I need to do more than one operation on the server (like maybe a Get immediately followed by a Put on another file), I will disconnect between operations.

Though it's really quite annoying to have to do this (and it does take a little extra time to keep reconnecting to the server), it does seem to save me some time and reduces my headaches.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 14, 2009 Oct 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly! It's the ftp that's flakey. I've been doing the same thing. Since I wrote my first post here some people said that I should never be working on a remote server and that was the cause. So I took a couple of my sites and did the local copy thing and it still crashes. So like you, now I disconnect often, and I never leave my computer with DW running. It'll time out. If I'm leaving my workstation I quit dreamweaver first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2009 Oct 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been having the same issue here too, since day 1 on DW CS4 (in addition to numerous other issues with the program) and on both my G5 and Mac Pro, both very fast otherwise.

My workaround when I receive the "interacting with a server"  message is to hit "ok" and repeat the exact same command I hit that gave me the error in the first place. For example, if I was trying to "put" and then got the error, I just hit ok and click "put" again, and it works.

For me, this exact issue has been exclusive to Dreamweaver CS4. When I received this error message in Dreamweaver CS3 and before, it was because Dreamweaver WAS interacting with the server and I jumped the gun, trying to add another file to the server before the first upload was completed -- when I get the error now, I know that the interaction with the server is already finished, maybe for quite some time.

Furthermore, I work with other individuals in different cities, on different networks, with different machines/platforms, different servers, etc.. They are having the exact same issue that I am having, ever since updating to Dreamweaver CS4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 16, 2009 Oct 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DW CS4 definately does some sort of background interaction with the server. If you look closely at your file tree, you'll see it updating the checkout status of files, remove .LCK files (if you have hidden files enabled), plus whatever else DW does. Unfortunately, during this time you can't do anything useful like checkout a file, get a file, put a file, close the application, sync, change sites. Also unfortunately, if your connection to the server is slow this can be extremely frustrating. Not quite as frustrating as the application actually crashing every five minutes though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2009 Oct 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also been experiencing these crashes, not nearly as many as you Jamie, but having read your comments I agree DW4 does seem to crash when it is covertly interacting with the remote server and when I am navigating the local tree.

Have you had any response from Adobe?

Alistair

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Alistair

No response from Adobe still

Perhaps the software engineers read this post and got upset about my/our comments against the software!

I was checking through some server FTP logs today and saw DW creates mysterious "DWDDXX[number].DDD" files every so often while it's communicating with the server. No doubt another part of the mysterious puzzle as to the workings (or not workings) of DW.

As soon as I can work out how to setup SVN repositories and use them effectively in our environment I will be leaving DW like a shot.

Until then I'm trying to beat my high-score as to how quickly I can re-open DW and hunt down the file I was working on before it crashed. I'm up to 3.7 seconds so far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried Abode's online support several times, but never got answers. I had one incident (a refund for a double payment) that took four months to resolve. Adobe never once responded to the web ticket. Every week or so I'd call again, but never did they reply to the web ticket I opened. Worst support in the world. Even worse than Microsoft. I really hope that Adobe personnel are reading this. We have some very serious issues with this software and are getting no help, no answers, no love from Adobe. Seriously, months can go by without any response on the help tickets. All the phone calls I made I ended up on the phone with Adobe in India - and it was terrible - dropped calls, dropped call transfers, call back and start all over again, and then they would still never update the ticket online and never ever helped with anything.

I'm looking for alternatives to Dreamweaver because this is just not sustainable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I share and fully understand your frustration. For me, I don't have the time or skills to configure all our customer sites to use an SVN check-in/out system nor do I have hours to familarise myself with a new IDE. I've stuck with DW for its simple proprietory check-in/out system and I had hoped Adobe would release updates to improve stability.

To my knowledge, there hasn't been any updates of any kind for DW CS4 since it was released. The sign of either a highly robust product with no bugs, or a product which has no support. I'd bet a lot of money it's the later.

I can't comment about Microsoft, but it seems the bigger the company, the less effective they are. BT (British Telecom to our non-UK friends) would be my number one example, closely followed by Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tomorrow morning I'm going to try calling Adobe for either a resolution or a refund. This would at least be a small compensation for the hours of wasted business time.

This whole thing winds me up.

They are taking the p***.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2009 Oct 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is extremely frustrating that dreamweaver is so unstable. I have been using it for donkeys years and it's always been the most unstable application I use, but it is still the best for web dev!

After months of running fine I started up my machine today and any php tags I clicked on in design view immediately crashed it, despite numerous restarts. Luckily being a DW regular I know that this is quite common and have experienced similar before. So i delete the SiteCache folder in C:\Documents and Settings\matt\Application Data\Adobe\Dreamweaver 9\Configuration and tried again. No go. This time I also had to delete the file WinFileCache-AD76BB20.dat. Now all back up and running.

Considering the premium we pay for Adobe products (particulaly in the UK as we pay double what everyone else pays to 'translate' it to proper english!!), I would have expected better. If I delivered web apps as unstable as DW to my clients I would soon be out of business!

Come on Adobe... either fix it, or lower your prices to a level that reflects the quality of your code. Or how about you add an option to the preferences to clear the cache on each open/close of the program.... a hack, but it would stop your software being so buggy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually had this as my start-up screen in CS3.

nightmare_knitter.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love that logo!!  I'm a knitter and when I saw it I thought it was a haywire post from one of the knitting forums I belong to.

I had a good week but Friday it crashed about 5 times.  So annoying.  I've been trying to remember to slow down when I'm moving through the directory tree because it only seems to crash when I get to flying around opening and closing folders and files.

Here's an interesting thing I've noticed the last couple of day.  I've been working on our intranet which I access through the network so no ftp invovled.  This site is enabled for Contribute so I have to check files in and out.  Sometimes when I save a file it acts like it's going to crash.  The Windows bar appears at the top of the screen the way it does when it's crashing but the file continues to save.  Once it finishes the Windows bar disappears and it's business as usual.

When that happens while I'm working on our internet (accessed by ftp) and that bar appears, I'm done.  I've crashed and there's no going back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines