Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dreamweaver is very slow

New Here ,
Nov 30, 2018 Nov 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I use Dreamweaver for more than 18 years. But now it is very, very slow reacting when you just want to select some text and go to the properites tab to change a link, format, ... I just want the old dreamweaver back.

Sabine

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 30, 2018 Nov 30, 2018

Hi,

Its been a problem for many people since CC 2017 when Brackets replaced the old Dreamweaver code editor. I use a different editor now for a lot of my work, I can't use Dreamweaver on a day to basis as it becomes unusable at times and I end up spending more time trying to work out what is causing it to slow or hang.

This is a list of some things we've documented that may help (we are on Windows 10), no guranatees they will help or you probably won;t want to disable some of the featurs siuggeste

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

welcome on board...

many bugs was posted, many attempt to correct it... once DW become slow... it then become unusable...

personnaly I went back to DW CS6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Its been a problem for many people since CC 2017 when Brackets replaced the old Dreamweaver code editor. I use a different editor now for a lot of my work, I can't use Dreamweaver on a day to basis as it becomes unusable at times and I end up spending more time trying to work out what is causing it to slow or hang.

This is a list of some things we've documented that may help (we are on Windows 10), no guranatees they will help or you probably won;t want to disable some of the featurs siuggested, the dreamweaver hanging issues have been that bad at times we took the time in the office to document some of the things we tried ...... apologoes for the caps :

// DREAMWEAVER PERFOMANCE ISSUES AND CRASHES

1) TURN OFF WINDOWS INDEXING COMPLETELY OR AT LEAST DISABLE INDEXING OF ANY DREAMWEAVER FOLDERS (HINT:WINDOWS USUALLY INDEXES THE 'USERS' FOLDER BY DEFAULT) **WINDOWS INDEXING CAN CAUSE A LOT OF PERFOMANCE ISSUES WITH DREAMWEAVER**

2) ANTI-VIRUS EXCEPTIONS:

**ADD EXCEPTIONS IN YOUR ANTI-VIRUS FOR THESE IF YOU HAVE A LOCAL TESTING SERVER SET UP**

- http://localhost*

- http://127.0.0.1*

- C:\Path\To\Webroot*

- C:\Path\To\PHP*

- C\Path\To\Apache*

- C:Path\To\MYSQL*

**ALSO ADD THESE EXCEPTIONS IN ANTI-VIRUS**

- C:\Path\To\Working\Directory*

- C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Dreamweaver CC 2019*

- C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Dreamweaver CC 2019*

** IF YOU HAVE A THIRD PARTY FIREWALL INSTALLED YOU MAY ALSO WANT TO REPEAT THE ABOVE EXCEPTIONS**

3) TRY DELETING THE DREAMWEAVER WinFileCache PATH LIKE C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Dreamweaver CC 2019\en_US\Configuration AND RESTART DREAMWEAVER AFTERWARDS

4) TRY RESETTING THE DREMWEAVER WORKSPACE

5) IN DREAMWEAVER SITE DEFINITIONS:

- SERVERS > ADVANCED > MAINTAIN SYNCHRONISATION INFORMATION (DISABLE)

- ADVANCED SETTINGS > LOCAL INFO > ENABLE CACHE (DISABLE)

- CSS PREPROCESSORS > GENERAL > ENABLE AUTOCOMPILATION (DISABLE)

6) DREAMWEAVER PREFERENCES (IF THESE ARE NOT ESSENTOIAL TO YOUR WORKFLOW)

- GENERAL > ENABLE RELATED FILES (DISABLE)

- IN-APP UPDATES (TURN OFF)

- INVISIBLE ELEMENTS (DISABLE ALL)

- LINTING (DISABLE)

- REAL-TIME PREVIEW (DEFAULT TO STATIC BROWSER PREVIEW)

- SYNC SETTINGS > DISABLE AUTOMATIC SYNC

7) IF YOU HAVE A LOCAL TESTING SERVER SET UP - TRY SOME OR ALL OF THE FOLLOWING (GUIDE FOR APACHE/PHP/MYSQL ON WINDOWS):

**APACHE SETTINGS**

- TRY CHANGING APACHE'S LISTENiNG PORT IN CASE OF CONFLICTS WITH APPS LIKE SKYPE, EXAMPLE: in httpd.conf change 'Listen 127.0.0.1:80' to 'Listen 127.0.0.1:8080'

**PHP SETTINGS**

- IN php.ini FIND 'realpath_cache_size' . Remove the semi-colon at the beginning of the line and change it to 16M instead of the default 16k

- IN php.ini INCREASE memory_limit to 10-15% OF TOTAL RAM. EXAMPLE: 'memory_limit = 2G

**NOTE ON 32BIT VERSIONOVER OVER 2G CAN BE PROBLEMATIC

- DISABLING XDEBUG CAN IMPROVE PERFOMANCE SIGNIFICANTLY BUT DISABLING IT IS FAR FROM IDEAL ON A DEVLOPMENT/TESTING ENVIROMENT - EASYPHP IS A HANDY WINDOWS INSTALLER FO SETTING UP A LOCAL TESTING ENVIROMENT WHICH INCLUDES AN XDEBUG MODULE FOR QUICKLY ENBALING/DISABLING XDEBUG AS REQUIRED.

**MYSQL**

- USE 127.0.0.1 INSTEAD OF localhost IN ANY CONNECTION SCRIPTS IN YOUR PHP APPLICATIONS

8) REMOVE SOME ADOBE COMPONENTS

- USE THE ADOBE CLEANUP TOOLS TO REMOVE SOME ADOBE PROCESSES AND COMPONENTS THAT ARE NOT ESSENTIAL ON A DAY TO DAY BASIS

Paul-M - Community Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Energize for all these recommendations......

it's amazing how much we have to do just to expect Dreamweaver work as it should....

do not see in my remarks any denigration of your answer, which is surprisingly well informed

but I will have two questions,

• why Netbean, Ultra Edit, which are also IDEs themselves work correctly without any specific adaptation... and why Dreamweaver not.....
  • and alternatively why Dreamweaver CS6 works brilliantly and no longer at all Dreamweaver CC

is this due to the 64-bit switchover, or to the new interface that has made a lot of changes... or to the use of CFE that can be greedy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/B+i+r+n+o+u  wrote

but I will have two questions,

• why Netbean, Ultra Edit, which are also IDEs themselves work correctly without any specific adaptation... and why Dreamweaver not.....
  • and alternatively why Dreamweaver CS6 works brilliantly and no longer at all Dreamweaver CC

is this due to the 64-bit switchover, or to the new interface that has made a lot of changes... or to the use of CFE that can be greedy

Netbean like VS Pro and many other code editors, are not trying to make things easier for none coders, because coders are their main priority. The difference between CS6 and CC now, is that CS6 was built on one code base unlike Dw which is now composed of many contributors code base.

You cannot expect a code base based on different contributors individual requirements to work as effectively and bug free as a code base built by one set of coders over the years.

Git, pre/post-processors, editable live view, bootstrap, linting, emmet and all the other 3rd part inclusions in Dw also slow it down, or simply put, Dw should not try to do everything or to satisfy every type of user. Without a clear direction it has become a bits and pieces of lots, but nothing complete.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't think that the answers somewhere around where you said...

many application WYSIWYG works like a charm in a way of stability and performance... not perfectly but enought good to be used

many application using third part plugin and extension work as good as there wasn't any things added...

I think that there is a bad architecture in DW, memory leaks, and too many back and forth with cloud for nothing and everything... plus the CEF must be over dumped in usage... making the over all unusuable as soon as we ask something more than the limit

my 2 cents

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Creative Cloud Cleanup Tool:

Use the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to solve installation problems

Paul-M - Community Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines