• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dreamweaver CS5.5 does not retain ftp credentials on restart

New Here ,
Jun 04, 2022 Jun 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reinstalled my Mac os and Adobe applications, everything worked in the past and continues to work now.  However I am  unable provide working ftp credentials.  The credentials, user name and password, work with the native Mac FTP client.  Entering the same credentials does not work, resulting in "An FTP error occurred - cannot make connection to host.  Dreamweaver cannot connect to host...:

Curiously I am able to restore the credentials using an old .ste file and the ftp function works for the current session.  However upon starting Dreamweaver the next day, the credentials do not work and I am unable to enter them manually.  I tried deleting the plist but not sure I found the right one.  I tried comparing the site parameters with the restored .ste parameters and found no difference, and yet it still does not work.  I reinstalled the old version of Java.  I asked my wife to take a look and she found no differences.  I am sure it is obvious but I am unable to find the problem.

Please do not tell me to upgrade to the Adobe cloud products.  Yes, my software is old but other than the ftp problem, it all still works and better still, it does not cost anything.  Please do not tell me to use a separate ftp application as it will not work as seamlessly as the ftp functionality included in Dreamweaver.

Thank you for any suggestions you might offer,

Michael

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try Restoring Preferences.  Turn on hidden files/folders in Mac Finder. Scroll down the page for Creative Suite instructions.

https://helpx.adobe.com/dreamweaver/kb/restore-preferences-dreamweaver.html

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nancy,

Thank you for the suggestion.  Unfortunately I am using CS5.5 as note above.  I think I got all the preferences but there may be one I missed.  I did go to the library and marked the current plist items as old.  I am not sure I got all of them but I did get the obvious ones.  Is there a definitive list, especially one that contains the ftp credentials?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have a Mac. But as far as I know, there is only one Preferences folder & file.

If your Mac can't retain Preference settings, you may have a permissions problem at the OS level. Consult Apple support documentation.

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/change-permissions-for-files-folders-or-disks-mchlp1203/mac

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Mac systems the passwords are stored in the keychain. If you are having issues you can try this KB article and see if that helps: https://helpx.adobe.com/dreamweaver/kb/ftp-credentials-remembered-dreamweaver-mac.html

But I'm curious about this native FTP client. Mac has a terminal are you using FTP through the terminal? Also what host are you trying to connect with? There are many people who have issues with specific hosts (ie: godaddy) which could lead this to being a host related issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2022 Jun 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ben M,  Thank you for the pointer to the passwords.  My comment about the Mac client might have been missleading.  Using the connect to server, you can have read only access.  It is nice because it looks like the normal finder windows.  Unfortunatley it does not allow writes.  As you noted, the terminal is the only other method that works for both read and write.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2022 Jun 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ben,

Partial success!  I was able to connect via the Dreamweaver FTP function one time and then export the credentials into an .ste file.  Unfortunately the credentials did not work when I started the next session of Dreamweaver.  Upon the import of the .ste, it did work for the rest of the new session.  Please consider this "fixed" sufficiently for me to work.

For anyone encountering the same issue, there are incosistent and strange things going on.  Sometimes the credentials are saved on the KeyChain and sometimes not.  The name used on the key chain is sometimes <unknown> and sometimes FTP something.  The fact that the .ste works but requires a new name is also concerning.  I was unable to see any consistency and to find the root cause.

I forgot to answer the host question: it is my wife's server, hosted by a competent provider.  We have sufficient control to avoid many of the commercial problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines