• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dreamweaver keeps losing track of my external stylesheet in the same directory & trying to load it s

Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2022 Jun 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using Dreamweaver for some time but in the site I'm now working on, whenever I click on the extrnal stylesheet Dreamweaver loads it in Split Screen & loses it. It gives a notice saying it's not on the Remote Sever. What is going on?

TOPICS
Interface

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 20, 2022 Jun 20, 2022

I don't know in which sense you mean the word, in the same place, as far as I can see, your PHP document is in a doc folder, and your CSS style in the root of the site... so the path should look like ../style.css ... is that right?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forgot to say that my site is all setup in Dreaweaver so knows exactly where everything should be, folders etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know in which sense you mean the word, in the same place, as far as I can see, your PHP document is in a doc folder, and your CSS style in the root of the site... so the path should look like ../style.css ... is that right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh my goodness, you're right. I never saw that. How stupid of me! The index file is in the root directory (of course) & refers to the CSS in the same place. I created all the other pages using the same hed, before deciding to move them all into a seperate folder. Ignoramus. I will now update the headers in all the other pages to refer to the CSS on the site root.

Apologies for being so stupid.

Don't suppose you know why Dreanweaver tries to open lost CSS sheets in Split View??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To parse PHP files locally, you need a local testing server.

Did you define it in Dreamweaver's Site Manager?

Is your local testing server running?

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 21, 2022 Jun 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't suppose you know why Dreanweaver tries to open lost CSS sheets in Split View??

By @daves80279122

I'm glad this helped and provided you a solution!

The fact that DW opens a document in split view or simply in code view has no real interaction with your problem.
Rather, it is a preference of DW to remember your last display choice.

However, as @Nancy OShea , points out, because your pages use PHP, it is important that you set up a testing server, especially if you want to use the real-time rendering features.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 04, 2022 Aug 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for your help. By the way, I always setup a testing server, although it's an identical copy of the actual server. I presume that's OK to do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines