• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

DW CC2018: Real time preview only after saving?

New Here ,
Oct 19, 2018 Oct 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

I'm just starting to use DW CC2018. I was on DW cc2015/cs6 before...

And I know very well what Adobe is doing to DW (sigh!).

But I would like to test the real time preview with my websites (php + mysql, usually).

But I can make the preview to update until I save the document.

Is this the real time preview?

All demonstations I've seen display text updating in real time while typing.

But my real time peview updates only after saving the file.

Nor the live preview is updating (weird!) until I save the file.

Is this normal or am I missing something?

TIA for any comment.

Tony

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 19, 2018 Oct 19, 2018

You're talking about Live View, not Real Time Preview. Currently, DW has four separate preview functions: Real Time Preview, Live View and Open in Browser and Design View.

Real Time Preview - Uses your actual browsers to open a frameset on Adobe's server that continually refreshes the page you are working on. Doesn't always work correctly (never has for me).

Live View - Uses Dreamweaver's built-in, mostly-there Chrome browser to view your local page. Currently better than it ever has been, could s

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FWIW, it has never worked correctly for me, since its introduction several versions back. I've always had to save the document to see the update in the browser. Since that's essentially identical to how it works with Preview in Browser (without sending my file to Adobe's servers), I modified my CC2018 to use PiB on F12, instead of Real Time Preview, and never looked back.

You can also right click the document name tab, or the file name in the Files window, and choose Open in Browser, which is the old Preview in Browser.

In CC2019, they gave us an option under Preferences > Real Time Preview to just turn it off by defaulting to Static Browser Preview instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally agree with Jon.  Live Preview, or any other preview feature that isn't Preview In Browser, is a bad idea.  Adobe isn't in the business of churning out browsers, so Live Preview et al cannot and do not give you what an actual browser will do.

To see what your code will do in a browser, open it in a browser.  And not just one, but several.  I code primarily for FireFox, but test in FF, IE, Edge, and Chrome, and adjust accordingly.  It simply is the best way to know how your code and code changes will appear "in the wild".

V/r,

^ _ ^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're talking about Live View, not Real Time Preview. Currently, DW has four separate preview functions: Real Time Preview, Live View and Open in Browser and Design View.

Real Time Preview - Uses your actual browsers to open a frameset on Adobe's server that continually refreshes the page you are working on. Doesn't always work correctly (never has for me).

Live View - Uses Dreamweaver's built-in, mostly-there Chrome browser to view your local page. Currently better than it ever has been, could still be missing parts, I haven't tested it all out yet.

Open in Browser - (Formerly Preview in Browser) - Uses your actual browsers to view the page locally.

Design View - A total misnomer. Has never been an accurate way of viewing a page design, but does allow easier access for quick edits than Live View

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

While I do have DW CC 2015 on my internet-connected system at work, I have never used, never wanted to use, Design View, Live View, or Real Time Preview.  So I'm not familiar with those.  Everything I do is Open In Browser.

My DEV system has DW CS 5.5 and I absolutely love it (MUCH moreso than any of the CC versions), but even still I don't use Design View or anything other than Preview In Browser.  I really wish Adobe would do away with DV, LV, and RTP, because they are so horribly mangled; they convince beginner developers that they are decent, well-working aspects of an IDE.  They are not.

Anyway, didn't mean to hijack this thread.  Just had to get my two cents in on this issue.

V/r,

^ _ ^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines