• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

DREAMWEAVER MX 2004 GLITCH

New Here ,
Dec 27, 2021 Dec 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using Dreamweaver MX 2004 in Windows 10 for many years with no problems. Yes there is newer better software available but I don't have the time to learn how to use it and prefer to stick with what I know. I have a couple of websites that are very basic and MX 2004 enables me to keep them updated myself without outsourcing to designers. I currently have two websites installed on the software which I will call Site A and Site B. Site A is working fine as usual - update, put, synchronise etc. Site B has recently developed a fault that causes the program to crash whenever I try to connect to the remote server to view files, put or synchronise. Tis happened after I made some edits to the root file index.html and mucked up the code. I did not make any changes to any other file in the site.
Here is the error message I receive when trying to connect to remote server:

While executing receiveArguments in Site_File.htm, the following JavaScript error(s) occurred:

At line 30 of ‘c:\ProgramFiles(x86)\Macromedia\Dreamweaver MX \\Configuration\Menus\MM\Site_File.js’:
Exception thrown in native function.

Is there a simple code fix for this or do i need to look at using another program to download my remote files (which are not corrupted) and copy them into a fresh local site definition in Dreamweaver?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 29, 2021 Dec 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well, without having code to watch it's complex to say what could be wrong on site B...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2021 Dec 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HTML Validator "found" plenty of code syntax errors like missing brocket closures but when I checked the brackets did not seem to be missing at all. 
Am happy to post the index.html code in a private message or something if that would help. I have not even touched any of the other files in the site recently so I don't see how any other file can be at fault than index.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 30, 2021 Dec 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried backing up your sites and re-installing Dreamweaver yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes have tried by DW won't reinstall, keeps giving a missing file error message

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"An installation support file could not be installed".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which file cannot be found?  The root of your issue may not be something in DW at all but a core system file from your OS may be corrupted or damaged causing this behavior.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well just post the HTML file somwhere in the web, and get back with the URL, that should be fine 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THE SITE URL is www.em.com.pg/index.html - this is the old (current) root file.
If you navigate to www.em.com.pg/indexNEW.html this is the new root file that seems to be corrupted - I uploaded it with FileZilla because Dreamweaver MX will not connect to the remote site and upload it.

As far as I know indexNEW.html should appear identical to the current root file except for some changes that I made to the introductory texts and the meta and header tags. I didn't touch anything else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the only two notable differences that I see (at first diagonal reading) are :

- you don't use the same doctype between the two documents, transitional for the old and loose for the new...
- your encoding is different utf-8 for the old one and 8859 for the new one

be careful if to test the new one you change the encoding on the text of the document, you have to change of course the HTML code but also encode the document like this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i think that difference is due to copying header code from my other website root file www.wantok.net.pg/index.htm which i realise was maybe a mistake because the two sites were created by different designers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

www.wantok.net.pg is Site A and www.em.com.pg is Site B

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@AARON22417749wsjs  so finally you've solved your problem... there are a bunch of threads everywhere, and it's hard to follow the discussion properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines