• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dreamweaver Design View not displaying

Contributor ,
Feb 20, 2020 Feb 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A few days ago, DW Design View was displaying a working web site for a local site I'm working on. I've managed to make some changes that prevent that from happening now. My site is also running a Coldfusion server, which was also functional and now is not.

While it's not displaying in Dreamweaver, my site displays both HTML and CFML properly on localhost—a fully functional site. So, I'm guessing I have a setting or folder issue. 

Any help would be appreciated. Glad to supply all the details you want. I did that earlier but didn't save my post and lost the text. 

Thanks!

John

TOPICS
Other

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 21, 2020 Feb 21, 2020

We only know what you tell us.  So far, you haven't said much about the changes  you made to your site. 

Try  Restore Preferences.

https://helpx.adobe.com/dreamweaver/kb/restore-preferences-dreamweaver.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Feb 21, 2020 Feb 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless you are referring to changes made to Dreamweaver, I have a suspicion that there are coding errors that are causing the problem.

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Run the code from your output pages through the validator at http://validator.w3.org/nu you'll then need to take a look at the files used to create your pages and repair any errors found. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My problem is not with coding within files. Thanks for the response, but it represents a bunny trail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"A few days ago, DW Design View was displaying a working web site for a local site I'm working on. I've managed to make some changes that prevent that from happening now. "

Then you need to back out of whatever changes you made to find the source of the problem.  Code / syntax errors are a likely possibility.   Do you keep backup files that you can revert to?

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To say it, once again, but in a different way, I didn't make any code changes within any html or cfm files that would produce this outcome. This is related to the operation of coldfusion server and Dreamweaver's creation of sites that sit atop servers, such as Coldfusion or Apache. I don't take snapshots of the current state of software.

Sorry to sound snippy, but responders are snatching for the low-hanging fruit, and I've previously stated that the issue is not with HTML or CFML. I can create an entirely new DW site and populate it with a pristine HTML page with "Hello World," and I have the problem I'm asking for assistance with. 

A good idea is to understand the problem first, then offer solutions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We only know what you tell us.  So far, you haven't said much about the changes  you made to your site. 

Try  Restore Preferences.

https://helpx.adobe.com/dreamweaver/kb/restore-preferences-dreamweaver.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The following two screenshots display two views of the same file, one with server properly running script, the other, not running it properly.

Dreamweaver:
Note that CF code is not executing. The Design View (white, upper portion) should be showing properly executed code served by CF Server. The entire code for the file is displayed in the lower portion of the screen.

dw on 8504.jpg

The same file running on localhost port 8504 under Coldfusion server:

Note Coldfusion code IS executing.

localhost:

CF on 8504.jpg

Same file in both instances shown above. The issue, as I understand it, is that my Dreamweaver application is not interpreting the server it's sitting on top of. 

A week or so ago, Dreamweaver was properly displaying pages such as this. That is, it was properly connected to the Coldfusion server and displaying properly-executed code. The reason I've reached out is that, obviously, I made some changes that have produced this result. But it has ZERO to do with any HTML or CFML. It has to do with Dreamweaver settings. My hope was to find someone with experience in this area that could make competent suggestions for how to connect the two apps properly. 

Thank you for offering assistance and my apologies for misstating the issue to start with.

If I knew the changes I made within Dreamweaver or CF Server, I could fix it without assistance. I cannot trace my steps backward.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To view dynamic content in DW, switch from Design to Live view on the Document Toolbar.   See screenshot.

Document ToolbarDocument Toolbar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Nancy. Your earlier advice to reset my preferences did the trick. Up and running!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Glad to hear it.  Thanks for the feedback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines