• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[DW15] Change the name pattern of "_notes" to ".notes"?

Contributor ,
Apr 03, 2019 Apr 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mostly I use DW to manage files locally, but for serious manipulations I prefer to use my fully featured file manager.

In the filemanager - of course - I see the subfolders "_notes".

I would like to hide them. The easiest way would be to change the name pattern from "_notes" to ".notes", because by default all files/folders which beginn with a "." are hidden (in the filemanager).

Is it possible to configure DW to change the name pattern?

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 04, 2019 Apr 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No!

And why would you? What can be serious enough to warrant exiting Dreamweaver to use another file manager?

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Ben.

One of several usecases/reasons:

Batch renaming of (image) files. My file manager is excellent in that. DW can't do that at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the right tools for the task.  Adobe Bridge  is  a dedicated digital assets manager.  Use Bridge to batch rename files.

How To Batch Rename Images With Adobe Bridge

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a right tool for batch renaming yet, Nancy.

But I like to know, why you disagree, that it is a bad idea of Adobe to use "_notes" for the name pattern instead of ".notes".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I neither agree nor disagree.  In my world, anything after a dot is only a file extension.

.txt

.php

.html

.svg

.css

.js

.etc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there no standard name pattern to hide files with windows?

Even if not: wouldn't it be a good idea for Adobe to use the name pattern, which hides a file on a Unix/macOS file system?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't normally hide files on Windows.   I have no reason to.  But it is possible to change file or folde attributes to HIDDEN with a right-click.

Even if not: wouldn't it be a good idea for Adobe to use the name pattern, which hides a file on a Unix/macOS file system?

I can't think of a single reason why that would be a good thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dreamweaver uses the _notes designation for managing the Design Notes feature. If you don't use Design Notes, simply turn them off, and Dreamweaver will no longer generate those files. Otherwise, you'll break Dw's connectivity with the files that have attached design notes if you rename from _notes to anything else.

Hope this helps!
Make sure to press "✔ Correct Answer" on this post if this answers your question. Happy Creating!
Anissa • @anissat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anissa.
I thought "Design Notes" are neccessary when you are using the site synchronisation to upload files from the local site to the remote server.

If it is not needed for that purpose, I can disable it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 08, 2019 Apr 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anissa.
I checked, where the information about site synchronisation is stored.

I was right, it is inside the folder "_notes".

So I cannot disable design notes to get rid of the folder "_notes".

It seems there's no way to solve the task.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 09, 2019 Apr 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That brings us back to the first reply:

I am sure that your file manager will allow you to select files that need renaming.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I respect that you are not convinced, that there are several usecases/task where a fully feature filemanager is far better than the file manager of dreamweaver. I mentioned only one task (batch renaming).

My point is not, that my file manager could not exclude files for batch renaming, he can of course.

I just told you only one single reason why I use a file manager.

And when I use it, I don't want to see folders, that I never need to handle with. They bother me.

We can stop the discussion, because we agree to disagree.
There is no way at all for me to get rid of the "_notes", when I want to continue to use the site synchronisation. Bad luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

mistershortcut  wrote

There is no way at all for me to get rid of the "_notes", when I want to continue to use the site synchronisation. Bad luck!

Glad yo have come to this conclusion. I have marked this topic as 'Assumed Answered'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nancy. Well, we can just state, that we disagree about the sense of the visibility of folders "_notes" in a file manager.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines